rgardner

Members
  • Posts

    2922
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by rgardner

  1. Did you make that screen symbol? That looks great!
  2. Is it possible you have separate copies in the same place and that is why you are seeing it even though the one shows the invisible line style? Joey's method of doing separate boxes (set the one and copy around the border) then joining them all together seems like the easiest way unless you have a very rectangular room without a lot of jogs to it.
  3. What he was saying is you can do the polyline then break it and form it to the area you want. --- Joey beat me to it and explained other easy ways to do it as well.
  4. Personally I seldomly use the actual auto methods of deck support (and I try to use everything as possible with auto-build). It has great potential but it is not versatile enough in lots of cases where I usually allow the deck to auto frame then turn it off and adjust the joists/rim, etc. and I place my own beams and posts as I many times will do flush (2) or (3) 2x's with posts on corners lots of times. But that is just my personal workflow and how I usually handle it.
  5. So just thought I would add I ran into this same issue (very similar design of an as-built deck that we are adding a roof to a portion of the deck. Same idea where it was offset and everything. In the plan it was not behaving like in the case of the OP, and I was able to use a room divider out away from the front railing (parallel about 6" away from corner post) then turned and came back allowing the non post to beam railing to build to it. Then i just pulled those dividers back to the edge of the post. It came out perfect in 2d and 3d with everything on autobuild. Used a doorway to model the transition between the two decks which in vector mode leaves the outline of where the top and bottom rail would be in vector but not in pbr or standard view.
  6. That is true rotate plan can cause serious issues such as X and Y being swapped or the direction instead of clockwise to counterclockwise.
  7. Are you talking about the reverse plan tool?
  8. There are definitely different ways of doing it but I believe Chief designed this tool to use as it has the least amount of problems. I personally although having to adjust some dimensions or annotations occasionally have never had a problem using this. I have seen more issues with non-experienced users using the edit area tool to adjust it than the reverse plan if you simply want to switch the plan side to side.
  9. It's one click for it to be done in the plan file automatically.
  10. I am not very good at remembering to save these files but I happened to still have it open. Here you go for what it is worth. kevin whitt plan.plan
  11. Sheathing builds over sub-fascia which you can unselect. Not sure why you would want to get rid of the fascia itself as that is shown in your pic but yes you can turn it off and zero out anything you don't want. I forgot to uncheck the soffit material.
  12. Kind of like this? This one is using a rafter tail to bring the rafter square cut like you show: This one is without a rafter tail: All auto framing and roof tools. There are probably other ways to get it exactly as you are showing but I am guessing it would require as Erick mentions manual manipulation after auto roof got you to this point.
  13. Although this type of construction does happen alot I would guess there are way more that are single story homes without a "half story" above so the oob settings are generally set for that. Although I am pretty sure that the oob template from chief has plumb cut set so I am guessing your template has been changed to that. But in every job you are going to need to set your defaults for that job. So you should set your roof structure and fascia for the individual job if it is different than your template. If you do just these or more of these style of construction jobs then you could definitely set it to default to those settings.
  14. If this is an as-built there is probably a large fascia board and maybe a frieze and shadow as well? Got any pix of what you are trying to accomplish? Did you try setting your roof to plumb cut and giving it the size of fascia/sub-fascia that it would take to build it and cover the rafters?
  15. As Glenn kindly pointed out there are some issues with your design as far as water penetration goes. Maybe research using a Balcony room and build out the settings as he recommends with some form of water barrier and drain system to control the rain from getting into your home.
  16. I find the F1 key helps alot in these type of situations.
  17. Yup that has been my experience. It would be an awesome tool if the pier/post tool could be set to the top height manually (or automatically if using auto deck framing) and have it set to a certain point above terrain. Would make 3d terrain modeling look that much better with lots less effort.
  18. I may be a little dense but I am a little confused as to what you are searching for with this question. If I am understanding you correctly you have placed piers in what way? I believe for modeling and 2d you should be able to change your original 6x6 posts into the 24x24 cmu piers by changing the post to 24x24 and setting the material to CMU, resize your footing appropriately. You would then just need to set your post top height to the bottom of your beam. Am I understanding your question correctly?
  19. It is tied to the label text definition. So the layer for the label has a text size default setting. Change that to the size you want to use.
  20. Good catch Perry. The Aldo view shown looks to be like the one you are using in your plan 2d view and not your 3d view which uses whatever layerset/defaults you have set for that camera.
  21. Just a guess here since you don't show any pictures of dbx for the layout but you most likely have a saved plan view problem where the layout was referencing a different saved plan view. Other issue may be how you have your layer sets/defaults setup. It sounds like it is pointing towards another view. But sorry hard to tell without seeing what you are talking about.
  22. Move the foundation wall to the new location, or you can select the foundation "room" and unselect roof temporarily until you have things ready.
  23. Looking up design criteria for a project in northern Oregon and came across this interesting info! Anyone else seeing this with covid? They don't claim it is a temporary measure either.