Calling All Terrain Gurus (In X7)

dshall

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

Email reply from Brian confirming the behaviour:

Thanks Glenn,

You are correct, currently we do not auto update when only the 2D view is open. I have logged a request on your behalf in our database to see what we can do to make this work. There may have originally been some performance reasons for why we did not enable this, but I am not sure we will look into to it though.

Thanks,

I am looking forward to meeting all you guys when I come over in August/September.

Thanks Glenn,

You are correct, currently we do not auto update when only the 2D view is open. I have logged a request on your behalf in our database to see what we can do to make this work. There may have originally been some performance reasons for why we did not enable this, but I am not sure we will look into to it though.

Thanks,

I had not recognized the fact that the terrain did not auto update unless a   3d view was open,  ( I  ain't as smart as Glenn).

However,  I have a hot key to REBUILD TERRAIN so it is not a big deal for me.  Just a thought for you guys who want to see the terrain updated without having to close the program.

When it stops rebuilding the terrain (and it won't be easy to convince anyone that this actually happens until it happens to them) pressing the rebuild terrain button does not rebuild the terrain. When it decides to stop re-building it just stops rebuilding. Again I think you have to see it in person to really get the phenomenon. If I find it happen again I'll record it.

What Larry said.  I have noticed more anomalies in X7 whilst Chrome is playing movies (usually Netflix, sometimes Hulu) or Spotify--oh brother, CA and Spotify web payer in IE don't mix.  So much for that App sandbox out of web browsers, eh?

jon

I believe that this could explain why some users are reporting that the terrain is not updating automatically when it should.

I think the terrain is updating OK - it's just that the contours aren't updating without a 3D view being open..

It was meant to address this assertion.

• 2 weeks later...

So does anyone have any experience with taking surveyed elevations in X,Y,Z format into Chief.    Some sort of software that could be used to convert data to the proper format?

I may not understand the Question but Chief already does that via the Import Terrain Data Wizard ...see page 741 of the Ref. Manual or help File.

probably best to start your own thread if you have issues...

M.