Sometimes Plans Update To Layout And Sometimes Not? I Thought This Was Fixed?

zowie123

If I click through to a plan from layout, make some walls invisible then go back to layout --refresh and everything, it sill shows the walls.  If I click into that plan again the walls are indeed invisible, back to layout, not invisible.   However, on the same layout page, the walls I disappeared on the second floor view--right next to the 1st floor view, are reflected correctly in layout.??

Am I going crazy?  Is there another secret way to refresh?

I ran into this issue with ver 10

took over a plan for a client

didn't even know the user had a "zillion" layersets

drove me crazy till I figured out what was going on

I took time to re-do all the layersets

from then on I only make updates in the plan

if a layout uses multiple plans I might go from layout to a plan

for viewing only - but no updating at all

I thought I saw that this issue was fixed but ???

Lew

Yes there is a secret way and no it has not been fixed. When in Layout click on the offending (non-updating Layout Box) and click on either the 'Object Layers Properties' or the 'Layout Box Layers' dbx, (can't ever remember which) and then just click OK to close the dbx. Updates the Layout box every time.

This was discussed and noted quite a long time ago but I still get caught out just like you and use the above method to update.

SHould be documented but I'n sure the folk at CA are even aware of the problem as it's quite intermittent and almost impossible to replicate.

I to run into this issue from time to time.  tried to replicate the issue with no luck.  it just happens at any point in time.  However, it doesn't just happen with invisible walls for me, it has happened with electrical items and fixtures.  Like Larry says, I just highlight the layout box and open the layer properties box and click ok and it updates fine.  it isn't the end of the world, but it is can be a annoying.

Hello all!

I used to get very frustrated with what printed and not.   Layers on - layers off.  Since then I have started using anno sets with layer sets for almost everything.  I do not touch the layer set that the anno set uses!!!    (Mainly helps me from confusing myself LOL).  This is what I use also to send out to layouts. I never miss turning a layer on / off.

I  use a layer set named (all walls on) for example for a temporary working set allowing me to see and edit all walls.  Then go back to my annoset to reset back to my normal working layers. No more layer on / layer off or forgetting to change back the layers.  A layer set could be created for any temporary use. I make great use of layer sets as a way temporary change the layers on / off to what  I need at the moment.

I use a anno set to have what I want to displayed.  An example would be anno set (1st flr) with layer set (1st flr). Then have a anno set & layer set  for the 2nd floor. The only difference would be maybe the 2nd floor shows the roof in a soft dashed line.
Hope this of some help.

Nice tips on the use of Anno Sets but it doesn't seem like you've experienced the bug that the OP posted about. The thread topic (as I understand it) is about the Layout not being updated with an accurate representation of your current Layer (Anno) Set.

Say you have invisible walls set to show in your Plan file but you check the Layout and they are not showing - they haven't updated as they should. It happens rarely but it does happen - when it does follow the tip above - Open Layer Display Options, click OK - fixed.