Need Help From A Professional (Or At Least Someone Who Has Done This Before)

Daydream

I just got my first customer willing to pay for one of my designs. Which has caused a few dilemmas.

Last year we built our house that I designed and my husband was the General Contractor.  I do have some knowledge of the construction trades and terminology.

Question 1:  I would like to take some classes in order to be a better designer (not an architect) but am unsure what type of courses I should be looking for.

Question 2:  I do not know how to refer to what I do, I am not an Architect, but am I a designer or is it more than that?

Question 3: As far as how to charge for home designs, landscapes or remodels i do not know where to even start ????? any suggestions here would be extremely helpful.

Question 4:  If anyone has a questionnaire they would be willing to share, to give to a customer to determine what design style they would like would be very much appreciated.

Any help given in any of these areas, like I said, would be extremely appreciated.

Signed,

Newby

Can't answer all of your questions but you need to keep in mind that there could be legal implications if you are referring to yourself as a "Designer". This can imply or be construed by your client that you have a Professional Designation versus you do Design Work. Its important to ensure that this is clear, especially in any written documentation and if asked directly by a client or you believe that this is the clients expectation.

For example, in my region permit submission, other than the home owner, can only be done by a "professionally" designated Architect, Engineer or Designer. They offer special courses and examinations for general contractors to certify them on an individual basis.

Keep in mind that these professionals assume certain liabilities, responsibilities and legal obligations in the performance of their duties.

If you are just doing interior design work then it may be less risky but it would be ethically inappropriate.

Graham

1. It depends on what you mean by design. You may want to start by browsing the bookshelves at the library. Have you checked with your local technical college for courses they may offer? Lots of draftsmen/designers start with a two-year technical degree.

2. Depending on where you live it may be a legal definition of what you are permitted to call yourself, depending on the professional licenses or certificates you hold.

3. Lots of independent draftsmen/designers charge by the square foot. Around my area, it can be as cheap as $1/sf. Of course, I've never been very impressed with their production documents.

4. It takes a lot of time and effort to tailor this sort of thing to the clients you are courting. Give us an idea of your anticipated project scope.

I really appreciate your input.

I want to get the certifications I need but when i called some colleges they were not understanding what i meant.

I want to be certified to do blue print type designs for some one to build a house from without going so far as becoming an architect.

Unless, that is impossiible

I would suggest that you check with a local community college and either take a class in structural drafting or just buy the book and study it yourself. Text books are often available for purchase online these days.

Other than that it is generally good to tour projects in order to see what is popular, and, as mentioned before, the bookstore. Even better for my purposes is checking out amazon online. Better prices and greater availability of the material that may be of interest to you.

Good luck.

Depending on what state you live in, like here in California, you do not need licenses or special permissions or certifications to 'design' residential structures. Anyone can submit drawings to our local cities but if there is engineering required then you need to explore that option.

My clients will sometimes refer to me as an architect and I correct them immediately and call myself a designer. As far as I know there's no legal requirements to being a 'designer' again here in CA..

I had absolutely no design experience when I started 'designing'. None. Zero. Zilch. I would grab plans from other Architect/Designers and try and replicate them (no not copy them for those about to chime in about copyright issues). Then I would submit them and the plan checkers would send me home with the craziest corrections because they could smell the newbie on me. But I kept at it and now almost 15 years later I still struggle but am busier than I've ever been.

My advice to anyone starting out in this (or any) business is to simply start. Do you have Chief Architect? Then draw all day. Everything you can think of. Watch all the videos. Learn all you can as if you were committed to making your business thrive. I converted about a hundred details to Chief to learn the CAD tools.

Pricing? There are no short cuts. You have to figure out what your time is worth and not charge people to learn Chief. Not easy and you'll get it wrong most times but overall and in due time you'll figure it out. Again no short cuts.

Check with your local building authority. They should be able to tell you who they will accept drawings from, I am sure they would be more than willing to provide some valuable guidance. The other way is to develop a relationship with an already designated professional to provide this oversight, there are also independents who specialize in this.

If you are checking out schools just make sure their program will lead to the recognition you are seeking. Many offer non-credit type courses that are more general interest focused, especially many of those questionable private independent learning schools.

Graham

To: Robert Lackore

When you say lots of draftsmen/designers start with a two-year technical degree.  What is this degree called?

Technical degrees are great and if you feel better having one then get one, however you do not need one to start designing. You just need the gumption to start your business.

There will be many replies with all the cautions you must take and there is no reason to not be prudent but if that's enough to stop you in any way, or if not having a 'degree or certification' stops you from going forward with your passion to design then find something else to do.

There are risks but life is designed that way with rewards coming to those willing to risk. It's a long journey but even the longest journey begins with the first step. My advice - take that first step.

Thank you Larry Hawes

Your post was very helpful.

I have Chief Architect since I think 2010 and have updated 3 times.  I am considering updating to X7. It just looks soooo cool.  I have drawn all kinds of designs and my friends and family love them.  Lots of friends and family have used my designs for various projects.  I even won a contest once for a 12,000 sq ft commercial building.

This is my first opportunity to actually charge a customer and I am a little nervous,  I don't want to do anything that would be considered improper or illegal.  So I am trying to do my homework.

When I tried to find out about classes they kept referring me to interior design or something else equally wrong.

So thank you everyone who have given me some direction.

There are risks but life is designed that way with rewards coming to those willing to risk. It's a long journey but even the longest journey begins with the first step. My advice - take that first step.

Best advice Thanks, Robert

Designing houses and running a design business are indeed 2 very different things. Running a business requires a different skill set but those skills can be learned in the same way as any skill is learned and it sounds to me like you are doing exactly what's needed to get your business up and running.

There will be some successes and some failures. You'll start out without a contract until you get burned, then you'll develop a contract that works for you. You'll under charge, you'll over charge until you figure out what's fair and what the market will bear. There's so much to learn but business is a great way to learn so much about yourself and about people. And oh yeah before long you'll have stories to tell. Ones you can't make up about clients that did things that you will never understand. Over the years you will figure it out and if you want to replace the 'yous' above with me's and I's you will have read a little of my experience already.

Best of luck..

Many of the "designers" I've encountered have an extensive background in and working knowledge of residential construction processes; if not the education of an architect.  Perhaps, finding a Design/Build company in your area that uses Chief Architect to produce their CDs and offering your service as an intern or entry-level designer is a way to gain the experience necessary to enter the business. 

As mentioned above, there can be serious consequences (criminal in certain localities) for providing the functional services of an architect and/or interior designer without proper education or credentials. Do your research.

jon

There are no requirements or professional designations required to be a business owner/operator. Anyone can open and operate a business in any field of endeavor they choose. You just need the drive to do it. As other's have posted, there is risk involved in every aspect of life, business or not. Your potential to succeed, whatever that measure is, will be determined by your personal dedication, persistence and ability to understand the risk and to balance this against the potential personal and monetary rewards. This usually does not require an extensive costly evaluation study, it does however require one to dig deep within ones self to make sure that your business premise makes sense and you understand what risks are acceptable to you.

Every business takes risk, the majority of successful businesses, small or large, take calculated risks. There's nothing wrong with improving your odds.

Graham

To: Robert Lackore

When you say lots of draftsmen/designers start with a two-year technical degree.  What is this degree called?

My tech school degree program was "Associate of Applied Science in Architectural Technology."

In Wisconsin you can't call yourself an Architect, Professional Engineer, Landscape Architect, Interior Designer, Land Surveyor, etc. without having the license (education, job experience, exams, permit fees, continuing education, etc.). Just like doctors, lawyers, master plumbers, journeymen, et. al. You really need to check your local statutes which describe what you can call yourself, how you can market/advertise yourself, and the scope of the work you can perform. In Wisconsin ANYONE can "design" a one- or two-family home - an Architect or PE stamp isn't required.

Robert - It's more stringent here, the city will not even look at a plan unless it has been stamped by an Architect, PEng or Certified Designer. The only exception is for the residential homeowner who can prepare and submit drawings directly. If they think the homeowner is just acting as a go around for a behind the scene non-professional they will even refuse these. Best not to make the drawings look to good if this is what you are doing.

Graham

Robert - It's more stringent here, the city will not even look at a plan unless it has been stamped by an Architect, PEng or Certified Designer. The only exception is for the residential homeowner who can prepare and submit drawings directly. If they think the homeowner is just acting as a go around for a behind the scene non-professional they will even refuse these. Best not to make the drawings look to good if this is what you are doing.

Graham

Well, to be honest, Wisconsin is a dinosaur when it comes to 1- and 2-family dwelling design. Our dwelling code is archaic and cobbled together from bits and pieces of old code and the IRC. However, the big cities, like Madison and Milwuakee, have some pretty meticulous (to be polite) plan reviewers - everyone gets hammered, regardless of professional status or certifications.

Robert - What mainly drove all of these mandatory designation requirements related to the City washing it's hands from any liability what-so-ever, it all falls onto the submitter. It was also a way to cut costs, the building department was spending way too much time providing advice & guidance to every renovator trying to get a permit with a chicken scratch of a drawing. Now as you said so politely they can focus all of their "expertise" on the professionals.

Graham

Graham

I always wondered why California didn't adopt the 'must be licensed' requirement for Designers etc. Maybe just a matter of time?

Robert - What mainly drove all of these mandatory designation requirements related to the City washing it's hands from any liability what-so-ever, it all falls onto the submitter. It was also a way to cut costs, the building department was spending way too much time providing advice & guidance to every renovator trying to get a permit with a chicken scratch of a drawing. Now as you said so politely they can focus all of their "expertise" on the professionals.

Graham

Interesting Graham. As designers we can't even get any insurance like an architect or engineer can but if were licensed somehow? I wonder. I shudder to think as I carried huge liability insurance as a GC and never used the $300,000 costs for a single repair. Do NOT want to go down the insurance road again. Do they require you to carry ins. in Ottowa?

Larry - It also surprises me. The state of California & New York (especially the city) are typically the most stringent and usually lead the rest including us here in Canada. At a time way back when I was involved in Code & Standards writing committees it was always these two States that were of greatest concern. The codes and standards here are highly influenced by these, we just had to creatively plagiarize things a bit to reinforce our independence. :)

Graham

Larry,

Don't even think about doing any Condo projects if you don't have insurance.  I won't do them anyway just because there is always going to be a lawsuit and you'll lose everything you own if you don't have a lot of coverage.  The same thing is true for most commercial buildings.

The insurance is one reason that Architects have to charge more.  We have to carry coverage on our projects well into the future and it's the client who is going to have to pay for it.