Recommended Display Settings?

Stevenplane

Good morning!

I noticed that suddenly I cannot get my entire floorplan to fit on my screen, including the DBX toolbar across the bottom.  I'm 99.9% certain it's some sort of display setting issue.

I've Google'd and checked Chief and haven't had luck.  (Hard time thinking of the correct search terms for this issue)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

This is such a difficult problem to describe...I've tried using those keys to no avail.  It zooms to roughly the top 1/3 of the floorplan and doesn't display the bottom 2/3, including the DBX toolbar at the bottom of the screen that normally appears.  

I think it's a windows setting.

I also think it would be easy to search for a fix but I have had no luck soundbiting the problem for search term purposes.

Ok...found a clue...problem sort of fixed itself.  (I hope it "sticks")

I use a Surface Book Pro laptop on a dock with three 27" displays attached.  In order to get a screenshot, I have to shut down the 3 extended monitors and do the screenshot just of the laptop screen.  (If not, I get this GIANT image that shows all 3 screens)

Anyway, everything displayed properly when running from the laptop screen only.

Then when I reconnected the 3 extended displays, everything appears normally now on them too.

I'll let everyone know if this self correction continues to work.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Stevenplane said:

That was my original thought.

I just couldn't find Chief's recommended resolution settings to see if mine were set to that.

My problem was related to Windows not recognizing one of my monitors native resolution. If I checked the display settings it was showing a lower resolution as native for a monitor that actually had a higher native resolution. I could not just select the real resolution as it was not even in the drop down list even though it was showing the correct name of my monitor. Weird, but a second reboot did the trick.

• Upvote 1

I LOVE this new laptop and LOVE the dock/multi-screen setup but it has been glitchy from the beginning with monitor settings/resolutions.  The newest windows update just happened in the last couple of weeks and I was hopeful that would address the remaining glitchiness but it didn't.

My windows toolbar and the bottom often disappears on the main screen even though it appears just fine on the remaining screens.

#FirstWorldProblems

Check the settings for your graphics card.  You probably shouldn't be using "Extended Display".  For my setup I have the Windows Toolbar on all 3 displays but the Desktop is only on the large central monitor. 

With a Laptop you might not have the same options, particularly if you don't have a graphics card separate from the motherboard.

I've had issues at times when changing which monitors I'm connected to and what I have set as primary BUT I run a mix-Standard is: laptop 1920 x 1080; 27" 2560 x 1440 as primary, and a 24" 1900 x 1200. I've mixed/added/swapped in a 15" USB connected, 1920 x 1080 and a 39" 1920 x 1080 TV. Only had an issue once or twice and usually when I've mixed in the USB monitor.

It may matter that I've used a multi-screen utility for a long time; helps with the different resolutions which was a bigger issue prior to Win 10 (great for moving maximized windows accounting for the varied resolutions).

RE screen shots- I recently switched to using the sticky note program I use (also long time- Stickies by Zhornsoft-donationware-nonags) Let's me use a hotkey to take area screenshots. Since I have my stickies default to "always on top" gets to be quite handy to grab a shot of a DBX I need to copy information from or know what I changed.

The OP's  problem maybe to do with Windows Scaling perhaps , particularly if the 3 monitors are not all the same....

Windows Own Snipping Tool work well for screen shots of partial screen shots and know let you choose different shapes or a particular Window too, you can mark up with the Pen too but it doesn't have a text option unfortunately.

it's in Windows Accessories , though I have it pinned to my taskbar....

10 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

The OP's  problem maybe to do with Windows Scaling perhaps , particularly if the 3 monitors are not all the same....

That's why I posted what I deal with - Should have mentioned that I keep everything at "recommended" scaling (100%) and use WinAero Tweak utility to alter fonts so I can see. :)

I used the snipping tool for a while, not nearly as fast for multiple shots but I have to save the sticky as an image if I want to mark it up (XnViewMP)-OTOH easier to have access to later with manage stickies (also a keyboard)