FRAMING DETAIL HELP

woodwizard

15 hours ago, robdyck said:

None of our business. 

Really?....   There are many different types of people with various degrees of experience on here.   Some have zero and just bought a program.   I would hope to prevent people from making mistakes which will cost time and money to fix.   I dont know of any engineer who would pass a structure like that.   If they would, I would probably find another if they just had 2 center studs being the only supports in what should be a balloon wall.   The aesthetic suggestions were just that....a suggestion.   If he is happy with the design as presented but was offering a suggestion on how I felt it could be improved with little or no additional cost, and a better structure.    I think NOT saying something is doing more a disservice.  

On 3/22/2018 at 4:48 PM, VisualDandD said:

That is a terrible design structurally

I'm not gonna get into an argument about how it SHOULD be done...frankly I don't have the time or will to do so...I was just showing a quick and incomplete example to get the general idea across. 

On 3/23/2018 at 3:35 AM, dshall said:

I am pretty sure that if you hit f12,  the studs will disappear at gable end and you will be left with gable end truss.

This might be true, but I have personally used the special wall type I mentioned in my post earlier for other reasons.  Most notably...

• I hate how the wider attic walls look in plan views.  Not really an ACTUAL issue...just something I don't like to see.
  • Those attic walls are also necessary down at the eves sometimes and the framing down there is a whole nuther issue.  Using a wall type with no framing layer allows for the finish material to do their job without the occasional (and incorrect) extra studs and plates being generated.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I'm not gonna get into an argument about how it SHOULD be done...frankly I don't have the time or will to do so...I was just showing a quick and incomplete example to get the general idea across. 

Was not directed at you in any way.  Just a general statement.  You are always reaching out to help others figure out how to make chief draw something.   

I was just pointing out the obvious that just because one can draw something, does not mean it will "work" in the real world.   I have spent almost 2 decades building.  More than designing actually....so I tend to look at design from a different perspective.  

And as I am sure you have seen, we get many different levels of experience here on the forum.  Even some that have no experience and buy chief thinking that if it draws it, then it must work.  So like you, I was just trying to "help" from a different perspective.

Much respect as always.

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2018 at 2:23 PM, VisualDandD said:

Really?....   There are many different types of people with various degrees of experience on here.   Some have zero and just bought a program.   I would hope to prevent people from making mistakes which will cost time and money to fix.   I dont know of any engineer who would pass a structure like that.   If they would, I would probably find another if they just had 2 center studs being the only supports in what should be a balloon wall.   The aesthetic suggestions were just that....a suggestion.   If he is happy with the design as presented but was offering a suggestion on how I felt it could be improved with little or no additional cost, and a better structure.    I think NOT saying something is doing more a disservice.  

+1

Personally I feel no duty to offer engineering input here but you made a valid point, structurally speaking.

This program is for designing structures, presumably that will actually be built, with humans occupying the spaces under and within them.

I see no reason why a valid structural concern should be withheld.

A wall like that built with wood will be shaky no matter how it's done, and your advice was wise and valuable.

Yeppers, keep it polite, professional and constructive and say what you think. I have been on the receiving end a time or two and, even with my very thin skin, hurt feelings and a little embarrassment, I was glad that it was said (vs. not said). Let's help each other not hurt each other.