layers and floor levels

MN_JohnH

I drew some cad lines while I was looking at the basement floor level, working plan view. These are lines associated with the terrain and I would like to see them when I switch to the first floor. I click the up arrow to go up one floor and now I see the first floor plan but my cad lines are gone. They are on the cad default layer which is still checked as visible but they are only visible to me when I am on the basement floor. Same with terrain, if I draw the terrain while I am on the basement floor plan I can't see the terrain lines when I switch to first floor even though the terrain layer is still checked as visible. ??

Thanks for the responses. I have quite a bit of work done on the default cad layer but I did it when I was on 0 floor, (basement), level. I am trying to figure a way to get all that work to show up on the 1, (main floor), level. I found instructions on how to copy from one layer to another but is there a way to copy from on level to another? Thanks again.

• 10 months later...

It still seems like there should be a way to get things like landscaping to show up as I go to a different floor level, (other than using the floor reference display).
Also things like deck footings show up in the plan view on the basement or foundation level but I would like them to show up on the main level plan view as well.
I have a few garage projects where I have an outside stairs and landing up to a living space over the garage and I would like to get the stairs and landing to show up in the plan view on both levels. If I copy and past hold position, it will build a second stairs on the second level going up into space.

Seems like there should be a way to get things to show up as I switch floors, a layer setting or something. Not having any luck searching.

25 minutes ago, solver said:

Why "other than"?

That's exactly what reference display is for. It gives you complete control over what's visible where.

I don't want to just "see" it for my own reference. I want certain things to be visible on different floors and then I can send them to plan view that way. I don't want every wall on the main level to be in red on my second level plan that I send to layout. I just want certain things, (like the outside stairs and landing on my garage or the landscaping), to be there.

23 minutes ago, MN_JohnH said:

I don't want to just "see" it for my own reference. I want certain things to be visible on different floors and then I can send them to plan view that way. I don't want every wall on the main level to be in red on my second level plan that I send to layout. I just want certain things, (like the outside stairs and landing on my garage or the landscaping), to be there.

As Eric said,  learn to understand the ref sets.   They are now more powerful than ever.  You have to learn how to use them.  BTW,  they do not have to be RED,  the can be blue,  gray,  dashed,  heavy etc.  

I did videos on ref sets years ago,  they were done in the beginning of the ref set era and are now outdated but you might still get a bit of an understanding if you were to watch them.  

I think if you did a search of the MRLS and VIDEOS BY DSH,  they might pop up.  Just remember,  they were done years ago before using ref sets were the norm.

• Like 1

A “REF SET” is nothing more than a layerset. You can copy the current default “REF SET” and name the new set anything...if you will be using it as a ref set I’d start the name with this...something like “Ref Set - New Set”.  “New set” being what you will be using it for. Then open this set and turn on/off the layers you want and change the color, line style and weight accordingly.