X-6 & X-7 Raytracing - Pc Speeds

RobUSMC

I've been using X-7 now for about a week and have noticed a huge computer speed slow down during raytracing in X-7.  When Raytracing in X-6 I can barely notice any slowdown while using other programs with raytracing is going on in the background with X-6 minimized. I think I have a bit of a beast of a PC with dual higher end processors and graphics cards.  However, when raytracing a view in X-7, I am having extreme slow downs in just trying to open other folders on my PC. When I open folders with project phots and try to open these photos, it will think about it for sometimes up top a minute and IF Windows Explorer doesnt become "Not Responding" and has to restart.  When I switch back to X-6 with the same plan, same view, same raytrace all is back to normal without any issues.  Seems X-7 is throwing up a big road block somewhere that is making me to just want to throw up. LOL.  Attached are screen prints of my render & raytrace settings for both X-6 & X-7.  Anyone have this issue, thoughts or solutions.

Thanks as always to all the gurus out there. 

Rob

post-180-0-64895100-1424612147_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-36625800-1424612158_thumb.jpg

I keep my "software edge smoothing" to zero in both preview and final (Let the card do that ,not the software) but only the CPU handles the ray-traces. What you show is really only for renders not ray-traces. Check your ray-trace setup to compare with X6. There are some settings there that will extend the time it takes.

You need to add and optimize both the CA *.exe and the ray trace *.exe under Program Settings. 

CA does not use DirectX, so disable anything where the description mentions DirectX only.  Beyond that, it's really machine specific.

One thing I did notice in your CA settings, "Final View".  Set Software Smoothing to "0".  You want your expensive hardware to do its job, not the software.

jon

THX for the Tip Jon , I had done the Chief.exe but not the RayTracing engine's .exe in the Nvidia 3D management page

Rob it is on this Nvidia management page , if you hover your mouse over the options that you will see DirectX mentioned for some of them

Pity you can't copy a profile on this page , would save a bunch of work ......wonder why Chief hasn't contacted Nvidia and had default Profiles supplied? seems Game Developers do it....

M.

Pity you can't copy a profile on this page , would save a bunch of work ...

M.

Oh, wouldn't that be nice.

As for "profiles" on NVidia hardware.  NVidia only does games on their "Enthusiast" hardware line.  If CA (or any non-game vendor) wants optimal settings defined, it's only on their professional Quadro line.

jon

Uncheck "Use Maximum" under the ray trace preference panel and drop the number of cores used by 1. This will be equivalent to the "Optimize for Chief Architect" setting that you have in your X7 preferences. It gives up 1 core in raytracing allowing the rest of the computer 1 core to work with.

• 2 weeks later...

Doug_Park is correct. There is a setting under "Edit" "Preferences" "Raytrace" that allows you to assign the number of dedicated processor cores to the Raytace process. You need to reduce this by at least one in order to free up some of your processor for other tasks.

Keep-in-mind that Raytrace is primarily dependent upon the main processor and not the graphics card. The "Render" settings relate to the camera views so changing these will not have any effect on Raytrace performance. They will however effect camera view performance which in turn is dependent upon the graphics card.

Graham