Roof Framing Out of place + Not trim to soffit

WhistlerBuilder

Hi Chiefers,

I am having a weird issue where the roof framing is being generated out of place. It is also ignoring the option to "Trim Framing To Soffits" option and extending the "I Joist" rafters outside of the walls. I have tried all sorts of things to get this fixed and I cant figure it out. Any suggestions?

I attached 3 images of the issue and a copy of the top floor / roof in a separate file (original complete file is HUGE)

Roof Framing Problem 1.jpg

Roof Framing Problem 2.jpg

Roof Framing Problem 3.jpg

Roof Problem.plan

Chief does not seem to want to trim I Joists which is understandable but I am surprised it is actually programmed that way based on how other features work.  The bigger mystery is why will the roof not frame all the way to what would be the top if it had pitch ?  Interesting though that when each building is a different size the rafters seem to have a maximum length that is the same. This can be duplicated in a test plan but does not seem to be consistent other than the length gets shorter as the pitch is reduced, hummm.....  maybe chief is calculating spans now.

I solved this by creating two roofs for each building split off the center line. Apparently chief bugs out when your roofs are too long because of some unpublished framing member size limit. Also, chief cannot "trim to soffit" I Joist framing members, but it can trim dimensional lumber, so swapping to lumber solves the graphical error and placing the joists in the long side overhangs.

Weird bugs that I would love to see someone from QA address. My drafting/architect friends that use Revit/archicad do not have this issue...

2 hours ago, WhistlerBuilder said:

I solved this by creating two roofs for each building split off the center line. Apparently chief bugs out when your roofs are too long because of some unpublished framing member size limit. Also, chief cannot "trim to soffit" I Joist framing members, but it can trim dimensional lumber, so swapping to lumber solves the graphical error and placing the joists in the long side overhangs.

Weird bugs that I would love to see someone from QA address. My drafting/architect friends that use Revit/archicad do not have this issue...

I tried this also...  no luck...  nice job....  

3 hours ago, WhistlerBuilder said:

Send the Test Plan in or they won't know there is an Issue........

M

On 10/27/2018 at 4:45 AM, glennw said:

Just as a heads up.

Do you realise that most of your external walls are not drawn perfectly ortho, ie, they a slightly off 0 and 90 degrees.

Hi Glennw,

Yes I know this. For some reason chief does this when you copy / paste plans. You can have it perfect in the source of the copy, but once you paste it chief makes the walls a slightly different angle for some reason. It is a silly bug that is immensely frustrating when working with apartment style buildings where you design a unit type then copy/paste it into the structural grid. It also happens when you copy/paste whole floors when you have identical designs. To fix this you have to go around to each wall individually and click to fix it. There is no "align all" feature to compensate for this bug. It is an annoying little problem that is easier to ignore than to deal with.

On 10/27/2018 at 10:39 AM, DRAWZILLA said:

I'm pretty sure that you aren't allowed to trim any I joists, look in the manufacture's specs. Trimming destroys the integrity  of them..

Hi Drawzilla,

You are correct, but if you are using this for roofs you would frame lookouts for the overhangs with regular dimensional lumber attached to the joists. You can also get them custom fabricated to carry the overhang in a trimmed format. Chief can't figure out how to use this material and do that properly. It's an annoying little bug. To do a proper roof framing plan you have to draw it manually.

6 hours ago, WhistlerBuilder said:

Hi Glennw,

Yes I know this. For some reason chief does this when you copy / paste plans. You can have it perfect in the source of the copy, but once you paste it chief makes the walls a slightly different angle for some reason. It is a silly bug that is immensely frustrating when working with apartment style buildings where you design a unit type then copy/paste it into the structural grid. It also happens when you copy/paste whole floors when you have identical designs. To fix this you have to go around to each wall individually and click to fix it. There is no "align all" feature to compensate for this bug. It is an annoying little problem that is easier to ignore than to deal with.

You should send this in as a bug.

I have never seen this before.