Layer sets change on the fly?

Rashid_Garuba

Perry, why don't you do a quick video and prove us all wrong? Maybe you've found something that no one else knows about.

I don't think I'll fall for that one. right now , too busy to do that. You figure it out , your a big boy. If you could only tell me where you have a problem and what you don't understand, then maybe.

... Michael , you just don't understand Anno-sets like I do...

I can't argue with you there. If you need me to clarify or explain anything please don't hesitate to ask.

And BTW, you really don't need to be so discourteous and insulting. The truth is that you simply USE annosets differently than myself and many others do. I understand how and why you, Scott, and Joe do what you do and you don't see me hurling insults even though I think guys such as yourself are actually limiting yourselves with your very rigid approach. I simply choose not to use the same approach and I have many very good reasons. I've tried explaining to you in the past but I honestly think you just don't listen and choose not to try and comprehend anyone's else's side.

I can assure you that I understand anno sets as well as perhaps any of you and nothing you have suggested is anything new to me. Using your approach would not be an improvement for me personally. It would require WAY too many anno sets and would slow down and disrupt my groove substantially.

I know that you've made anno sets work really well for YOU and that's great, but you could really be more considerate and realize that many of those of us who do things differently do so for good reason and not because our understanding is inferior to yours. The fact is that the way we design with and utilize Chief is just totally different than the way you do and I wish you could just accept that and leave the belittling comments at the door.

You all know you can have more than 1 electrical Anno-set, just create a new electrical Anno-set with furniture and framing. 1 click is all you need.

That's what I do. I have a duplicate of most anno sets. One for sending to layout and one for messing around in plan. I never alter the main anno set used for sending views to layout.

Layout anno set is in all-capitals and the other is all lower case with copy tacked on.

It's always a small sense of satisfaction when I click on the "real" anno set just before sending to layout and seeing everything turn on and off just the way it's supposed to look. :)

I can't argue with you there. If you need me to clarify or explain anything please don't hesitate to ask.

And BTW, you really don't need to be so discourteous and insulting. The truth is that you simply USE annosets differently than myself and many others do. I understand how and why you, Scott, and Joe do what you do and you don't see me hurling insults even though I think guys such as yourself are actually limiting yourselves with your very rigid approach. I simply choose not to use the same approach and I have many very good reasons. I've tried explaining to you in the past but I honestly think you just don't listen and choose not to try and comprehend anyone's else's side.

I can assure you that I understand anno sets as well as perhaps any of you and nothing you have suggested is anything new to me. Using your approach would not be an improvement for me personally. It would require WAY too many anno sets and would slow down and disrupt my groove substantially.

I know that you've made anno sets work really well for YOU and that's great, but you could really be more considerate and realize that many of those of us who do things differently do so for good reason and not because our understanding is inferior to yours. The fact is that the way we design with and utilize Chief is just totally different than the way you do and I wish you could just accept that and leave the belittling comments at the door.

Like I said ,I use about 6 more Anno-sets than what Chief gives us ,and add some when needed. You can use Anno-sets however you want, then don't jump all over my posts with your method is better. to me it's not ,and anyway you have no idea how I use them. I guess I don't understand how you use them, good luck, just trying to help you understand. We all use different ways of doing things and all are welcome here, then you get to choose what you like, that's what this forum is for. Bring on all the different ways good and not so good. That's how everyone learns. I just happen to like my way until another better one comes around.

...then don't jump all over my posts with your method is better...

Where did you get that idea from?  If I actually ever did such a thing I might truly apologize.  I don't believe I ever once did such a thing though and if I did I think you should back up your claim and show me. 

ok here is one

Okay, I'll give you an example. I'm working away on the electrical anno set, which has an electrical plan layer set attached to it. Oh, wait, did I get that light centered over the dining room table? So I turn on my furniture layer just to check. Probably better turn on the the framing layer, too, to make sure there are no conflicts there. Now the electrical layer set has two extra layers turned on. I need to remember to turn them off, or remember to re-import layer sets like Glenn suggested. I SHOULD be able to just double-click the electrical layer set, or press a "restore" button, to get my electrical layer set back to the way I usually want it in my ConDocs.   

+1

WesternDesign, on 19 Jul 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

+1

The simple answer to this is to create a new 2nd electrical Anno-set, "Electrical w- furn. and framing" ,1 click and it's there, then just click back when done.

The simple answer to this is to create a new 2nd electrical Anno-set, "Electrical w- furn. and framing" ,1 click and it's there, then just click back when done.

But then you ALSO have to create a new LAYER SET associated with that Anno Set. Pretty soon you've got six new anno sets and six new layer sets, which may be enough until you need another couple. This proliferation of layers sets and anno sets could be prevented with a very simple addition. Look, this ain't the end of the world right now, but it could be easier than it is. I'm not sure why you have such resistance to a concept that has been well established for years in other programs.

And it should be clear that there is at least a chance of missing that a layer is inadvertently turned off (or on) in your office standard layer set, and that mistake may be there going forward. There is no reason to have to be so vigilant about maintaining your office standards.  

Yeah,  we can do that,  but more work.  I really like the initial suggestion about having to actually decide to change layer set settings.

I am with the other guys,  much easier to quickly turn off a layer without messing up our LAYOUT LAYER SET.  ....hmmmmmm,  has the "Original Curmudgeon" and I ever been on the same page?  This might be a first.

Yeah,  we can do that,  but more work.  I really like the initial suggestion about having to actually decide to change layer set settings.

I am with the other guys,  much easier to quickly turn off a layer without messing up our LAYOUT LAYER SET.  ....hmmmmmm,  has the "Original Curmudgeon" and I ever been on the same page?  This might be a first.

Isn't that what "using active defaults" already is?

Fact is there would be NO reason for any extra sets whatsoever if sets didn't automatically change on you. Users have adapted to what IS a short-coming.

It's a very simple question: Is is not better to avoid creating/needing extra safety sets???? If a new feature will improve the working lives of some (many?) without being negative for anyone why not?

Isn't that what "using active defaults" already is?

If you're talking about "Use Active Layer Set" then the answer is no. All that does is tells your anno set not to change TO any specific layer set.

For example, if you're using your Electrical Anno Set (which you've set to activate your Electrical Layer Set) and then you switch to an Anno Set that's set to Use Active Layer Set, you will still be in your Electrical Layer Set. If you make any changes to your Electrical Layer Set and then click on your Electrical Anno Set again, the changes will not revert or anything like that. They will remain changed.

Remember that were talking about layer sets and layer control here, not anno sets. Anno sets don't control your layers or layer sets. All they do is OPTIONALLY activate the desired layer set. They also decide various active notation defaults but that's another matter entirely and is unrelated to the subject at hand.

If on the other hand you were indeed talking about using "Active Defaults",  that is nothing more than an anno set buffet of sorts where you can select various notation defaults that you would like activated.  You can also select your active layer set here if you like, but again, this tool is really set up to control the notation side of things.  When its comes to layer sets and layer control "Active Defaults" is essentially the same as anno sets but in a pick and choose sort of smorgasbord style. 

Yes, I know what the tool does, but if Chief could arrange it so using Active layer set would just copy the existing layer set, and you could change that, then you could just click on the real electrical layer-set to get back. Kind of a working layer-set.