Glass Shower Walls

MaryAnne

The Custom Backsplash and the Wall Material Region tools appear to be the same - but they are a bit different.

1.  Each has it's own Layer

2.  A Custom Backsplash can be applied over a Wall Material Region

3.  A Cusotm Backsplash (single click) won't work if there is a Cabinet with Backsplash on the wall.

4.  Wall Material Regions ignore Cabinets - Custom Backsplashes don't.

Otherwise they perform very much the same.  For Showers I prefer the Wall Material Region - just my personal preference.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CA has finally figured it out,  use same tool for many different purposes but give it a unique name and it is no longer a work around.  Brilliant.

BTW Graham,  nice catch,  and some nice input coming from you,  thanks.

Truly appreciate the encouragement. Have always found your posts to be enlightening and motivating, usually have to go in right away and explore first hand.

Yes, it's a very efficient way to bring in new features, take an existing one, massage it around a bit and rename it. The only caveat is that this, if not done correctly, can make the program appear either overly complex or limited, especially for new users. Its similar to the Apple & Microsoft situation (approach), Windows is extremely powerful, but you really need to dig around to get at it, Apple on the hand discourages or limits this, which at times restricts what one can do. Although I am 100% Microsoft I do have to give Apple credit as they certainly appear to have struck a balance that serves the needs of a significant number of users. Hopefully Windows 10 will provide us Microsoft fans with the best of both worlds, lets keep our fingers crossed.

"Complexity is defined by the number of components and their arrangement, not by the components themselves."

Graham

This is probably a post better sent to tech support but I have some very bizarre behavior occurring with shower walls. I shot the first video thinking I could recreate the problem but of course it went pretty well.

So I thought I would just run the video camera to see if I could capture the bad behavior and that video did capture it. It seemed to have happened with more than one action but in the case of the second vid it was moving an outside wall that disappeared the shower walls. 

I simply can't use this method at this time with this plan - the walls keep disappearing. Anyone else see this? Ever?

http://www.screencast.com/t/NJzezFYATGW

http://www.screencast.com/t/9ZGwHXYS

Here's the plan.

SHOWER WALLS 1.zip

Apologies for the mumbling and stream of consciousness narration. Wasn't sure I was going to post the vids.

This is probably a post better sent to tech support but I have some very bizarre behavior occurring with shower walls. I shot the first video thinking I could recreate the problem but of course it went pretty well.

So I thought I would just run the video camera to see if I could capture the bad behavior and that video did capture it. It seemed to have happened with more than one action but in the case of the second vid it was moving an outside wall that disappeared the shower walls. 

I simply can't use this method at this time with this plan - the walls keep disappearing. Anyone else see this? Ever?

http://www.screencast.com/t/NJzezFYATGW

http://www.screencast.com/t/9ZGwHXYS

Here's the plan.

attachicon.gifSHOWER WALLS 1.zip

Apologies for the mumbling and stream of consciousness narration. Wasn't sure I was going to post the vids.

Just a suggestion If I may, you are likely correct that this should be posted elsewhere. It's an interesting anomaly but it does not appear to be specific to the current discussions within this post heading, also happened when you were placing furniture pieces. Other forum members who may be experiencing similar problems or who may have a solution are unlikely to spot your posting. Also, it is most likely Chief staff monitor the forum to learn about software and hardware glitches, this would be facilitated by posting under an appropriately titled currently running post or opening up an appropriately titled new post. Lets do are part to assist them as best we can, the sooner they are aware of an issue the sooner we all get a solution.

Graham

Thanks for you understanding. I fully appreciate the intent. There are always times when we are unsure as to whether we are experiencing a software/hardware glitch or if it is technique related. In this case it is most likely best to open up a new post heading and flush it out there.

Sincerely,

Graham

For everyone's information regarding "building shower walls" (if that is still deemed to be on topic by those who decide such things) if you choose to use the method described in the videos, this is a known bug per Joe Carrick and CA tech support.

If you use walls that were created on the first floor, then saved to your library, they don't work on the second floor. You must first build the walls on the second floor then save to library in order for them to work on the second floor.

It's been logged at CA support.

Hope that may help someone in the future.

I like using standard walls and then applying polyline solids to them so you can control the thickness of each tile being used. This give you a more realistic view of the materials applied. The other big advantage is that in elevation view you get your to scale tile deign to review with the homeowner, get an exact tile take off and gives your tile installer a great row by row tile install plan. Also you have the ability to add text with call outs for each tile. It may take a little bit more time but I have found it to well worth the time to eliminate any homeowner or installer confusion with how the tile will look completed. I also include these layouts in our contract and have them approve & sign off.   See attached

Rob

post-180-0-75994700-1426074926_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-87160100-1426074943_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-55203000-1426074963_thumb.jpg

Nice job  Rob.  However I wonder if you could use moldings for the rope tiles and areas if there was a field of tile.  

If there were special tiles I do understand why you would need a single PSOLID for each tile.

I can understand how valuable what you are doing to avoid any confusion between owner and contractor.

Thanks for sharing.

Great example & explanation Rob. Your end needs are similar to mine, require the highest level of detail and control over every element. Our ability to deliver this is why our clients choose us over a competitor.

The only why I have found to achieve this with Chief on interior design is to utilize alternative tools/objects. Other than the lights & taps the attached design was generated using only two objects, a cabinet and a partition including the shower pan and even the sink. I can control and precisely dimension in all views. If I click on the glass for example I get its true size and position including offset from floor. There was little need to keep going back and forth to tool bars and catalogs. Drop one partition in the plan and just copy/paste, resize and position. Stacking partitions for detailed tile work is great as all bumping/pushing & snaps work perfectly in all views.

I believe these posting truly bring to light that the method one uses depends upon the end needs of the user. Personally this is why I chose Chief Architect, it allows me to do whatever I whish. Chief Architect is an extremely powerful piece of software, it just takes a bit of time to discover it.

Graham

post-4793-0-64187200-1426082101_thumb.jpg

I'm one of those Type A gotta be exact types. I go WAY overboard sometimes with the details but guys like my tile installer absolutely loves the layouts.  I even go one step further with full scale models of my tile designs for them to use.  We have never had to tear out tile because it was installed wrong.  See attached

post-180-0-73608400-1426089402_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-83905900-1426089410_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-14064800-1426089506_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-31166900-1426089835_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-65680800-1426089845_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

One issue I still run into is removing the top rail off of my half wall... A tutorial I watched indicated that I would be able to do so by opening up the "rails specifications" however it only gives me the option to change the rail profile or adjust its size, and "0" is not an option.. neither is supressing it... any suggestions?