Program Stopped But Says Running ?

BigKahuna

I was working on a freestanding garage and  suddenly I tried some command ( I cant remember what)  when the program simply closed. Sadly I had not yet saved it even though I was pretty far along. 

The issue is now I tried to restart program ...X7 thinking I could simply catch a saved version....but it keeps saying its running already and running 2 is not recommended or even giving me choice for that matter. I have shut down and rebooted and it still wont open for me.  Any suggestions?  I tried task manager but it doesn't show the program running

Any help appreciated

Not sure what happened but I opened  X6 and then closed it and for some reason when I tried x7 this time it opened.

Lost the entire plan. Nothing in archive . Thankfully a smaller simple project easy to recreate.

Lesson learned  save early!

Nelson................I'm sort of having the same problem.https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/7998-x8-beta-and-x7-conflick/  My problem seems to have started after I had downloaded X8 Beta. All my previous versions will open except X7. When I try to open X7 it says it's already running. (does not show it running in the task bar) Do you have X8 Beta downloaded? What did you do to finally get X7 working?

I am having the same issue.  I have x8 Beta downloaded and was working back and forth between them with no problem for a few days, and now it won't let me open x7, stating that it is already running.  It is NOT running.  It is no where in the task manager.  Even after shutting down and rebooting the computer, it says it is already running.  Any solutions?

I am also running windows 7.  I have it figured out - I just called tech support.  Nigel was a great help.

Close the program (restart computer if needed)  Right click on x7 and click "run as administrator".  The program opened without an issue.  Then he had me open a new plan, then close the plan, close the program, and open the program again normally (not as administrator).  It is working fine, once again. :)

Sandi...............I did what Nigel told you to do as you stated in thread #11. Everything is working fine now with X7 opening as it should. Thanks for posting tech support's information. I think this is a X8 Beta bug, but not everyone is having the problem for whatever reason. Have a great day.

It sounds like the problem is that X7 and X8 are fighting over Windows file associations.  Only one program can be associated with ".plan" files at a time.  When you install X8, it takes over the file associations so that Windows will launch X8 when you double-click on a plan file.  Then if you go back and run X7, it tries to take them back.  Normally, this will work just fine.  In some cases, this will not allow you to run the program.

If this is happening to you, then try the solution that Sandi posted above.

If that solution does not work, then please contact technical support for more help.

If you want to manually change file associations, then please see this article for more info:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01131/associating-plan-and-layout-files-with-the-latest-version-of-chief-architect.html

Dermot:

.plan file associations was never an issue before

my partner and I use to switch among the versions all the time

as we had clients that were using the older versions and we had

to work with the same versions as them

we would have .plan associated with the latest version

but we could always work on the earlier versions with no issues

sounds like something is "broke" with X8

Lew

I have not even downloaded the X8 beta.  I figured I would wait until bugs worked out.   I used run as administrator several times. it kept doing same thing.  I opened a Plan in X6  and I believe after closing it and rebooting again   x8 worked for whatever reason.  I have no idea why or what I actually did or didn't do to fix it.  I do know it didn't save about an hour or so worth of work but I blame myself for not saving the work early on as it was a new project.

I did just update to Windows 10 from Windows 8 2 days ago. Not sure if that had any effect.

It does bring to mind as to when I should delete old versions and their X5, X6 data.  I currently am running X7 but have X6 still on here as well as all that data.  I need to clear some of if not all of itb out as its on my smaller C: SSD  and archives and data are taking up around 12 GB. I need to review all that so I don't delete or remove important stuff

Nelson,

I don't think the problems you had were in any way related to what the others were describing.  Although it is possible to have problems with file associations with other versions of Chief (including X6 and X7) it does not sound like this is what happened in your case.  It sounds more like the program crashed but was still in memory.  The reboot was probably what fixed it.