Line Weights when sent to PDF ?

Chopsaw

I an not sure I have had this issue before but can't seem to be able to send a line weight less than about 16 to PDF.  Even a 1 or a 0 prints out the same as a 16.  Printing at 600 dpi. with Chief Architect Save As PDF and a  Drawing Sheet line weight of 1= 1/100 mm.  Even 4000 dpi. does not have any improvement.  Layout Line scaling or not gives the same result.

image.thumb.png.f2e807f748d88cdeef0a00031a12c98f.png

• Chopsaw changed the title to Line Weights when sent to PDF ?
9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I am not sure I have had this issue before but can't seem to be able to send a line weight less than about 16 to PDF.  Even a 1 or a 0 prints out the same as a 16.  Printing at 600 dpi. with Chief Architect Save As PDF and a  Drawing Sheet line weight of 1= 1/100 mm.  Even 4000 dpi. does not have any improvement.  Layout Line scaling or not gives the same result.

image.thumb.png.f2e807f748d88cdeef0a00031a12c98f.png

Have you tried changing your drawing sheet line weight scale to 1:150mm? I find that gives a little more control.

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Have you tried changing your drawing sheet line weight scale to 1:150mm? I find that gives a little more control.

Thanks Ryan,    Yes I have made adjustments as others have suggested in other threads to the drawing sheet line weight scale all the way from 1/50mm to 1/1000mm and it makes no difference to this situation.

I found out very late last night that printing with "Adobe PDF" driver does seem to handle the line weight issue but then makes a mess that must have something to do with line endcaps so I am not really any further ahead.

37 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Thanks Ryan,    Yes I have made adjustments as others have suggested in other threads to the drawing sheet line weight scale all the way from 1/50mm to 1/1000mm and it makes no difference to this situation.

I found out very late last night that printing with "Adobe PDF" driver does seem to handle the line weight issue but then makes a mess that must have something to do with line endcaps so I am not really any further ahead.

Gotcha.  Any chance you tried viewing the pdf in another pdf viewer?  I don’t know if that would make a difference but id does with other pattern issues for some people…

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

Gotcha.  Any chance you tried viewing the pdf in another pdf viewer?  I don’t know if that would make a difference but id does with other pattern issues for some people…

Thanks Ryan,  It seems to be a template issue but I just can't seem to find the problem so I sent it to tech support.

1 hour ago, BenMerritt said:

There's a hard-coded minimum line width of about 1/300 in. for PDFs (when using "Chief Architect Save As PDF") in order to mitigate issues where zero-width lines would come through as extremely faint in many PDF viewers.

Hi Ben,  Is that something that has changed in one of the more recent versions ?  Also how would the 1/300 in. correspond to an actual line weight # using the default Drawing Sheet Setup of  1/100 mm ?

1 hour ago, BenMerritt said:

There's a hard-coded minimum line width of about 1/300 in. for PDFs (when using "Chief Architect Save As PDF") in order to mitigate issues where zero-width lines would come through as extremely faint in many PDF viewers.

Interesting as I have also been having this Issue in X15 ( maybe X14 too? ) and several Clients now have complained about the "massive" Lines in PDFs in the last few months, so I have been trying Joey Martin's Settings  which have helped some................   @joey_martin

from his post here :  

3 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Hi Ben,  Is that something that has changed in one of the more recent versions ?  Also how would the 1/300 in. correspond to an actual line weight # using the default Drawing Sheet Setup of  1/100 mm ?

This behavior dates back to X12 Beta 2.

By my calculations, 1/300 in. comes out to 0.085 mm, so between 8 and 9. With the rounding involved, slightly larger line weights than that may round down to match a line weight of 1.

As an additional restriction, the line will never be thinner than one "dot" at your given DPI setting, e.g. 1/150 in. at 150 DPI.

• 9 months later...

Hi Chopsaw, 

I am having the same issue - all looks fine in layout but when sent to pdf, the line weight get super fat. Changing line weights in drawing sheet setup does not have any effect. My previous projects printed fine.....Did you ever get to a solution? 

I find that if the line weight is left at 1, it is too heavy. Changing to 4 makes the line very fine. I generally use 4 as my finest line weight and then if I really need a medium weight I go to 8 or often 11. Most of my heavier line weights are double numbers since they are easier to type. 33, 44, 111

Found a solution that worked for me......When printing layout  to pdf, I was getting very thick lines for one file. In drawing sheet setup, the .plan file was set to a different line weight than the .layout file prior to sending to layout. 

I made sure both were back to the default setting of 1/100 mm and all works fine again.