CA no longer allows plans on a network?

DesignPro-Diane

Just updated from x6 to x7. Imagine my surprise to get an error message about a drive not available instead of getting my plan on screen.

Support says, "we've never supported saving to a network." It's my risk, it's my work flow. My work system has a small SSD, and I always have saved my plans to the NAS that gets backed up every night. Now, I can't open my plans without moving them to my local drive, which can only hold a couple projects at a time.

Has anybody found a workaround for this?

thanks

jay plesset

• Downvote 1

I think what "support" means is that CA has never had a feature which specifically supports network based work-flows.  What you are doing is just opening and saving files on a networked drive which should work the same as X6.  Joe may be on to something there with your paths - and if thats not it then try looking at your computer and network.  I realize you may think this is a CA issue due to the upgrade, but CA really doesn't care where you place files on your network so long as the read/write are the same as any other drive.

I agree with Johnny.  Chief does work on a network - I've been on one since 2007.  Our current network drive is a Synology NAS.  So "doesn't support" doesn't mean "it won't work on a network."  It means they are not going to tell you how to configure your network.  And it does sound like this isn't a Chief configuration issue, but rather a network configuration issue.  

I will also say that they officially say you should work locally.  We made the decision that the risk of human error from working locally is greater than the risk of data loss over a network.  People dragging files back and forth almost guarantees a big Oops.  However, there is still some data loss risk over a network.  A network simply adds more opportunities for things to go wrong.  We do see very occasional instances of files simply not saving.  So be diligent in checking save dates.  It might be rare, but it hurts when it happens.

We don't specifically disallow saving to a network drive and actually do some things to make that faster. Your case is probably an error message coming from the system and should be easily correctable once you figure out your networking issue (our support team is not set up to deal with fixing your networking problems).