The Discussion for the Room Planner App for IPAD and the other PAD

dshall

WARNING WARNING WARNING,  a nay sayer is about to pontificate.

I have been following this discussion about the ROOM PLANNER APP,  and I (I have been wrong soooooooo many times),  but I think this  will never work for the power user.

I have measure thousands of jobs,  maybe more than Perry,  and then maybe not.  I cannot imagine trying to put an as built together on site.  The dimensions are never absolute.  When I get back to my office to draw the as builds based on field notes,  there are always minor discrepancies of 1"-3".  When I take field notes,  I draw the plan at 1/8"-1'-0" free hand.  I get the perimeter dimensions and then fit everything inside that space.  If the interior room sizes do not fit with in the space (on site),  I know I have a busted dimension and I go find it.

If you want to draw an as-built on site,  go for it,  but I would bet I could do it faster with the combination of using field notes and then drawing it at the office on a computer that had the power to put it together.  When I measure an as built,  it typically takes between 1.5 and 4 hours.  I go back to the office and put in on the computer takes an additional 6-12 hours.  For a net total of 8-16 hours for a COMPLETE AS BUILT including SITE PLAN,  ROOF PLAN,  EXTERIOR ELEVATIONS,  FLOOR PLANS,  FRAMING PLANS,  FOUNDATION PLAN AND 8-16 BUILDING SECTIONS.

If anybody thinks they can put together a set of as builts faster on site,  I would be most interested in learning the method,  please share.

Bottom line,  this ROOM PLANNER APP is probably geared more for the KITCHEN/BATH REMODELER or the CLOSET ORGANIZER COMPANY.  Putting together a full comprehensive set of as builts together for a house between 1200-3500 s.f. on site sounds like a daunting task.........  

The point of the post is,  for you guys that think this will be a god send,  I seriously doubt it.

But,  I have been wrong so many times before, it would not surprise me if I was wrong again.

• Upvote 1

since I can't draw my method varied from Scott's

during initial visit with client to discuss project I would take photos

lots of photos

at home I would print the photos after changing to very bright - almost washed out

in photo editor to save black ink

print the photos and draw dim lines for everything I would want a dim for

when I do the site visit for measurement

back at home create the chief as-built model

hope I don't have to go back for another site visit to confirm/fix a dim

I have seen postings over the last decade where the poster takes

their laptop or tablet and create the basic as-built floorplan on site within 2 - 4 hrs

I haven't a clue how they can do that ....

Lew

When no plans exist and I must create them, I do so on site only. The problem with field notes is the problem Scott alluded to: what do you do when you get home and they do not add up???

That is why I measure, make notes and then input them into my laptop on a full version of Chief while there. That way when I come to something that does not add up, I am still there to measure it from inside and out until I get that resolved.

I also take digital photos for Architectural detailing and sometimes landscaping that I add when home. Clients and I do not like multiple trips when one elongated one will do.

I do not own a smart phone or pad and so will never be a canadate for the aforenamed app and I agree with Scott in that I believe such a thing is more useful to those who consider a laptop to big and clumsey to tote around. What I do works for me and that is all the happy I need.

DJP

WARNING WARNING WARNING,  a nay sayer is about to pontificate.

I have been following this discussion about the ROOM PLANNER APP,  and I (I have been wrong soooooooo many times),  but I think this  will never work for the power user.

I have measure thousands of jobs,  maybe more than Perry,  and then maybe not.  I cannot imagine trying to put an as built together on site.  The dimensions are never absolute.  When I get back to my office to draw the as builds based on field notes,  there are always minor discrepancies of 1"-3".  When I take field notes,  I draw the plan at 1/8"-1'-0" free hand.  I get the perimeter dimensions and then fit everything inside that space.  If the interior room sizes do not fit with in the space (on site),  I know I have a busted dimension and I go find it.

If you want to draw an as-built on site,  go for it,  but I would bet I could do it faster with the combination of using field notes and then drawing it at the office on a computer that had the power to put it together.  When I measure an as built,  it typically takes between 1.5 and 4 hours.  I go back to the office and put in on the computer takes an additional 6-12 hours.  For a net total of 8-16 hours for a COMPLETE AS BUILT including SITE PLAN,  ROOF PLAN,  EXTERIOR ELEVATIONS,  FLOOR PLANS,  FRAMING PLANS,  FOUNDATION PLAN AND 8-16 BUILDING SECTIONS.

If anybody thinks they can put together a set of as builts faster on site,  I would be most interested in learning the method,  please share.

Bottom line,  this ROOM PLANNER APP is probably geared more for the KITCHEN/BATH REMODELER or the CLOSET ORGANIZER COMPANY.  Putting together a full comprehensive set of as builts together for a house between 1200-3500 s.f. on site sounds like a daunting task.........  

The point of the post is,  for you guys that think this will be a god send,  I seriously doubt it.

But,  I have been wrong so many times before, it would not surprise me if I was wrong again.

I'm not about your pontificating but as fart as measuring and drawing in the field we have done it thousands of times. We take as laptop with Chief and our trusty Disto and complete the field work on site.

I'm not about your pontificating but as fart as measuring and drawing in the field we have done it thousands of times. We take as laptop with Chief and our trusty Disto and complete the field work on site.

Is FART the correct term to be using here?  

Ron,  how long does your on site visit take,  and does that mean you have a complete set of as-builts.  IOW,  how long does it take for you to complete a set of as builts for a 2200 sf two story house on a flat lot.

That is what I am referring to,  is it more expeditious to do everything on site or do the majority of modeling in the office?  I am sure you can draw the as built on site,  but what is the quickest way.....  inquiring minds want to know.

Accuracy relative to time is dependant upon the structure being measured and one's standard of accuracy. I do not see a "one system or way fits all possible occasions" kind of thing. You acess the project and then act accordingly to your own preferences always.

DJP

Yeah, T.I.'s generally not as complicated. Not saying room planner won't work, but I would rather go in with an entire battalion instead of a squad of new recruits...... Hey, not a bad analogy.