Beautiful Chief Architect Rendering using an Image instead of the Backdrop X15

I am including a library of 2D trees that you can use for shadow trees instead of 3D trees. I want to give Rob Dyck a shout out for showing me how to make 2D material images with a solid vertical face and 2D tree images as a way to cast shadows without the added file size of 3D trees.

Here is the Library for the 2D Tree Shadows

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XJo7gJ9_KXpR-Pp0COgzfKdpmXtVjPE_/view?usp=sharing

2121649886_2dtreeshadows.thumb.jpg.b063a53e4378fcb790b399bfdefc6682.jpg

Here you can see I am including both deciduous and evergreen trees. Rotate, resize and/or double them up to get the affect you want.

The red rectangle shows where you would capture the image on the screen.

1046517970_2DTreesforShadows.thumb.jpg.3902e3f3df1ea6932c10641acbfba492.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Here is a house plan I just completed, and because the owner is going to use it as a BNB, he wanted some simple renderings.

I set up the same camera I include above, placed my background image, put in a few nicer trees that can also cast shadows and rendered the image. Then I made a copy of the camera and put it in the front of the house, moved my trees a bit and rendered the next image. Both in about 5 minutes. I did not spend any time on landscaping.

This is the lake side of the house

2024-03-21-6.thumb.jpg.9a11f86e6980747377e681b838999166.jpg

This is the front side so you can see I used one of the backgrounds that has a lake

2024-03-21-4.thumb.jpg.a6d41fd62421960def0fd58fdb26cfa2.jpg

Here I am pointing out where the Terrain ends and the Background image begins, and how to use the tree shadows. I think this is why this method is working well...

https://my-plan.stevenyhofdesigns.com/v/qgO8wvasLRm4GlCLFBrw

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

Thanks Steve, that look great to me.

That will work nicely here in Florida. So many backdrops have mountains.

It does not take long to make up some backgrounds now. Send me a few ideas of what you would like to see in a background - that goes for anyone. 

The main thing I needed to accomplish was getting Chiefs grass to blend in with the background image grass and I think it is very close. I need to also look into some palm trees. I did not find any with Chief but I'm sure I can find some online.

Thank you

1 hour ago, stevenyhof said:

I did not find any with Chief

Only one Palm in 3D , in the Bonus 3D Tropical > Trees Library ----  a sabal palmetto     ( also in 2D in the main plant library ) .....

Xfrog has always had good vegetation but prices seem up these days.........   https://www.xfrog.com/

M. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Only one Palm in 3D , in the Bonus 3D Tropical > Trees Library ----  a sabal palmetto     ( also in 2D in the main plant library ) .....

Xfrog has always had good vegetation but prices seem up these days.........   https://www.xfrog.com/

M. 

Thank you! I will check it out

7 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

This method conceptually is the same as the Mandalorian season 1 :)
How 'The Mandalorian' and ILM invisibly reinvented film and TV production |  TechCrunch

This is a good example of how the front subject and the background image are congruent with each other. This is the key to what I wanted to achieve by using a background image instead of the backdrop image.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

One fella I work for does the presentation house in SketchUp & then I create construction documents.

I can't match the views. (My short comings)

Front 03-12-24.JPG

Time to finally upgrade your computer Alan :)  you need PBR - RTRT ....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/41674-patio-louvre-roof/?do=findComment&comment=309757

Mick.

8 hours ago, Chief_Content said:

shadow trees - what a clever use

I'm not sure if you've read all of the earlier posts, but this technique could be utilized to create a full library of 'flat' plants using the plant images that already exist in the CA library!

With a bit of time and creativity, these 'flat' plants could hold all the plant information as well as an attractive CAD block making them suitable for plan view presentation as well!

Currently this is the perhaps the best way to make plant images look decent in physically based renders.

• Upvote 1

I wanted to complete a set of background images, so the Library now includes some with more evergreen and tropical, both on land and with a river and lake, and a few at night time.

Use one of the night time background images. Not great, but a different effect. I'm sure you can do similar effects with the daytime images and mess with the settings.

50038455_nightcamera.thumb.jpg.e17ad1a9130d28e794a886447108e622.jpg

You can use the same camera and just make a few setting changes...

Reduce the Backdrop Intensity

daytime.thumb.jpg.25dfeb21b23b67216934d2438f9acdf8.jpg

Reduce the Sunlight

sunlight.thumb.jpg.f4f6ce20f32fd75882e2bc75f7237c4e.jpg

Between the Backdrop Intensity and the Sunlight you can effect the background image and the grass brightness and sun shadow Intensity.

Select the light Set to turn your lights on inside the house (requires you place lights)

1077869188_lightson.thumb.jpg.d7a43cbae871f7c3843a353e676245a0.jpg

Here is the additional background images. This is the same link as in the first post - updated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DAyFz76wks-jABoMGXbjmxryAAhI9axB/view?usp=sharing

image.thumb.png.66f2a5eeb6d21f1f3b3b7654c5190fd9.png

Background images.pdf

• Upvote 1

This is a great technique.

I'll have to try more of it after taking my wife to lunch.

BTW my computer only takes about 12 seconds to update to the new background.

Front 03-23-24a.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

This is a great technique.

I'll have to try more of it after taking my wife to lunch.

BTW my computer only takes about 12 seconds to update to the new background.

Front 03-23-24a.JPG

Love to see this! Now bring your grass in on each side a little, and even pull in on the rear to expose more of the background image. Bring your camera to about 6' off the road and zoom in on the image a little. Then try some of the shadow trees or chiefs 3d trees to cast shadows on the grass (or add some grunge to the grass - wait for it!). It's amazing what a nice background can do! :) Thank you for testing it out.

• Upvote 1

A Little Grunge, Please!

To further give your grass a more realistic look, I have made up some "Grunge" images to place on the grass. Place them on the plan view and stretch them to your liking.

Video to show the Grunge images

https://my-plan.stevenyhofdesigns.com/v/ajMBhR92t8v3XYbEHLLY

image.thumb.png.efa7ed1b6b5ab43453edd252af427e34.png

image.thumb.png.27575f76bb3c39c3c8659b0aa4233bc4.png

Library of Grunge images and other things...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XJo7gJ9_KXpR-Pp0COgzfKdpmXtVjPE_/view?usp=sharing

Without Grunge Added to the Grass

without.thumb.jpg.4870b5d7383723dcff32d5ddd6bba9be.jpg

With Grunge Added to the Grass

with.thumb.jpg.8863b9cf4041a47e10876a6a184130d2.jpg

1 hour ago, ACADuser said:

This is PBR. But I'm so unskilled at setting it up.

Plus I sloped the front yard & the concrete is 3D solids that don't slope.

Front 03-23-24.JPG

Hi Alan, assuming your Signature is still accurate?  Chief will be defaulting to using the X12 version of PBR as it is not capable with a GTX970 ( or any GPU in the 900,1000.1600 series) to use Chief's newer Astral Lighting Engine introduced in X13, ( you can check in Preferences ) this is what most here refer to as PBR-RTRT (Realtime Raytracing), this is due to cards before the 2000 Series not having the embedded RTX Hardware to do Hardware Raytracing. 

Not that X12's PBR or even Standard View looked Bad to me, with X15 Chief has finally worked out most of the kinks in the new lighting Engine, ( the Denoiser has been a game changer, not sure why it wasn't implemented at the offset though ) which I heard has been improved in X16 from someone who attended KBIS last month.

Mick.

image.thumb.png.f7bb60207b3cdf054b7ad605079dcd08.png

On 3/23/2024 at 11:38 AM, ACADuser said:

Thanks for the Heads-Up

Yes mine says No on the Hardware Ray Trace.

So I have to find out if the newer Video card will run on my motherboard & CPU

At this point , I'd suggest you get a new Mobo/RAM/CPU, ( What I did in Jan.) and perhaps a PCIe4 NVME for the Main Slot for OS/Programs and use you existing NVME as Storage Drives

Another consideration for the new videocards maybe a higher wattage Power Supply for the newer CPU ( 14700k-14900k) and a 4070 Super GPU,  I am happy with my new 4080 Super, but it also the biggest Videocard I have ever seen, and it only fit in my case after a slight modification due to it's length.)

So perhaps a new system , with you current one "handed down" or stored as a backup might be a better option....

M.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

At this point , I'd suggest you get a new Mobo/RAM/CPU, ( What I did in Jan.) and perhaps a PCIe4 NVME for the Main Slot for OS/Programs and use you existing NVME as Storage Drives

I believe you helped me a few years ago with ideas for a better build. I have been holding off for the 5090, but now they are talking into 2025. I move along quit fine with mine, but when I'm on zoom with a client or drawing a large house, especially toward the end with all of its details, it gets slow enough to be annoying. 

Have you noticed your RTX4080 make a big difference with Chief? And would a 4090 still be better than what I have now - noticeably different?

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I believe you helped me a few years ago with ideas for a better build. I have been holding off for the 5090, but now they are talking into 2025. I move along quit fine with mine, but when I'm on zoom with a client or drawing a large house, especially toward the end with all of its details, it gets slow enough to be annoying. 

Have you noticed your RTX4080 make a big difference with Chief? And would a 4090 still be better than what I have now - noticeably different?

Thank you!

I waited for the 4080 Super to release for the Cost savings over the 4090 ( it's about 80-85% as quick)  as I am not sure the extra "power" of the 4090 is actually something chief can or will take advantage off , ( or it's extra Ram), it's actually not that demanding on 3D as an application, as say compared to a top flight AAA Game might be, so it may depend on what else you also do with the computer.

The 4080 Super is faster than my old 3080Ti and use less power and I don't feel like I'm sitting next to a little Heater anymore either :) . I am hoping this system will serve well for the next 3-5 years , so spreading the Cost out, it doesn't seem that bad. It seems like GPUs are never going back to the "good old days" pricing wise , so it always depends on Wants and needs and of course the budget or maybe what your tax return looks like this year :) .

* 1 caveat in upgrading computers is that at 1st you may notice some differences in speed etc, so you maybe wowed the 1st week, but after that it quickly becomes "normal" or expected.

M.