Beautiful Chief Architect Rendering using an Image instead of the Backdrop X15

16 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Great window reflections

Been experimenting with some new glass textures for more realistic reflections...real window glass ain't flat!

EXT-3h.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Been experimenting with some new glass textures for more realistic reflections...real window glass ain't flat!

EXT-3h.jpg

Very nice! So add a bit of a bump map I assume. I love your road also. 

I added a water bump image map to my puddles which have the glass material so it was not flat.

8 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Nope, a normal map.

Very nice. I use PixPlant to make my Normal maps. Sometimes you can get what you want with a Bump map, but Normal map is a better way to go.

9 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Wow! Mine is not working like that. That is a big deal to making things work right. Thank you for sharing this, Rene! I have sent this into Chief last week.

What backdrop are you using? Are you sure it’s spherical?

40 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Are you sure it’s spherical?

I assumed any Backdrop image that is checked to be Spherical will work? I mean, my backdrop does show up in the windows, but when I change the controls, nothing happens. If I spin the model I can see the changes in the windows. I'm about to test the same thing you just did in the video.

12 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

So this is what I get...

https://my-plan.stevenyhofdesigns.com/v/mDoM5AhdW86l4aMHuAfV

Thoughts?

you could probably report that, but I don't think it will get very far. Truth of the matter is that this isnt a spherical image, and chief knows it, you would get warping as it was stretching around a globe. It didnt used to work this way but it works in a way that benefits more beginners because they just want to load in an image and have it show in the background. So instead of a planer projection chief is doing something else to make it easier for you.
Instead...make a true spherical image in photoshop and load it up and use that instead, it will work as I showed in the video since those are backdrops I created

6 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

You might want to call chief, this works as intended:

Hi Rene. I reviewed your video again and I think it is not spinning for you either. You are seeing the backdrop distort through the glass cube, but the front reflection remains. Change your glass to a mirror and try again please.

https://my-plan.stevenyhofdesigns.com/v/HGc8VqbRwC6wNpEtNeRU

Thank you,

Steve

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

Instead...make a true spherical image in photoshop

I will look into this, but I have never done that before. I assume photoshop has a tool to make this?

I do understand what you are saying with it being a true spherical and not something Chief is just joining.

Thank you,

Steve

How is this for materials and texture mapping? I knew Chief had it in it. Was a nice way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.

My posts and beams are solids with solids subtracted on the edges to split the wood. The roof and a few other textures are using all the map fields. The stone are terrain sidewalk polys broken up to allow the grass through. I used my grunge images on the brick walls and the deck floor. Chiefs grass is very nice, but their plants pull the realistic look out of the picture. But I did darken them which helps. You can also see I used a few wall regions on the brick and foundation stone, as well as the wood lintels.

My background is not perfect yet, but my granddaughter is bugging me to play with her. So I will fix this up later.

cottage1.thumb.jpg.1855da5e321b44ab53269f4ec6dbdfed.jpg

cottage2.thumb.jpg.0e3a7fd286359b3d441caf14c3e12a1e.jpg

cattage3.thumb.jpg.d88806851dccf624422404680e4c517f.jpg

cottage4.thumb.jpg.a810c9a77e7796817eed1cd42227fd7b.jpg

cottage5.jpg

Added some broken glass to the front window

48803235_brokenglass.thumb.jpg.afc57884bc73293d4270eea4a4ac344f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

How is this for materials and texture mapping? I knew Chief had it in it. Was a nice way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.

My posts and beams are solids with solids subtracted on the edges to split the wood. The roof and a few other textures are using all the map fields. The stone are terrain sidewalk polys broken up to allow the grass through. I used my grunge images on the brick walls and the deck floor. Chiefs grass is very nice, but their plants pull the realistic look out of the picture. 

My background is not perfect yet, but my granddaughter is bugging me to play with her. So I will fix this up later.

This is cool, thanks for sharing.  Adding more variety to the grass tool (and expanding it to other types of similar foliage) is something we've talked about a lot, and these are good examples of what it could do.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ryan-M said:

Adding more variety to the grass tool

And maybe random works, or at least it could be one of the options, but as an artist (speaking for anyone with an eye for proper detail), maybe even a map over the grass region with +Add options so we could specify where within the map we would place random features (plants, grasses, etc.). And like the grass, options from little to many, etc.

+Add  = add plant one
+Add = add grass three
+Add = add leaves B

And then within each added option are controls for each with an optional map parameter where you want them located. Map regions could overlap each other. You get the idea.

I worked on my modern house with new material textures and maps. The stone on the wall I made from a wallpaper and put into PixPlant 5. I put in a photo for the background. I still like to see some bushes, and that is still an area to put some work into. I'm trying to push the bar for Chief renderings so they look into more realistic trees and bushes. I have trees in Twinmotions that are up to 700 Mb's, so I do not expect those types of file sizes in Chief. Even when you get into 4k maps the system really starts to lag.

Daytime

modern1.thumb.jpg.912efa2d5e692f452e70c78aa8fa66fb.jpg

modern2.thumb.jpg.db8fce64172ad8403d03455a0f1cf59e.jpg

Nighttime

modern3.thumb.jpg.f7dce527ae8f16fe410b00455791eb25.jpg

modern4.thumb.jpg.59cedb5cb6bdfd5ef7ca93cb3037a121.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 9:21 PM, Ryan-M said:

(and expanding it to other types of similar foliage)

I've often wondered if this could also be applied to landscape rock or mulch (as an example). Sometimes it's the 'hard' edges that reduce Chief's flexibility and realism.

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2024 at 4:41 PM, stevenyhof said:

So I will fix this up later.

All the window panes are intact...shouldn't some be broken and others very dirty?!

Just kidding of course, what you've done with that image is pretty amazing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MPDesign said:

Wow, Awesome job Steve!

Really great views right out of Chief! 

Curious how long does it take your card to render the images?

Thank you, Michael!

I do not make any money at present from renderings. I have done a few for money, but because I have wanted to do this for so many years, I just needed to prove to myself that I could do it and find a process that I could repeat in a little time. You can fuss for hours, like my cottage rendering above, but if I was on the clock I could do this in less than 2 hours once I had the materials. Finding and setting up new materials is what takes a lot of time.

When I set the samples to 500 it takes maybe 45 seconds to render. One thing to note, you can get 4k and 8k images out there, but some of the images I am using, like the pavers were 4k, but I reduced them to 1k (1024) just to keep the lag out of every step. You start to place 4 to 8 4k materials and maps into your drawing and you will come to a crawl. Well, maybe not you, looks like you have a very nice computer!

My son and I put a computer together yesterday on https://pcpartpicker.com/ - not sure when or if I will pull the trigger. 

993801294_computerlist.thumb.jpg.9f3e324e83aaaa25e29b2b18c6d277a9.jpg

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

All the window panes are intact...shouldn't some be broken and others very dirty?!

Just kidding of course, what you've done with that image is pretty amazing!

Trust me, Robert. I was looking at ways of breaking the windows, but the fuss and time I already put into that rendering is well over 12 hours. ;)