Cut Rafter Tail---Impossible Or Not?

Larry_Sweeney

Is there a setting to cut this tail level to the soffit so it shows correctly in a detail? I'm showing what I consider all the settings that deal with changing the rafter and what my setting are set too. I know I can do a cad detail and change everything manually, but I'm trying to avoid it if at all possible. CA keeps telling us that their goal is to make the model as accurate as possible to avoid needing better cad tools or using cad details at all. There "should" be a way to show this rafter tail correctly. Thanks to all in advance for your time and advice.

post-76-0-57515300-1406211139_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-42006500-1406211170_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-36010600-1406211191_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-72428900-1406211215_thumb.jpg

Robert....I thought it should, but it isn't as I have shown. This is also why I show all the settings that I think pertain to "cutting" the rafter. I've played around with all sorts of combinations of settings, but so far I haven't found the right combination. Every time I make a change in the settings I rebuild the roof plane to see what that change does. I was hoping that possibly someone would pick up on the dbx that I might have set incorrectly.

Jim..........Yes, that will cut the rafter tail, but it also makes all the rafters in the roof plane the same size as the gable sub fascia instead of what I have it set to as 7 1/4". I think this should be or is a bug. I think the gable sub fascia should only affect the soffit area framing, not the entire roof plane. That is unless I'm missing something. I have the gable sub fascia set at 4 13/16" to allow me to make the gable trim detail I show.

post-76-0-94994900-1406217442_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-46095400-1406217560_thumb.jpg

It appears to be a roof over a deck or porch ?, rather than a Room , not sure if that is somehow effecting the out come of the Trim to Soffit check box ? and it cutting ALL the rafters down ?

probably not I suspect the Porch Room is set to "Use Soffit surface for ceiling" , so it may do what you are describing thinking the slope ceiling is all soffit.....

Mick, Jim, Robert and others.....Just to let you know. "Use Soffit surface for ceiling" was not checked. It is a Deck and that should not effect it. As a matter of fact everything is checked as it should be to give me the correct results. Out of frustration deleted the roof planes in question and rebuilt them using all the exact same settings and now the rafters are acting correctly. :wacko: I don't know rather to be glad or p***ed off. As far as I can figure there is nothing different between the old roof planes and the new ones.  One other thing I did come to think of was close CA down and reopen it. I know that can be the "majic touch" sometimes. CA can be soooo frustrating at times. Thanks to all for your advice on this matter. Have a great day.

Larry:

many times just pressing F12 can clean things up

I hit it often when making changes, especially structural ones

but sometimes a good slap upside the head via a shutdown of chief

or even rebooting the PC is necessary

Lew

Lew.........I did the "F12 thing" many times while I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I also did the slap upside the head (mine) along with a couple long walks around the property with a beer. It was actually the second time I closed CA and reopened it that I got the correct results. I think the guys at support have my computer somehow wired into their system and were playing with me. :rolleyes:

I'm having this EXACT same problem. I've set up roof framing a thousand times and the sub fascia measurement controls the tail depth every time I've done it. Now, on this plan, I want 2 X 6 rafters with 2 x 4 tails and the sub fascia measurement has no effect on the rafter tail depth. I re-booted with no luck.

I also opened a new plan and every thing works as expected.

I re-built the roof plane and it is now working as expected. A bug for sure but not sure now how to replicate it?

Hope that helps someone else who had/has this same problem.