Wondering if there is a way to make letters into polyline solids so that I can attach them to another solid to make an embossed look?

Can't do it in Chief. I suggest Sketchup, which will create any font installed on your system as 3D text:

text.thumb.PNG.94dfc3826b83b5a7034208b01f7a7161.PNG

With a little work you can do embossing, then import it into Chief:

emboss.thumb.PNG.571794014e9c2968ed8e255a216b004a.PNG

• Upvote 1

If I need 3D letters like that, Here what I do:

1. Use Sketchup to create the letters
  2. Import those into Chief as a symbol
  3. Create a CAD Detail From View to get the extrusion shapes
  4. Cut/paste those into plan
  5. Convert them into polyline solids
  6. Convert to solids if necessary
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys. Very good. Looks like eventually I am going to have to quit avoiding learning a bit about sketchup.;)

For whatever its worth, this one thing (3D lettering) is almost the only thing I personally use Sketchup for anymore.

• Upvote 1

From what I can see, the free sketchup will not do lettering and I don't think I am in the mood to pay for it so I will have to find a way to work around this.

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, MN_JohnH said:

From what I can see, the free sketchup will not do lettering and I don't think I am in the mood to pay for it so I will have to find a way to work around this. 

Thanks!

It's in there.  Go to Tools>3D Text

• Upvote 1

Here is a link to a thread where @yusuf-333 demonstrates a method of sending to PDF and converting to DWG that works for text and dimensions.

Not all Chief but it very easily could be in the next version or two.;)

• Upvote 1