WhistlerBuilder

Roof Framing Out of place + Not trim to soffit

Recommended Posts

Hi Chiefers,

 

I am having a weird issue where the roof framing is being generated out of place. It is also ignoring the option to "Trim Framing To Soffits" option and extending the "I Joist" rafters outside of the walls. I have tried all sorts of things to get this fixed and I cant figure it out. Any suggestions?

 

I attached 3 images of the issue and a copy of the top floor / roof in a separate file (original complete file is HUGE)

Roof Framing Problem 1.jpg

Roof Framing Problem 2.jpg

Roof Framing Problem 3.jpg

Roof Problem.plan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chief does not seem to want to trim I Joists which is understandable but I am surprised it is actually programmed that way based on how other features work.  The bigger mystery is why will the roof not frame all the way to what would be the top if it had pitch ?  Interesting though that when each building is a different size the rafters seem to have a maximum length that is the same. This can be duplicated in a test plan but does not seem to be consistent other than the length gets shorter as the pitch is reduced, hummm.....  maybe chief is calculating spans now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is there a maximum length for framing members now? I would really like to solve this as these plans are going in for DP soon. I can cheat and hide this issue, but it will come up when I start doing construction drawings....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I solved this by creating two roofs for each building split off the center line. Apparently chief bugs out when your roofs are too long because of some unpublished framing member size limit. Also, chief cannot "trim to soffit" I Joist framing members, but it can trim dimensional lumber, so swapping to lumber solves the graphical error and placing the joists in the long side overhangs.

 

Weird bugs that I would love to see someone from QA address. My drafting/architect friends that use Revit/archicad do not have this issue...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WhistlerBuilder said:

I solved this by creating two roofs for each building split off the center line. Apparently chief bugs out when your roofs are too long because of some unpublished framing member size limit. Also, chief cannot "trim to soffit" I Joist framing members, but it can trim dimensional lumber, so swapping to lumber solves the graphical error and placing the joists in the long side overhangs.

 

Weird bugs that I would love to see someone from QA address. My drafting/architect friends that use Revit/archicad do not have this issue...

 

I tried this also...  no luck...  nice job....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WhistlerBuilder said:

 

Weird bugs that I would love to see someone from QA address. My drafting/architect friends that use Revit/archicad do not have this issue...

 

Send the Test Plan in or they won't know there is an Issue........

 

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes please do send this one in.  It will benefit all and you just need to reference the forum link and it is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as a heads up.

Do you realise that most of your external walls are not drawn perfectly ortho, ie, they a slightly off 0 and 90 degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure that you aren't allowed to trim any I joists, look in the manufacture's specs. Trimming destroys the integrity  of them..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 4:45 AM, glennw said:

Just as a heads up.

Do you realise that most of your external walls are not drawn perfectly ortho, ie, they a slightly off 0 and 90 degrees.

 

Hi Glennw,

 

Yes I know this. For some reason chief does this when you copy / paste plans. You can have it perfect in the source of the copy, but once you paste it chief makes the walls a slightly different angle for some reason. It is a silly bug that is immensely frustrating when working with apartment style buildings where you design a unit type then copy/paste it into the structural grid. It also happens when you copy/paste whole floors when you have identical designs. To fix this you have to go around to each wall individually and click to fix it. There is no "align all" feature to compensate for this bug. It is an annoying little problem that is easier to ignore than to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 10:39 AM, DRAWZILLA said:

I'm pretty sure that you aren't allowed to trim any I joists, look in the manufacture's specs. Trimming destroys the integrity  of them..

Hi Drawzilla,

 

You are correct, but if you are using this for roofs you would frame lookouts for the overhangs with regular dimensional lumber attached to the joists. You can also get them custom fabricated to carry the overhang in a trimmed format. Chief can't figure out how to use this material and do that properly. It's an annoying little bug. To do a proper roof framing plan you have to draw it manually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WhistlerBuilder said:

 

Hi Glennw,

 

Yes I know this. For some reason chief does this when you copy / paste plans. You can have it perfect in the source of the copy, but once you paste it chief makes the walls a slightly different angle for some reason. It is a silly bug that is immensely frustrating when working with apartment style buildings where you design a unit type then copy/paste it into the structural grid. It also happens when you copy/paste whole floors when you have identical designs. To fix this you have to go around to each wall individually and click to fix it. There is no "align all" feature to compensate for this bug. It is an annoying little problem that is easier to ignore than to deal with.

You should send this in as a bug.

I have never seen this before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27500
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    TrueCADD
    Newest Member
    TrueCADD
    Joined
  • Similar Content

    • By josiemlittle
      Hello, I’m needing help lowering the roof. I’m trying to make a 50x80x16 shop with the pitch lower than the default gable height. I’m new to this and I’m hoping this software will help build our dreams on our farm. I want the look of the attached photo with the front being the 80 ft side. 

    • By amydutton
      How do I put a roof return on this roof? Can't find a video about it anywhere on the Chief Website... is there another name for it?
       
      See attachment, and where I drew in black.
       

    • By 9atatimer
      I'm using X11 premier on a mac -- I have an exterior garage wall (with a centered garage door) and a gable end -- I'd like to split the attic wall of the gable end into 3 parts -- the central region above the garage door, and the left and right, to have a different material above the garage door.

      I have Default Settings > Roof > Auto Rebuild Roof set to Off
      I have Default Settings > Framing > Automatically Build Floor and Ceiling Framing Off on all framing types.
      I have Default Settings > Walls > General Walls > Auto Rebuild Attic Walls set to Off

      If I delete the roof and ceiling planes with Build > Roof > Delete [X] and then use the Build > Roof > Build Roof ... dialog to rebuild the roof and attic from scratch -- I leave the Auto Rebuild Roofs set to Off, to be clear -- and then edit the resulting gable roof on the attic layer, I can split it twice to produce the three separate wall sections, but once I change the exterior material on any of the sections, the three wall segments get replaced with a single wall again.  The new wall has my selected material, but that does me no good as I need the distinct secgments.

      Anyone know what setting do I need to turn off to maintain the manually edited gable end?  Or is this a mac bug?

      Or, barring that, does anyone know what approach will let me give the desired finish detail (attached a pic of a freehand elevation)?