Layout & Plan File for Details


builtright3
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think you are talking about putting details in a separate plan.  I have been using that since the beginning of time and it works well.  

 

You also talked about putting them on different floors/levels.....  I did that for a short time....  I found it quicker to keep them on the same level....  the advantage of different levels is is quicker to update when you zoom in and out.

 

Since I use the SAM,  the detail plan is already in layout and there are already a bunch of the standard details in the plan that I can shuffle around.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice video Joe and I like your approach. I like the use of Plan Views that save the floor number and your overall creative approach.

 

Like Scott, I have a plan file with details as well and I have also used floors to separate detail types but now have so many details that they are spread around all my floors and I just go to the closest relevant detail (no matter the floor) and start from there.

 

Over the many (20?) years of using Chief I have found that none of the details in their library are correct for any building detail I need for a specific job and even find I rarely have the correct detail in my detail plan file as is the nature of many custom details. I end up using an existing detail, copy and paste it in another location on the plan sheet and modify from there.

 

Also my business model requires very few details as I hand most of that off to a structural engineer but am constantly creating custom details for small job requirements and like Scoot, and perhaps you now, have a separate plan file for that purpose.

 

Not sure of the approach I would take tomorrow with Plan Views and all but I think you are on to something as you customize the idea to fit your specific needs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Guy's,

 

As I work through setting up these plan templates and library I'm trying to keep items more in the library and pulling them out as I need them.

No offence to others that have their own opinion and their way of drawing their plans but I have always built my plan's from a builder prospective with only putting the information on the plan that is needed to build the project. We have so many designers and architects these days that want to use boiler plates that clutter up the plan. I have a job right now that I'm building and they have details on the plan that have nothing to do with the build and there is a list of 17 different floor finishes and we are only using two of them. Boiler plates are great but you have to edit them otherwise you just confuse the builder and mistakes and misunderstandings happen. So the library is a very powerful tool if organized correctly.

With that said, I'm not trying to make a bunch of pre-made boiler plates. I'm trying to simplify the flow of transferring information from the library and other places as easy as possible to avoid the clutter. Less clutter also means less pages or just less clutter on one page. No need to cram everything on one page when you can just make another page to keep it simple and easy to read. With that said, there is nothing wrong with general notes as a boiler plate page but I keep them on their own page and I think most do that anyway.

 

Thank you both for giving me your wisdom on this subject to help me accomplish this task.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

...but I have always built my plan's from a builder prospective with only putting the information on the plan that is needed to build the project. We have so many designers and architects these days that want to use boiler plates that clutter up the plan. I have a job right now that I'm building and they have details on the plan that have nothing to do with the build and there is a list of 17 different floor finishes and we are only using two of them.

That's been my experience as well. It's a bit like the more useless detail pages are included in the plans the more valuable that set of plans somehow becomes? The builders I work with appreciate simple, clear and most of all relevant details, and nothing more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have all my details  ( 1000 or more)  in the lib. also, the only thing is you can't send them to the layout at any  scale , so I note in the layout no scale .   the time it would take to re-draw all my details would not be worth it for me b/c most of the details were brought in from a cad program 15 years ago.. How boring would that be.   Wish there was an easier way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I have all my details  ( 1000 or more)  in the lib. also, the only thing is you can't send them to the layout at any  scale , so I note in the layout no scale .   the time it would take to re-draw all my details would not be worth it for me b/c most of the details were brought in from a cad program 15 years ago.. How boring would that be.   Wish there was an easier way.

 

I get it. I have a lot of old details also. I decided to take on the task to clean mine up one job at a time and update them. I'm sure my amount of work is no where near what yours is because I don't draw full time but I am working into drawing full time as my boy's are taking over the company. So now that i'm just turning 55 this year Its a good time for me to clean things up because I plan on doing plans for about 10 more years. I'm getting myself better prepared for more production.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

That's been my experience as well. It's a bit like the more useless detail pages are included in the plans the more valuable that set of plans somehow becomes? The builders I work with appreciate simple, clear and most of all relevant details, and nothing more.

 

I think you hit the nail on the head. Plans look more impressive even though 30% of the information is useless. I would rather put more time into better clarification of how to build it and better accuracy with the measurements to make things easier for the builder. I mean, ins't that what were supposed to be doing anyway?

Anyway, I don't want to go down that rabbit hole!

Thank you again for the encouragement

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, dshall said:

I think you are talking about putting details in a separate plan.  I have been using that since the beginning of time and it works well.  

 

You also talked about putting them on different floors/levels.....  I did that for a short time....  I found it quicker to keep them on the same level....  the advantage of different levels is is quicker to update when you zoom in and out.

 

Since I use the SAM,  the detail plan is already in layout and there are already a bunch of the standard details in the plan that I can shuffle around.

 

 

 

Thank Scott!

I haven't heard much from you lately! What's happening?

I miss your video's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are placing your cad details in a separate plan (or even the same plan), you could utilise Plan Views to quickly locate them.

Zoom in to your cad detail wherever it is located and save a Plan View (check Remember Zoom and save the floor if needed), name it to identify the detail's name.

Then all you need to do to find the detail is to select it's name from the Plan View dropdown or the Project Browser and Chief will go to the correct floor and zoom into the correct detail, ready for use.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, glennw said:

If you are placing your cad details in a separate plan (or even the same plan), you could utilise Plan Views to quickly locate them.

Zoom in to your cad detail wherever it is located and save a Plan View (check Remember Zoom and save the floor if needed), name it to identify the detail's name.

Then all you need to do to find the detail is to select it's name from the Plan View dropdown or the Project Browser and Chief will go to the correct floor and zoom into the correct detail, ready for use.  

LOVE it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, glennw said:

If you are placing your cad details in a separate plan (or even the same plan), you could utilise Plan Views to quickly locate them.

Zoom in to your cad detail wherever it is located and save a Plan View (check Remember Zoom and save the floor if needed), name it to identify the detail's name.

Then all you need to do to find the detail is to select it's name from the Plan View dropdown or the Project Browser and Chief will go to the correct floor and zoom into the correct detail, ready for use.  

I like your photo! Your such a cute little guy!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, builtright3 said:

 

Yes, its something to be proud of. I'm in that place of enjoying grand-kids right now. Best thing ever in life at those young ages! Wouldn't trade it for the world!

 

You get to play with them, then you give them back to the parents later after you spoil them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, glennw said:

If you are placing your cad details in a separate plan (or even the same plan), you could utilise Plan Views to quickly locate them.

Zoom in to your cad detail wherever it is located and save a Plan View (check Remember Zoom and save the floor if needed), name it to identify the detail's name.

Then all you need to do to find the detail is to select it's name from the Plan View dropdown or the Project Browser and Chief will go to the correct floor and zoom into the correct detail, ready for use.  

 

This is a VERY GOOD tip Glenn.  Thank you.  Can make very quick work of managing warehouse plans for all sorts of purposes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

 

This is a VERY GOOD tip Glenn.  Thank you.  Can make very quick work of managing warehouse plans for all sorts of purposes. 

Yes agreed and there's another part, if your details are saved in a separate plan file they must at some point be sent to layout. If 'send as current screen' they can be double clicked and returned to the detail page and the exact detail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, glennw said:

If you are placing your cad details in a separate plan (or even the same plan), you could utilise Plan Views to quickly locate them.

Zoom in to your cad detail wherever it is located and save a Plan View (check Remember Zoom and save the floor if needed), name it to identify the detail's name.

Then all you need to do to find the detail is to select it's name from the Plan View dropdown or the Project Browser and Chief will go to the correct floor and zoom into the correct detail, ready for use.  

Glenn,

Are you talking one detail per floor or a group of details on the same floor and using the zoom. So in other words; Would you lable the plan few (for example) Foundation, raised floor 1 or whatever floor it is on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, builtright3 said:

Glenn,

Are you talking one detail per floor or a group of details on the same floor and using the zoom. So in other words; Would you lable the plan few (for example) Foundation, raised floor 1 or whatever floor it is on?

 

I am talking about having the details anywhere in the plan, grouped by floor or not by floor, or on any floor in the plan.

As long as you use Remember Zoom and Floor whenever you save the Plan View of the detail.

When you then switch to a Plan View which uses the detail name (can be any name you like, but probably the same as the detail name as Larry shows), you will always end up with the correct detail being dispalyed, ready for use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, glennw said:

 

I am talking about having the details anywhere in the plan, grouped by floor or not by floor, or on any floor in the plan.

As long as you use Remember Zoom and Floor whenever you save the Plan View of the detail.

When you then switch to a Plan View which uses the detail name (can be any name you like, but probably the same as the detail name as Larry shows), you will always end up with the correct detail being dispalyed, ready for use.

 

Thank You Sir!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Member Statistics

    32380
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    Chiefismeantome
    Newest Member
    Chiefismeantome
    Joined