Tutors For Hands On Explaination Of Drawing Plans

DesignSpaceDC

I need a tutor or someone who can walk me thru the different processes in order to get up to speed

with Chief Architect plans. I have used 20-20 anld Planit but nothing as good as CA

Richard H

Bethesda MD

Do you have a budget to hire a tutor?

Some folks offer training in the "Offering Services" area of the forums. I was cross checking against the Q&A section to see who might suit best while I tried to narrow down just what I needed. 

I took a one day intro webinar from Chief right out of the box which was worthwhile. A month later took a 3 hr follow up. Then started looking for extra help, By the time I had it sorted out (about 8 months -slow, stupid and hungry) it was kind of moot and really couldn't afford it. Perhaps if I was smarter and thought Scott was available things might have been different.

Lots of videos available.

This forum and the legacy one are gold mines, these folks are the best. I read it daily even things I don't need right now. I save snippets for future reference.

There is a small but frustrating collection of gotchas doing kitchens;nothing compared to 2020 but in some ways more frustrating at first (affectionately known as work arounds :) You WILL find them. 

Search the forum (and the legacy forum) or post when you find the undocumented problems.

I recently started on a list with the intention of putting together a kitchen survival guide to help training the next person I bring on. I'll post a rough version of that when it is cleaned up a bit. It's not ready and I'm slammed right now.

IF you bought the Interiors version I'd suggest getting Premiere as soon as you can afford it.

• 7 months later...

How about some progression downloads that go with the videos?  Of all the CA training videos, I don't see anyway to download progress plans.  It is hard to learn/follow tutorials when there are no progress plans.  For example, Dalton/Albertson remodel tutorials. You cannot follow if you don't have the as-built plan. The closest thing I found for a start-to-finish was with the Cottage Chic, which in, it's introductory video, says you can download Progress Plans.  However, there are No Progress Plans to download.  It is particularly frustrating when then next video segment does not pick up from the previous, or changes to the model have been made between videos, etc...Hope I am not a complainer, but I did pay top $ for the software and yearly SSA, just want to learn how to use it.

Dave

For me learning CA is a bit like learning the computer. - Nobody learns the computer. In the same way nobody learns CA.

I have needs and need to satisfy those needs. For example I needed to import a feature survey into Chief. I studied the tutorial vidios provided with SSA. 

Now it's a no brainer. Import dwg convert cad lines to elevation lines etc. I had to find the solution to my problem. 

I hope this is not too cute but there are no real shortcuts to knowledge. Chief can be a little too promiscuous. Auto this auto that and auto the other. When you have discovered the limitations of the 'auto' your understanding begins.

I would think it reasonable to say that many experienced users have forgotten the time when there knowledge was limited to in-experience.

In my view it's not possible to learn Chief without pain. Like many I would raise my voice and say without 'pain there is no gain'.

I may be wrong but for me learning with progressive  plans is learning in an academic way. When applying Chief to your plans and finding the correct way by building on the knowledge you gain is real learning.

Chief will not teach you how to draw, present you visualisation or concepts. You own that. Chief will help you get it to screen and print.

Chief Architect is not perfect, it will frustrate and exasperate with it's limitations and with every upgrade and improvement it will continue to offer the hope of perfection. 

When I started using Chief the economics were so dreadful that the idea of using CA to make money were soon destroyed. Can anyone make money from Chief out of the box.

You are in the right place. That is a good start. As soon as you have a question that can be answered with a method it will be pounced on and if someone has a different or better solution you can bet that it will be offered.

We all have learned Chief in different yet the same ways (that's an oxymoron)

Good luck