Scale Elevations

Arrenbas

I've been working on a new house project (for many years) using Version 7.09 of CA, marketed under the Better Homes and Gardens name. A week or two ago, I bought the latest CA Suite (for $99 from the CA website) hoping for newer features and a refreshed library. However, I've found that one feature my old version seems to do better than the new version, is draw elevations to scale. In Version 7.09, I can specify a scale for elevation images, just as with floorplans, and print to that set scale. In the new Suite version, an elevation appears to be treated like an image and loses its scale function. I'm preparing printouts for City review and I've actually had to create the same building in both versions of the software in order to be able to use each version for something that it does better than the other. But the apparent loss of the ability to create printed elevations to a set scale makes the newer version seem fundamentally flawed - unless I'm missing something...?

Tony

Tony:

you are referring to the HD product line

this forum is mainly for the Chief Premier users

while HD PRO users can find some benefit to following the Chieftalk forum

the lessor HD products are too limited in their features to find much benefit

check out the Hometalk forum which is dedicated to the HD products

or contact CA's tech support for assistance

the HD ver 7 products are based on Chief X1

Chief is now on Ver X6

Lew

Thanks - I didn't realize there are multiple forums. And while I mentioned Version 7.09, I also mentioned I had just bought a new version which (presumably?) is a dumbed down version of a newer CA platform. It just seems remarkable to me that the "2015 Suite" version is less capable than the version I bought c.9 years ago.

But I'll go to the other forum....

Tony

Not sure 100% but only HD Arch. and HD Pro can do Vector view and Elevations , so he is stuck with Camera view only. Some titles deliberately block some of the 3d view too ,eg you cant see the whole foundation ...nothing below ground , unless that change in recent titles ?

M.

Well it does have an orthogonal-style elevation view (with an elevation button) - but it treats it like a camera view, which doesn't allow for fixing a scale for printing. It surprised me because the lesser version of the software from 9 years ago included elevations with the scale function and scaled printing.

what do people expect from a hundred buck program??

Graeme:

The same function it had 9 years ago ???

Tony:

you should probably discuss with CA's tech support

sorry, earlier I stated that HD ver 7 was based on Chief X1

actually, it was Chief ver 10

I think it was X2 (HD ver 9) where CA revamped all the cameras

also, CA creates the newest version of Chief then when "stable"

they slice and dice and create the various HD titles

so maybe somewhere along the line the decided to change what

was included ???

Lew

Check the tool again. The newer version may have the same option Chief has, in that, you can take the ELEVATION VIEW and then change the camera type from that view. You may need to set the DEFAULT camera view as VECTOR rather than STANDARD. I have attached a screen shot of what the tool looks like in Chief.

post-70-0-38165600-1402539743_thumb.jpg

If I remember right, Suite only let's you create a picture of an elevation but you can't add any annotations or do much with it. You should take a look at Architectural (or even better Pro if it's in your budget).  I think both of these versions will let you do scaled elevations with cad, dimensions, text, etc.