Working Drawings

Designer1

Im working on a plan that includes an attic area with FAU and electrical and gas switches.  The only way I can currently demonstrate this is by placing a revision cloud around the items and place them on a wall with side notes.  Also, I noticed you cant place switches, outlets etc unless its on a wall.  Is there a way to show this in a revision cloud for the attic without having to place on a wall?   The engineer team wants the drawings this certain way and I cant get chief to place the electrical items but on a wall below the attic.   Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chad

You can use "CAD Block Management" to "insert" existing 2D symbols, explode them for editing to your particular needs creating a new 2D symbol for your purposes that will go wherever you place it. Place it on the "Electric Layer" so it turns on and off with other grouped objects.

You can also just make new 2D symbols from CAD and text and such items will go where you place them in plan view.

You do not "get Chief to place" anything, you place them to suit your own purposes.

DJP

David,

Thanks for the reply.  So if you have items you want to use from the electrical library, that isn't in the cad blocks library what would be your method of transforming these into cad blocks that could be moved around?

You can make your own symbol and have it attach anywhere.  Export the current one and import it with your requirements.

I hope this is what you are asking.

You don't even have to export it. Just take the symbol from Chief's library and copy it to your user library. Now you can open it and make it sit on the floor so that you can place it anywhere you want.

Nice Tip Tommy , I was going to suggest the same thing as Perry , which I know him and Scott use on all their house's .....ie the extra (unseen) floor...

Mick.

I actually make an attic a floor too...just depends on what I'm doing.

You can also get Chief to place an outlet anywhere you want by using electrical switches and outlets from the "Cabinet Mounted" folder in the library. These items won't look accurate in 3D, but they are not constrained by needing to be placed on a wall. My electrical plans are 2D about 99% of the time, so this works well for me.