Drawing roof valley

ericepv

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

2 hours ago, ericepv said:

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to add a valley to a roof? I seem to recall seeing a post on this awhile back but I haven't been able to find it.

Am I to assume you mean in 3D for accurate renderings ?   If so you will need to remove the shingles from your roof definition and add them along with the flashings manually so they can be adjusted just the way you like in the valleys and or eaves. 

2 hours ago, ericepv said:

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to add a valley to a roof? I seem to recall seeing a post on this awhile back but I haven't been able to find it.

You don't mean a cricket do you? I'm a little confused by your question. I don't know that we actually "add" a valley, they are simply the result of two perpendicular planes...

A screenshot with some notes would be helpful...

• Solution

It sounds like you are talking about for 3D views.

This is from a post of mine from a while back.

This can be done fairly easily - with a proviso that the valley actually sits on top of the roof surface.

This doesn't seem to be noticeable in the 3D views that I played with.

You can make Chief draw the 3D Polylines that hold the valley profile - the same way that it builds Ridge Caps - but it takes 2 steps.

Build your roof.

Add a Ridge Cap to the valleys by selecting a roof edge and turning On, Ridge Cap On Selected Edge.

Select the valley 3D Polylines and place them on their own layer.

Rebuild the roof - Chief will build all the hips and ridges and also display the valleys you created.

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 5.04.09 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 7.46.31 pm.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/14/2023 at 8:47 AM, glennw said:

It sounds like you are talking about for 3D views.

This is from a post of mine from a while back.

This can be done fairly easily - with a proviso that the valley actually sits on top of the roof surface.

This doesn't seem to be noticeable in the 3D views that I played with.

You can make Chief draw the 3D Polylines that hold the valley profile - the same way that it builds Ridge Caps - but it takes 2 steps.

Build your roof.

Add a Ridge Cap to the valleys by selecting a roof edge and turning On, Ridge Cap On Selected Edge.

Select the valley 3D Polylines and place them on their own layer.

Rebuild the roof - Chief will build all the hips and ridges and also display the valleys you created.

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 5.04.09 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 7.46.31 pm.jpg

Nice work @glennw, would it still work by pulling the edges of the valley away a bit from the valley line and then creating a sloping molding profile so you can lower it ?