Gable Wall Question

HumbleChief

That is the way I do it. And, like you, I have to do it for many gable walls like this. Sometimes I go into the attic and pull it over and sometimes I get it to work by drawing another wall inline with it, making sure to check "no locate" and "attic wall." Like you, I don't know why - it just is.

Larry - same here.  I don't worry about it.  I just do what needs to be done to get it right and move on.

I just opened your plan. It is a little bit of an unusual set up in that there is no lower wall from which

part of the gable wall is being generated.  It does seem to create a not so clean gable wall.  Especially

in vector view.  You can see the "add on" extension.  Playing with it definitely gets things messed up.

It doesn't give you an attic wall there b/c there is no wall under it.  To get the attic wall just run your wall all the way across the opening, generate your roof, then either create an opening (no casing) and drag it all the way to look like no wall is there or cut the wall and make it invisible (no room def.) but the attic wall should stay there if you then turn off auto attic walls.

Larry - same here.  I don't worry about it.  I just do what needs to be done to get it right and move on.

I just opened your plan. It is a little bit of an unusual set up in that there is no lower wall from which

part of the gable wall is being generated.  It does seem to create a not so clean gable wall.  Especially

in vector view.  You can see the "add on" extension.  Playing with it definitely gets things messed up.

Yeah sorry the plan was such a mess but I was just trying to show the problem as it seems to manifest itself in many different ways on many different plans. I'm in the same camp and just take care of it without any worries but was just curious about the phenomenon. Maybe Perry's got it figured out to generate automagically?

It doesn't give you an attic wall there b/c there is no wall under it.  To get the attic wall just run your wall all the way across the opening, generate your roof, then either create an opening (no casing) and drag it all the way to look like no wall is there or cut the wall and make it invisible (no room def.) but the attic wall should stay there if you then turn off auto attic walls.

I'll have to try that Perry, thanks for the suggestion.

I guess you posted the fixed Plan Larry ? looks ok to me  though I have seen that issue a lot myself. Looks like you need to extend the Main roof lane back under the eave on the LH side of that small gable too ,there is a hole there,as it only built to the wall line.

Not sure why all your deck beams are cut off at the main deck beam though ........

post-315-0-50447400-1427478931_thumb.jpg

I guess you posted the fixed Plan Larry ? looks ok to me  though I have seen that issue a lot myself. Looks like you need to extend the Main roof lane back under the eave on the LH side of that small gable too ,there is a hole there,as it only built to the wall line.

Not sure why all your deck beams are cut off at the main deck beam though ........

attachicon.gifDeck beams cut.JPG

Yeah darn I guess I did post the fixed plan. That plan was in the early stages of development. All of the lower framing for that deck will be changed to fit the new configuration. Was hoping the pimples in the plan would not be a distraction to the issue of the gable.

I would bet it is because it is a BEARING BEAM,  and the top of beam is higher than bottom of deck joists...... just guessing

DIng Ding Ding ,we have a winner :)    still had the plan open so I looked and yes the main bearing beam is 2" higher than the Joists

M.

I would bet it is because it is a BEARING BEAM,  and the top of beam is higher than bottom of deck joists...... just guessing

I had auto framing on and yes the top of the beam is higher than the bottom of the deck joists - they are actually notched over the beam (not bearing BTW). It rebuilt that weird cut off situation till turned off auto framing. Thanks for the heads up Mick/Scott.

DIng Ding Ding ,we have a winner :)    still had the plan open so I looked and yes the main bearing beam is 2" higher than the Joists

M.

Good eye!! Yes it's actually built that way and we are going to replace some rotted members and rebuild the deck as it is now. We think the 18" concrete caissons were poured too high and the joists had to be notched to get the proper deck height.

Wasn't spec'd as a bearing beam (even though it is) and wasn't spec'd to frame as you see it but auto frame would cut off those beams when reopening the plan.

That is a long span especially on the LH side ,12' is long even for an effective 6x6 , is it not bouncy? especially at 42" centres , I'd add another 6x6 joist in between existing I think.

M.

It currently has 2 x 6 tongue and groove fir decking which rotted really fast (DOH) and the deck has virtually no detectable bounce. Our plan is to add a 4 x 6 (maybe a 6 x 6) between each existing joist/beam and use Ipe decking - after replacing the rotted joists/beams.

It currently has 2 x 6 tongue and groove fir decking which rotted really fast (DOH) and the deck has virtually no detectable bounce. Our plan is to add a 4 x 6 (maybe a 6 x 6) between each existing joist/beam and use Ipe decking - after replacing the rotted joists/beams.

Sounds like you have it well in hand ....  sorry , just can't stop thinking like a Contractor when I see stuff like that..... Fir decking though , I'd say that's more than a DOH ! though :) must have been free wood at the time ! 

Sounds like you have it well in hand ....  sorry , just can't stop thinking like a Contractor when I see stuff like that..... Fir decking though , I'd say that's more than a DOH ! though :) must have been free wood at the time ! 

...and tongue and groove - never had a chance. Appreciate all the help I can get BTW so appreciate the input.