Beautiful Chief Architect Rendering using an Image instead of the Backdrop X15

49 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I waited for the 4080 Super to release for the Cost savings over the 4090 ( it's about 80-85% as quick)  as I am not sure the extra "power" of the 4090 is actually something chief can or will take advantage off , ( or it's extra Ram), it's actually not that demanding on 3D as an application, as say compared to a top flight AAA Game might be, so it may depend on what else you also do with the computer.

The 4080 Super is faster than my old 3080Ti and use less power and I don't feel like I'm sitting next to a little Heater anymore either :) . I am hoping this system will serve well for the next 3-5 years , so spreading the Cost out, it doesn't seem that bad. It seems like GPUs are never going back to the "good old days" pricing wise , so it always depends on Wants and needs and of course the budget or maybe what your tax return looks like this year :) .

* 1 caveat in upgrading computers is that at 1st you may notice some differences in speed etc, so you maybe wowed the 1st week, but after that it quickly becomes "normal" or expected.

M.

Thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts. Typical 3D CAD stuff I feel is connected more to the CPU, and zoom just hogs more of it, and I feel like I can't do much in that area. But messing with larger plant and tree models, and working in Twinmotion I think I need (I would like) the faster GPU. Thank you!

I wanted to add a little more to the grass in those renderings that show more grass and are not hidden so much by just tree shadows (noted above).

Now I have added Leaves and Clover to the Library. Same link as before, just with some added materials, etc.

The grunge image ( a single image) I am showing has been stretched to span over the whole front yard. I also made the grunge image less transparent and brownish in color, so try some different colors and transparency. Lifting the grunge image up and down in the grass also makes a difference on the look.

Grade.thumb.jpg.fc23ddd1a7ed9261595298e41ff5af2f.jpg

The Landscape Library that includes Leaves, Clover and Grunge...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XJo7gJ9_KXpR-Pp0COgzfKdpmXtVjPE_/view?usp=sharing

I would love to see some of your renderings where these methods are used.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts. Typical 3D CAD stuff I feel is connected more to the CPU, and zoom just hogs more of it, and I feel like I can't do much in that area. But messing with larger plant and tree models, and working in Twinmotion I think I need (I would like) the faster GPU. Thank you!

You may benefit as would Alan by going to a Z790 MOBO and and a 14th Gen CPU  especially if Chief goes "multi-threaded" in the near future and can work with more than 1 core ( and hyperthreading), that has been a longtime coming though , so I am not holding my breath :). I reused my DDR4 as I already had 64Gb Alan can't do that as He's using DDR3 so He might as well go straight to DDR5 @ 6000mhz or above for a bit of a gain there over standard DDR4.

M.

• Like 1

Mick,

Not sure how much I want to invest too much in any upgrades as I may retire next year. (76 in May)

Looking at the RTX 3060 & the RTX 4060 to run on my current machine. (yes the signature is current)

Looking at reviews 4060 fared better.

6 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Mick,

Not sure how much I want to invest too much in any upgrades as I may retire next year. (76 in May)

Looking at the RTX 3060 & the RTX 4060 to run on my current machine. (yes the signature is current)

Looking at reviews 4060 fared better.

I'd go 1 step higher to the 4070 or 4070 Super if money is close as it got a memory upgrade over the original 4070.

It will last you longer and uses less power so you Power supply maybe just fine with it..... ( most 4000 series use less power (wattage) than their 3000 Series cousins) 

Mick.

I rendered this plan in Twinmotions about year ago. The new image was rendered in Chief using my backgrounds and camera settings in this forum thread. I also added some leaves and tree shadows. I still need to work on the Backdrop images (not my background images) which I only use for window reflection, but I'm going to need to wait until Chief fixes the Spherical Panoramic Backdrop controls. At the moment, you can control the Spherical Panoramic Backdrop as a background image, but changing the settings do not show the changes in the window reflections.

Twinmotions - and brought into Photoshop and Camera Raw

Twinmotion.thumb.jpg.c6822aee81e09c93fa576075a977a82c.jpg

Chief Architect - and brought into Photoshop and Camera Raw

chief.thumb.jpg.46e7ff4dd8a9d384c5067155560f92a7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ACADuser said:

Nice work Steve. Very impressive.

Thank you! It was still more than 2 hours of work with fussing with all the details and changing material properties, etc. But I would guess the more we do it the faster we get.

There is a clear difference between Twinmotion and Chief. I am hoping to try and figure that out. Twinmotion looks more like a photograph, but it too is not perfect. I guess if it was easy than everyone would be doing it. My goal of course is to find that sweet spot with the background image and camera settings to make it look more like a photo.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

@stevenyhof Steve, have you purchased plants from Xfrog, and if so, do you recommend that compared to the available 3d plants from Chief's library?

Not from Xfrog yet - I did check them out. I purchase plants from various places. Some are from Sketchup because they are free and you can find smaller file sizes. I can break them apart in Sketchup and save versions, like my hostas. However, I made the hostas in X16 Beta, so they I will not post them until the release. Same with a few trees. I always update my materials (leaves, bark, etc.) in photoshop to make things look better. I still need to do more to add some brown spots and tears to the leaves.

I have been using Chief plants (not trees) because I find them quit fine. They are at least congruent with the building model. Meaning, just a little fake.

Right now I got sidetracked again from my work and am making up some water puddles. I will add a new rendering shortly and add the puddles to the Landscape Library.

1 hour ago, stevenyhof said:

I am hoping to try and figure that out

I would spend some time trying to make some better materials. That's always going to be a major difference. You are talking about a software that uses 1K textures vs one that utilizes 4-8K textures :)
Not to mention TM has a holw lot of other tricks up its sleaves. Bicubic/tri/planar projection re-mapping, sepearate backdrop and light sources from HDRI's, better caustics...all kinds of things

2 quick tips for trees...this goes for pretty much every 3d tree in the Chief library. It's really unfortunate they were added this way...the whole library needs to be edited.

1. adjust the 3d smoothing angle to a much higher number. I like 99 for obvious reasons, its quick to enter and it's the greatest.
  2. adjust the bark texture to a smaller size, reset the aspect ratio, check global symbol mapping.

The image below is of the same tree. The one on the right has the aforementioned edits. Chief should take note...I think this is a prime example of why people think they need a different software to do exterior renders.

image.thumb.png.1885bd804cc8cfa63c335475a074a0e6.png

27 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Right now I got sidetracked again from my work and am making up some water puddles.

I hear that! Your generous sharing has me thinking about creating some blocks of garden beds. Adding great flower beds and so on needs to get faster!

16 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I like 99 for obvious reasons

FYI Smoothing angle number represent the angle threshold to which smoothing will be applied on two adjacent faceted faces. This goes in all directions xyz. So this number for obvious reasons can go up to 179, as in 179 degrees before facets are planar
105759755_Screenshot2024-03-29101207.thumb.png.00c3baeedd6cc414ce19b897d24ee516.png

14 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

At the moment, you can control the Spherical Panoramic Backdrop as a background image, but changing the settings do not show the changes in the window reflections.

You might want to call chief, this works as intended:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

why was this obvious? why 99?

because it's quick to enter (an easy double tap on the keyboard) and it's the greatest! Proof...

image.png.a1ada1989443df7cd7838d61183320f5.png

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

because it's quick to enter (an easy double tap on the keyboard) and it's the greatest! Proof...

image.png.a1ada1989443df7cd7838d61183320f5.png

aha, that one went right over my head. bar down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

I would spend some time trying to make some better materials. That's always going to be a major difference. You are talking about a software that uses 1K textures vs one that utilizes 4-8K textures :)
Not to mention TM has a holw lot of other tricks up its sleaves. Bicubic/tri/planar projection re-mapping, sepearate backdrop and light sources from HDRI's, better caustics...all kinds of things

Yes, for sure on the materials. I did spend a bit of time in Twinmotions creating materials and all the maps. I need to do the same with Chief.

Ok, so I thought the picture looked a little like it had just rained a little so I wanted to add some water puddles. I also updated my pool and updated my water image in photoshop...

1113371193_frontwithpuddlesandgrungecopy.thumb.jpg.5c6bd86f220321b2af781db0ba6b6723.jpg

Here you can see where I placed the grunge and puddles

2126376839_frontwithpuddlesandgrunge-Copy.thumb.jpg.e4f9066d579ffc6c3dff4d8fbc0048bc.jpg

I have again updated the same Library with Puddles...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XJo7gJ9_KXpR-Pp0COgzfKdpmXtVjPE_/view?usp=sharing

puddles.thumb.jpg.a1dad00c5fc78c8bc838a47633ad41ec.jpg

Now I need to get back to work

52 minutes ago, robdyck said:

2 quick tips for trees...this goes for pretty much every 3d tree in the Chief library. It's really unfortunate they were added this way...the whole library needs to be edited.

1. adjust the 3d smoothing angle to a much higher number. I like 99 for obvious reasons, its quick to enter and it's the greatest.
  2. adjust the bark texture to a smaller size, reset the aspect ratio, check global symbol mapping.

The image below is of the same tree. The one on the right has the aforementioned edits. Chief should take note...I think this is a prime example of why people think they need a different software to do exterior renders.

image.thumb.png.1885bd804cc8cfa63c335475a074a0e6.png

Wow! That was easy! Now we just need all the leave updated to something less flat.

13 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Yes, for sure on the materials. I did spend a bit of time in Twinmotions creating materials and all the maps. I need to do the same with Chief.

Ok, so I thought the picture looked a little like it had just rained a little so I wanted to add some water puddles. I also updated my pool and updated my water image in photoshop...

1113371193_frontwithpuddlesandgrungecopy.thumb.jpg.5c6bd86f220321b2af781db0ba6b6723.jpg

Here you can see where I placed the grunge and puddles

2126376839_frontwithpuddlesandgrunge-Copy.thumb.jpg.e4f9066d579ffc6c3dff4d8fbc0048bc.jpg

I have again updated the same Library with Puddles...

puddles.thumb.jpg.a1dad00c5fc78c8bc838a47633ad41ec.jpg

Now I need to get back to work

A few things stand out at me but I don't know if you are going for realism etc. The leaves on the ground will always look fake and throw me off...in fact anything in the foreground, if it isnt perfect..and I mean perfect, just shouldn't be there. Like the plants, I know that's part of the design, but they look so fake that I don't even notice the house. I would use some other photo to illustrate that landscaping and avoid having them in the shot.
the people will always look fake unless you use ai to replace them.
the fire look fake, and photoshop has a fire generated you could use.
the pavers need to be a better texture in my opinion, same with the stone wall.
The black point on your backdrop needs to be lowered...your blacks look like they have a white wash on them.

• Like 1

I just spent about 25 minutes on chiefs Crowne Point Model.
generated grass to replace my grass texture. a quick grunge overlay on roof, some hand drawn elements on the stone and a bit of editing. its not perfect but it took 25 minutes from opening the file, which needed a few fixes, to editing the shot:
696399125_exampleexteriorrender.thumb.jpg.dc3d5ceaa214ad6e34db038be64536ab.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

I just spent about 25 minutes on chiefs Crowne Point Model.
generated grass to replace my grass texture. a quick grunge overlay on roof, some hand drawn elements on the stone and a bit of editing. its not perfect but it took 25 minutes from opening the file, which needed a few fixes, to editing the shot:
1975734826_exampleexteriorrender.thumb.jpg.af56952bff634351407fcece83b33b30.jpg

Great window reflections. That is a big one for me that needs to be right. Like mine, they both have a long way to go for Chief to look amazing.