garage below existing house footings

imagekit

I am very new ,I bought the programme 12 months ago and tried to learn it. I parked it after getting frustrated and are now trying to understand it again ,it is x7.

I have drawn a house with footings which is an existing house, I would like to add a room at existing floor level (which I have drawn) with a garage below. how do I draw the walls for the garage with a slab without effecting the existing house footings.

or how do I draw footings under just 1 wall which I have selected?

thanks

thanks all,

how can I draw footings on different walls or one wall at a time?

ps  my knowledge of layers is causing a lot of my problems is there a tutor video someone could refer me to.

and cj I am now going to learn how to download your example

thanks

It would be better if you could post your plan if possible.  You need to save the plan file and then close that plan ... you can leave Chief open.  Then navigate to your plan and then select and right click > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.  Now come back to Chief Talk and down by the green "Post" box click on "More Reply Options".  Once the expanded screen has loaded, under Attach Files > Browse > navigate to your saved Zipped Folder (same location as your saved plan file) > click Open.  As soon as it is done loading, an new highlighted line with your zipped plan will show up right under the main text entry box.  Figure out where you want to place the zipped plan in your text box and put the cursor there.  Then go down to the right side of the new line and click on "Add to Post".  That should work for you providing your zipped plan doesn't exceed the posted maximum size (25 MB's - single file size).  If it is too big, save the plan under a new name and gut the unnecessary stuff out of the plan (cabinets, fixtures, furniture, high face count items like railings with circular ballusters, etc.) and then save it, close the plan, zip it, and repost to see if the file is small enough to post.

One tool you need to learn how to use, if you already haven't, is the Reference Floor Display (F9) tool.  After you've added your new addition, and assuming that you already have the rest of your model built OK (main level on a foundation ... stemwalls or ????).  Then all you need to do is go down to Floor 0, turn on the Reference Floor Display, click on your wall types tool > Straight Foundation Wall and draw your basement garage foundation walls following the location of the main level new addition's walls on Floor 1.  If you get them pretty close in alignment, they should snap into postion OK.  If you're off a bit you can either drag them over or if the Align With Wall Above tool (in the edit tool bar) is available to use, just click on it and your foundation wall(s) should snap into proper position ... assuming your defaults are set up OK.

You'll probably have to select the basement room and name it as a garage.  You should go to the structure tab and set your stem wall and ceiling heights to the desired settings.

Sounds like you need to do some more studying of the manual and practicing with the tools.  I highly recommend you watch all of Chief's tutorial videos and read their Help Database articles as well.  When you're stuck on something and you're not quite sure how to proceed, look your subject up in  HELP (F1) and with a little searching, you will usually find the answers to your questions.  If not, that's what ChiefTalk is for.  Hope the plan helps.

Most of the time, if you know what you're doing, Chief will place footings under your foundation walls for you.  You just need to learn all you can about how Chief's foundation walls and slabs work, so you have a better idea of what wall types etc. you'll need to use.  I've been using this program for 14 years and I am still learning so don't get too stressed out about all those tools ... it will come the more you study them and then the more you use them.  They say "practice makes perfect" .... I don't really believe that but it definitely has you going in the right direction.  Watch the videos ... those Chief dudes make everything look so easy in them.  Then go and try to replicate what you learned.