Shadows in Layout

wjmdes

1 minute ago, DRAWZILLA said:

a few versions ago Chief changed that on purpose so the software will be faster, like I said in an earlier post.

apparently, and now I know, that only affects the live view.  With plot lines, color fill, it looks terrible in both layout, preview and pdf.

From CA Support a few minutes ago:

Our development team is currently aware of an issue in which colored Plot Line views that are sent over to a layout sheet may appear to have an offset of some sorts in certain situations. This appears to be the same behavior that you're experiencing within your attached files. I, unfortunately, don't have a timeframe on when this will be fixed, but if you send your views over to a layout using the "Live View" setting instead, or change your existing sent views to be "Live Views," you should no longer experience this problem. 

Also, these types of issues NEVER occur at a good time, like I said earlier, the positive of this as a lot has been learned in this thread by me, which is always a plus

I don't bother with the Print Preview in the print DBX because that is not a guarantee of what you get in the PDF.

Also depending on your print driver what you get in your PDF is not a guarantee of what will print on paper.

There are a lot of variables and a lot of things that can go wrong before it gets to paper.

Id like to say that though "live" i guess works good for presentations, without Plot Lines I think the CONDocs don't look very sharp at the edges - and its a bit sloppy for the visual.  I hope Chief still fixes this issue so we can use Plot Lines.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime in that I have been having this problem recently also. Thought it was because it was a file carried over from X8, but it wasn't happening on my other plans. Chopsaw directed me to this thread and it has helped me a lot... Thanks! Current plan has a 12000+ sqft structure and I had my Terrain excessively large for 3D and landscape. Shrunk my Terrain to just enough and it dramatically improved elevations >Plot Lines/ Color Fill. Not perfect but tolerable at print. Live View seems to be the best option for this plan. Seems to come out crisp. Fills are a little edgy in the PDF when you zoom in, but you cant see it at print. Will see how Live View works and hopefully I don't have issues with it like I do with Live View 3D Images(update on demand) as it slows everything down to a crawl, even when the image is not on the screen.

I did not read all posts.....  here is my issue.......  If I update all views,  and I am on a sheet that does not have the elevations,  the shadows on those exterior elevation will not update.

I have to be on the layout page that has the elevations,  and then when I update all views,  the shadows will correct themselves.  

I have sent this in several times but apparently cannot be duplicated at headquarters.  (I am on a MAC)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dshall said:

I have sent this in several times but apparently cannot be duplicated at headquarters.  (I am on a MAC)

I thought that is how it was supposed to work.  Unfortunately I have had several projects where I have had to use that feature that you are suggesting is a bug because I can't get my floorplan to generate the correct elevation or section and have to leave the view so it is not updated when I print.  Many more bugs to work out of the software if we loose that option.

8 hours ago, BeaconHill said:

Will see how Live View works and hopefully I don't have issues with it like I do with Live View 3D Images(update on demand) as it slows everything down to a crawl, even when the image is not on the screen.

I think you will find it is slow which is why I would like to see a preset that can be toggled for Live Views vs. Plot Lines for speed when working and for quality when printing or presenting from your Layout file.

Update: My Layout file was getting slow after adding 4 elevations using Live View. So I decided to switch the elevations back to Plot Lines until print time. One of them seemed extremely shifted. So I added a cad line and text in the working elevation to see where it shows up in layout. Turns out it is not the colour that has shifted, its the plot lines. Updating the view does not change anything. The first image is my working elevation and the second one shows it in layout. If I send a new elevation to layout or switch it back to live view, it fixes it. However I feel like I cannot trust it. Very strange.

Elevation ok.jpg

Elevation shifted.jpg

2 hours ago, BeaconHill said:

One of them seemed extremely shifted. So I added a cad line and text in the working elevation to see where it shows up in layout. Turns out it is not the colour that has shifted, its the plot lines. Updating the view does not change anything. The first image is my working elevation and the second one shows it in layout. If I send a new elevation to layout or switch it back to live view, it fixes it. However I feel like I cannot trust it. Very strange.

That is a very good example that should get the attention of tech support and maybe even provide the information they need to fix the problem.  Please be sure they get a copy of the plan file.  I have not seen anything that extreme since X8.

I received a response from support. Here is part of the message:

"I spent some time looking at your plan, I'm not certain how the plot lines got so offset. I've submitted your plan to our development department for further testing. Hopefully this issue can be resolved in a future update. In the mean time, I was able to correct the large offset of the view simply by deleting the view from the layout and resending it to the layout. Once I did that, I did still have the plot lines offset from the colors of the view, but not nearly as badly. "

I already "fixed" it by re-sending the elevation to layout, but it is still shifted. But minor compared to what it was. At least they are informed of the issue and maybe it will get fixed in an update.

The odd time I run into this I cheat and make a screen capture of the plan view using snagit and then paste the picture in the layout.  Works pretty good actually.  Of course any connectivity is lost.