Garage Slab Lines in 3D / Elevation ??

Chrisb222

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

The plan I'm working on appears to be outlining the garage slab as it projects over the foundation wall at door openings. This is how it will actually be built, but I've never seen this before and can't figure out what's causing it. I checked back several earlier plans, and all settings appear to be the same but the slab outline doesn't show on them. It's not a huge deal, but it makes the elevations in layout look odd. I can delete those lines easily in layout, but just curious if anyone can track down the cause. Stripped-down sample plan attached. Thanks.

1868479585_ScreenShot2023-09-17at11_25_06AM.thumb.png.68ebeef00680a2378134a4707f326d0c.png

1562936872_ScreenShot2023-09-17at11_32_08AM.thumb.png.4fc245c06526bd02909b8a0f3e2fb7c3.png

Garage Slab Issue.plan.zip

I think the reason you never saw this before is because it is new in X15:

• Garage slabs now extend over the top of stems walls at openings

After searching, I found it mentioned hidden here:

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-x15-changelog.pdf

I haven't figured out if there is an easier way to get rid of it though.  You could always just leave it since this is how the slab is built IRL.

19 hours ago, DBCooper said:

I think the reason you never saw this before is because it is new in X15:

• Garage slabs now extend over the top of stems walls at openings

Huh. Ok, thanks for the mystery-solve. I've been working in X15 for months, just never noticed.

And I read the entire changelog with each new release, but it's a lot to remember.

It's weird though because I checked some older plans before posting and when I open a back-clipped cross section in X14 the slab stops inside the wall, while the same plan opened in X15 does show the slab extending over the wall, but the outline doesn't appear in 3D and elevation views in those older plans.

Guess it's just one of those Chief Thangs. B)

I was playing around with this in a new plan and couldn't make it happen.  There must be something different about your plan but I don't know what.  I checked the materials because I know that you will often get extra lines between things when they have different materials but that does not look like the case here.  Might want to send it in to Chief.

I'm used to the trim showing on the bottom because my exterior hinged doors are always 1.5" off the floor. It would be nice if Chief gave us a bit more control over how this functions.

It gets a bit more awkward when using an ICF foundation because Chief likes to strip Styrofoam in an uncontrolled fashion.

Now that the slab sticks through, I had to edit all my room types to get rid of the additional sub-base layers.

In the image below, the door on the right is at 0" above the floor...although I'm not sure how hard you'd need to push to be able to open it.

image.thumb.png.14c569933b7fa7eca1a0eb85829049cb.png

For exterior hinged doors, Chief will not build the rough opening bottom clearance lower than the top of the subfloor, regardless of the value you enter. It appears as though the only way to get the slab to extend over the foundation wall for a hinged exterior door is to leave the bottom of the door at 0" from the floor. Needless to say, there are some modelling details at play here that could use further development. If it were up to me, I'd start with the ability to properly select and model a door sill / threshold.

• Solution

OK, so I finally figured out what was going on here.  Your plan has 3 different concrete materials that are all named the same.  If your stem wall and your slab are using different materials, they will show these extra lines.  Just open up your "plan materials" dialog and merge the 3 concrete materials into one and your extra lines will go away

concrete material.png

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

OK, so I finally figured out what was going on here.  Your plan has 3 different concrete materials that are all named the same.  If your stem wall and your slab are using different materials, they will show these extra lines.  Just open up your "plan materials" dialog and merge the 3 concrete materials into one and your extra lines will go away

Bean Clap GIFs | Tenor

18 hours ago, DBCooper said:

OK, so I finally figured out what was going on here.

Thanks. You're very persistent lol.

I have dups and triplets of all kinds of stuff. It used to bug me and I'd go through now and then and clean up my plan materials, but eh.... no one's offered to pay me to do that, so who really cares?? :P

• Upvote 1

Here is a garage with the room specified as a garage and a generated slab foundation,  

image.thumb.png.8bd034e13f0c80a14ecfd69691bbf0b7.png

Here is the same garage with stem walls and frost footings.

image.thumb.png.252eed7be9541019b4745ef4d8fa518a.png

And here is the same building with an unspecified room definition, and a floor finish specified as concrete.  

image.thumb.png.10e01204f290cf22fbd9dc0ef376e976.png

Is that what you are seeing?