Schedule Problem

rlackore

I'm really struggling with trying to put together a Room Finish Schedule. This is my first attempt, so doubtless I'm just being stupid. I'm furring out the basement walls, and when the furred walls are defined in the Wall Specification dbx as Structure>Furred Walls, the Wall Material displayed is for the concrete foundation walls:

post-95-0-78757900-1409673181_thumb.png

If I try to fix this problem by defining the furred walls as Structure>Frame Through, the Wall Material displayed is for the furred walls, but a zero-area room is created that cannot be selected to exclude from the schedule:

post-95-0-60696800-1409673270_thumb.png

Any insight would be appreciated.

Move one of the Furred Walls away from the Concrete Wall.  This will allow you to select the Room and specify "Exclude from Schedule", after which, you can move the Furred Wall back against the Concrete Wall.

Kind of works. Problem is I've go so many walls and openings and intersections that I can't do this unless I basically start from scratch.

If you aren't worried about the materials list, you can just copy and rename the conc. wall material for those walls to furred / drywall, its just a name.

I'd already tried this, and it's probably my best bet. Unfortunately, I'll have to break the foundation wall in several places to assign new interior materials. Maybe I'll try modifying the foundation wall definition with a zero-thickness layer and assign it the interior finish. The strange thing is that not all of the basement rooms have this problem.

It seems like CA should reference the innermost finish wall surface of a room to generate the Room Finish Schedule.

Robert,

You only need to move one wall in order to select the room, not all of them. 

Yeah, I understand. What I meant is that the basement is already subdivided into a whole bunch of rooms and I'd have to move a whole bunch of furred walls to select all the zero-area rooms.

Randy,  this is a great question.  Post your plan and I will see if I can have a play with it......GW,  any ideas.

I wonder if this has anything to do with how the wall is defined,  what the main layer is,  etc.,  bottom  line,  those studs should show in the materials list.

Without the plan I'm not 100% sure that I understand the problem.

Is there any reason why you can't define the wall as one wall instead of a furred wall?

Specifying a wall as "no room def" may help if you can't move walls - but then, I am talking off the top of my head as I don't have the plan and I don't even have access to Chief at the moment.

Without the plan I'm not 100% sure that I understand the problem.

Is there any reason why you can't define the wall as one wall instead of a furred wall?

Specifying a wall as "no room def" may help if you can't move walls - but then, I am talking off the top of my head as I don't have the plan and I don't even have access to Chief at the moment.

Now I am not sure what the  problem was.  I was thinking that the furred walls,   whether part of conc wall or not (non room def wall etc.),  was not being included in the material take off.  I think the furred out walls  (the 2x4 framing) IS INCLUDED IN MATERIAL LIST,  and I thought Robert was  saying is was not,  I just tested and the 2x furred walls are included.

But still the 2x4 furred studs DO NOT SHOW IN 3D ,  I think they should..... (assuming the studs are not a main layer wall.

GW,  I'm with you,  I do not understand  Robert's issue.

Sorry Robert,  I think I referred to you as Randy before.

But still the 2x4 furred studs DO NOT SHOW IN 3D ,  I think they should..... (assuming the studs are not a main layer wall.

D dot,

I believe a framing layer HAS to be main layer to generate framing?

I believe that you can define a wall layer as framing, but the framing will not build unless that layer is a main layer?

As, usual, I could be completely wrong as I am working from memory - (I am sitting in Frankfurt airport on my way home).

D dot,

I believe a framing layer HAS to be main layer to generate framing?

I believe that you can define a wall layer as framing, but the framing will not build unless that layer is a main layer?

As, usual, I could be completely wrong as I am working from memory - (I am sitting in Frankfurt airport on my way home).

Hi GW,

You are absolutely correct in everything you said.

I was thinking about you and Jennie the other day hoping you guys enjoyed your river cruise.  Of course I am very envious.

The other day I was corresponding with Antoine who lives in the Seychelles ,  I don't know if you caught that,  but he offered to pick up any CA user from the main island and he would take you over to his personal island,  and again I thought of you and Jennie.  You guys are so close,  you might consider taking him up on the offer.

He did not say whether or not he would book a room for you in the expensive hotel over there or whether he would offer you a room in his palatial palace on his own personal island......  actually he only owns a third of it..........  that might sound like a big place but........ I bet it's only half the size of Joe  Carrick's estate......  or what's left of it after his kitchen fire.

His wife should keep him out of the kitchen from here on out.

Say hi to Jennie,  and have a safe flight back to paradise.

.... (10,000km v 18,000km),.....

km's,  what the heck are km's,  will you guys ever learn to speak English?  Miles my friend it's miles,  anyway,  km's or miles,  you are right,  it's still a long way........  hmmmmmm...  isn't Frankfort even further away from Paradise than the Seychelles.