How to clean up unwanted roof lines?

leyi123

Hi all,

I am using premier X15.

I am a newbie here and I have gone through quite some videos and learned a lot and enjoyed it, but I couldn't find information on how to clean up some dup roof lines.

Apparently I am not good at editing roof yet, I did try to do "join roof planes" a lot, they work well, but not sure why I still end up with a lot of extra lines.

Here is a screen shot:

image.thumb.png.8304e7440474884d91da378de5a914a5.png

I try to select some extra lines to delete them but I couldn't. If there are like 2,3 lines together, only line seems to be selectable.... I suppose a single line is the right look...Please help me, how do I clean out this mess and how to avoid them?

Thanks so much,

-Leyi

A few suggestions...

Turn off the base lines and changing the line style of the roof from dotted to solid. 

(Some roof sections have unequal overhangs. ...might need a bit more adjusting) 

On a side... this is a fairly straightforward design for the auto-tools. After the roof is constructed (by auto build) fine tune the center ridge which needs to have the lower pitch. This way... the eaves will be perfect.  

Hope this helps.  

...Not intended this be a critique, but rather a pointer. Custom roofing can get off to an excellent head start after the program has set the ground work for perfectly established baselines and overhangs. After that... manual edit as necessary.  

Snip20240330_50.png

• Like 1

Thank you @VHampton so much for the detailed annotations. I did what you said and managed to snap all incorrect lines, yay! It looks like this now:

image.thumb.png.f2dff9794dda19d048320fef1d0470fd.png

Now I am trying to fix the eaves lengths, they look like that (badly) because I did start from auto but then gone far into manually editing and didn't have energy to pay attention to the eaves, so they all got altered. How do I set the eaves length back? When I open a plane for editing, it shows 6" but not allowing me to edit, do I have to drag on the drawings to make each eaves with the correct overhang size with dimension tool? 

image.thumb.png.e81d4f2b09f9fd5e31c11d34fe651934.png

And a side note, when I tried to do auto roof, it doesn't recognize the part that there is only one floor and created one big roof to cover both floors. see this pic. But anyway I have gone too far in manually get the roof to where it is now so I don't need to be go back to redo, but would very much like to be educated on how to make the auto tool distinguish only one floor part for future reference? 

image.thumb.png.56933fc9bb41d15514ce4b2bc3886953.png

Thanks @SNector, I tried to attach the plan file, but it is over the limit of 14MB...My file is 26MB...Any suggestion?

Best,

Leyi

Is this a two story house?  All I see in your plan view is bedrooms bathrooms and a terrace or something.  No living, dining, greatroom, kitchen, pantry, foyer, entry, but also no staircase or stairwell.

Edit:  Sorry, I see the stairs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leyi123 said:

Now I am trying to fix the eaves lengths, they look like that (badly) because I did start from auto but then gone far into manually editing and didn't have energy to pay attention to the eaves, so they all got altered. How do I set the eaves length back? When I open a plane for editing, it shows 6" but not allowing me to edit, do I have to drag on the drawings to make each eaves with the correct overhang size with dimension tool?

You can't use the Dialog box for that any longer as the Roof planes are Built already ( and auto off )....

You can click on any of your solid Orange lines  ( I use dark pink easier to see ) and you should get a TEMPORARY measurement ( do you have them On?) back to the Main (Framing) layer of the wall , so you may need to take into account sheathing (and Siding?) when you click on the Temporary Dim. to set the required Overhang.  Set the Pic below for other considerations when setting the Overhang......... ( and don't forget the F1 Key will bring up context sensitive Help while in any Dialog Box (DBX) ... )

image.thumb.png.578518e55f28290a98c88bee068b4d3b.png

M.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leyi123 said:

And a side note, when I tried to do auto roof, it doesn't recognize the part that there is only one floor and created one big roof to cover both floors. see this pic.

Auto-roof will do the basic essentials - meaning a perfect overhang and with the baseline established neatly against the outside wall. 

Once the eave and gable end overhangs have been calibrated, that's where your skills with manual tools can take over. 

Example... there are often multiple roof edge heights (and ridge elevations) in designing Shingle-style homes. By simply changing roof fascia heights (and slopes), you'll get perfect results every time.

This is where the initial auto-roof build tool forces the roof "baseline" to be butt up against the outer wall frame. It's the green dashed line. Ideally that should be up against the house rather than 2 feet away. 

It's somewhat of an important relationship so that the rafters are being birds-mouthed over the top plate. It's a fulcrum point which keeps your cross sections clean. (All of this will become much more obvious as you learn how to master the program).  

Anyway, great job... and that plan sure does look nice and clean now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VHampton said:

Auto-roof will do the basic essentials - meaning a perfect overhang and with the baseline established neatly against the outside wall. 

I agree, always a good starting point ,  make sure to set your Wall Roof Directives ( WRD's) first ie Gable. High Gable etc, the turn Auto-build on and check things out in 3D and fix or add WRD's as need while you still have Auto Build enabled.........  should get you 65-85% of the way there , unless it's a simple rectangle then 100%.

M.

• Like 1

Thanks to all the great advice! I am heeding all of them and keeping on cranking this. So yeah this is a 2 story house, except for one downstairs room which doesn't have a floor above it, as circled below:

image.thumb.png.0c118846db4624c0283b48ad0e84f04b.png

but the auto-roof created the roof like this :

image.thumb.png.67aba53d4b8a2d47f0ceeabdfe1e62ac.png

Is this something configurable for auto build (I couldn't find it) or do I need to manually edit it?

Thank you!

You can also add a transparent fill to the upper roof planes and adjust the transparency level so the bottom roof planes will have a lighter color line when under the upper roof planes.

@leyi123why haven't you posted the plan?  Do a "save as" version, call it "roof help" or something.  Delete anything that is hi-poly and not relevant to structure and roofs.  Like fixtures, furniture.  Save the stripped plan.  Close it, zip it, attach it to a reply in this thread.  No one can help you unless you do this.