Printing Scale

AlexAncon

I'm not sure why but most of my projects are large one story homes.  These won't fit on 24 x 36 pages (at 1/4" scale)  and I have to go to 36 x 48 to have them work on the page.  I could shrink them to 1/8 but then the drawings seem to get very crowded looking.  The trades know that they can't scale anything so I generally take these huge pages and (for anything other than permitting) print them at 50%  Only the sharpest eyes can read the text at that point.

Is there a simple way to increase the size of the text so that things look good at the 1/8" scale?  I would prefer to essentially duplicate the layout set but with different scale requirements.  Can this be done as alternates to the same set so that changes would be reflected on both rather having to make the changes twice?

Alex when you send you plan to a layout at no scale you can select that plan on the layout page and open the dbx box, under the general tab around 6 items down you can increase the sizeof your dimension txt

post-439-0-96764400-1430225972_thumb.png

I know it's convenient to fit the whole house on one sheet, but you might consider match-lines and using two sheets.

This is so  funny,  back in the day,  mid ''70's,  somehow we fit all of our houses on 18x24 paper.  I do not know how we did it.  Maybe smaller houses?  I move from Houston to San Diego and 24x36 was the norm.  It is a mystery to me why,  I suppose because we had to not only put the  plan on a single page,  but now we also had to put the entire code book on each sheet.  Now once in a while I have to use 30x42 and sometimes 36x48 size paper,  what a pain in the arse.

Match lines ,  smaller scale,  or bigger paper?

Match lines?  Ugh.........  who likes to flip between pages to understand the entire floor layout?

Smaller scale?  I would never go to anything smaller than 3/16" scale,  but the problem is everybody will pull out the 1/4" scale,  leads to confusion.

Bigger paper?  Nobody likes to roll out a set of plans on anything bigger than 24x36.  The larger size plans never fits on a desk or the back of a pick-ups tail gate.

Pic your poison.......  maybe we should all have iPads to review the plans on.

I have no problem with using a smaller scale for larger projects.  You just need to have larger scale plans for the areas that need it like Kitchens, Bathrooms, etc.  These larger scale plans can be referenced with callouts just like you would for a larger scale detail.  It's basically a "Key Plan" system.

Can you imagine trying to do a Hospital or any other large commercial project any other way? 

my clients and trades liked having 81/2 x 11 for quick reference

easy carry around

but they also wanted 1/4" sets for verification

most of our remodel plans were on 11 x 17 or 18 x 24

new homes or bigger projects were 24 x 36

never had to do 36 x 48

but worked with some and they are a PITA

trying to lay them some where or keeping them unrolled

Lew

Pic your poison.......

Exactly. Whatever fits best with your style, work-flow, and project needs. In my experience, with anything less than 1/4" scale, I get a lot of calls from subs who are working off a copy of a copy of a copy and can't read the text anymore. I'll go 3/16" when necessary, but IMO bigger pays off in the long run.

This is so  funny,  back in the day,  mid ''70's,  somehow we fit all of our houses on 18x24 paper.  I do not know how we did it.  Maybe smaller houses?  I move from Houston to San Diego and 24x36 was the norm.  It is a mystery to me why,  I suppose because we had to not only put the  plan on a single page,  but now we also had to put the entire code book on each sheet.  Now once in a while I have to use 30x42 and sometimes 36x48 size paper,  what a pain in the arse.

My experience has been just the opposite. My fist job in the industry was with an engineering firm - everything was on 30x42. Then I joined an architectural firm, and everything was 24x36. Now we're down to 22x34.

A lot of the mason's and carpenters want me to print 11x17 that they can read for doing there work, for permitting they want us to print 1/4" scale which most will fit on 24x36 then there are the townhouses that I have to provide larger paper for

24 x 36 is pretty manageable but even at 3/16" I can't get the schedules on the same page as the plan.  The dimension number resize is certainly helpful but when there are so many dimensions that clutter up pretty quickly.  The foundation drawings have all the overall dimensions but even the engineers put the piers on a different sheet from the beams and the floor framing systems.  So the goal is to create 36 x 48 layout pages that I can print at 50% and still be legible at 18x24.  Using the "change dimension size" on the layout pages certainly helps (thanks!).  Now if I can find out how to (in the same way) change all the labels on the doors and windows (all at the same time) I will be set.

Sounds about right to me Joe.  In reading the annotation set tutorial it sounds like you have to do that before you create the plan.  Is it possible to do after the plan is done?

Absolutely,  very very flexible,  you can edit the anno sets whenever you want......  you owe me a brownie point.

• Upvote 2

......  I would never go to anything smaller than 3/16" scale,  but the problem is everybody will pull out the 1/4" scale,  leads to confusion.

If any carpenter told me they scaled my drawing instead of looking at the dimensions they would see a side of me they would be sure to not want to see again. You have to train these guys while they're young!!!

The only time I use sent to layout with no scale and to 11 x 17 is for preliminary plans so the client can see what the room sizes are and the layout sheet is where I change the size of the dimensions just for prelims, when doing final plans it is always to 1/4" scale or larger depends what size paper I am printing to and the room on the paper but 1/4" is min. for final plans

If any carpenter told me they scaled my drawing instead of looking at the dimensions they would see a side of me they would be sure to not want to see again. You have to train these guys while they're young!!!

Dimensions are necessary. But your your drawing WILL be scaled - that's why we include a scale on the drawing. The great benefit of CAD is that it allows us to create at full scale. Remember lead and vellum and drafting the plans at a scale? Did you ever slap your scale down on the vellum to verify what you'd drawn? Of course. Then you did a bunch of math and prayed your dimensions strings added up. What's sauce for the goose...