How can one put a hinged door in a screen porch railing wall?

GeneDavis

You can not use a rail wall to do this.  Create a wall with definitions of screen material.  You can use a pony wall to have the bottom part a different wall type.  A door will then show up as a hinged door.  You may have to create a door to your liking with screen material.  It is a lot of busy work to get it to work.  You could also just notate the elevations as having a screened porch and porch door.

Gene,

This can be done.  After creating your railing wall and setting as Post to Beam:

1. Insert a Door - it will be a Doorway
  2. Select the Doorway, open the dbx, change the type to "Hinged"
  3. Edit the Height to what you want.

It's been this way for a long time but I think it may be working a little better in X9

You could also create a full height custom panel with the bottom, mid, and/or top rails as you want them, screen infill,  and add the door per above.  Only glitch is the space above the door if the door is not the full height of the screen panel. You would have to fudge that in with p-solids or moldings.

The rut I am in for screened porches is a simple post and beam frame, 3.5" thickness, square posts, tenoned into the 3.5" x 12" beam, top of beam up at 8/0 height above deck.

We go full post where screened porch wall meets adjoining building wall, and butt the post tight to the sheathing layer.

Wall runs are sized so we get between-post bays between 2/6 and 2/9 size in width.  A door or doors go into full bays and height wise, run from floor to bottom of beam.

I've played with a test model just now and can get pretty much what we want (X8), except I am unable to control the depth of the beam at the top.  Does X9 give this?

We don't care about seeing screening in 3D or 2D elevations.

2017-01-25_1318.png

On 1/25/2017 at 1:26 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

This can be done.  After creating your railing wall and setting as Post to Beam:

1. Insert a Door - it will be a Doorway
  2. Select the Doorway, open the dbx, change the type to "Hinged"
  3. Edit the Height to what you want.

It's been this way for a long time but I think it may be working a little better in X9

Wow!  I spent an hour on my last job trying to figure out how to do that, and gave up by drawing cad lines.  

Thanks!

Here is a screened porch with a hinged door in one wall.  I moved the wall-side edge of the door to where it would be if the post adjacent it was a 4x4 (3.5" square) and the post tight against the wall sheathing layer.

I get the look I want on the latch side of the door, but Chief shows a line on the hinge side where the half-post is.  Door by me, from my library.

2017-01-29_0822.png