Shed Dormer Frustration

Richard_Morrison

Go to solution Solved by ebdesign,

Not sure why they still say to use a skylight in that Tutorial , we have had the (Roof plane) Cut Hole Tool for quite sometime....and the fact you really don't need it of course....

Have a look at this Tutorial I still have from 5-6 yrs ago Rich. still works in all Titles even those without manual roof plane editing.

Dormers done Manually.pdf

Designating a Knee Wall tells Chief to ignore the wall for the purposes of building a roof as in the pics below.

The 2 short walls on the upper floor are designated Knee Walls. Notice that the roof builds from the lower floor and ignores the Knee Walls.

When you uncheck Knee Walls, the walls become full height and the roof builds off the full height walls.

post-106-0-52571800-1425769902_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-68856600-1425769912_thumb.jpg

AFAIK the Roof will pass over a knee wall if checked as such whereas if not checked the wall will try to build to "default Height" if possible , ie you cut a roof hole. A knee wall's height is controlled by the Roof too not the ceiling height so typically only used in 1 1/2 storey houses ie Cape Cods.  (Which makes me think the Tutorial on 1 1/2 storey houses may have suited your situation better.) and  the setting is usually only used if doing an Auto Roof as Scott mentioned in the video. As I started with Pro 6-7 years ago I usually start with AutoRoofs then Clean up with the Manual tools if needed.

KB website is down today but I have an old copy of it here from HD Pro:

One and a Half Story House_CapeCod.pdf

Edit: I see Glenn beat me to it , nice example.

So to get this to work it looks there is more than one way to do this?

And if we delete the roofs and reassign the walls types this should work with auto roof build?

If the roof needs tidying up after auto roof build you go ahead and do that?

I would first make sure that roof pitching point line has something to build from first even if a wall does not define this pitching point by even placing a temp wall in that spot and then delete those temp walls after the roof auto builds the way I want it. I use this method both in CA and other 3d CAD. I rarely need to clean up roofs for this method for relative straight forward roofs.

I don't have much experience with shed dormer roofs and Cape Cod style roofs, I think we call shed dormers, eye lid dormers down under?

Not only would I like to see Glenn do a video but I would like to see an advanced video in the training series to help with a problem like this in particular as this appears to be a common US style 2 storey home.

I haven't tried this yet but if I was to place a skylight into a roof plane with a raked ceiling plane directly under it, would it cut hole into the manually drawn in ceiling plane? I guess it should if it behaves like a roof plane? Will give it a try in X6.

I haven't tried this yet but if I was to place a skylight into a roof plane with a raked ceiling plane directly under it, would it cut hole into the manually drawn in ceiling plane? I guess it should if it behaves like a roof plane? Will give it a try in X6.

This is from a plan done in 9.5. The CAD detail was modified a bit, but you can see from the pic below how Chief handled it.

post-571-0-57302200-1425778311_thumb.jpg

Very Nice detail of how it should go MickeyToo.

I gave it a try but I couldn't even find the SL symbol but I found this post by Larry Sweeny who tried the same thing with our buddy Scott doing another MITMV or Method In The Madness Video to help us.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/2183-skylight-problem/?hl=skylights

Thanks Scott for showing how to place a skylight into a roof in this video.

When the Ceiling Plane is not parallel to the Roof Plane you get the problems Scott was having but what would happen if it was parallel like in Richards case and is it any better now in X7?

A feature like this needs to be carefully worked out before implimenting into CA you would think? Or Scott may go crazy from doing to many try fix it videos?

Wow! Jim is the man, those model checking techniques are master class.

I think we should all watch a video from Jim on how to test your model?

I would say Jim would also be very valuable to Chief for a Master Class Video's Series?

Wow! Jim is the man, those model checking techniques are master class.

I think we should all watch a video from Jim on how to test your model?

I would say Jim would also be very valuable to Chief for a Master Class Video's Series?

Have I missed a video somewhere ? sounds good....