Shelf Ceiling in Open Stairwell Closet

Drew-PRH

Good day all,

Trying to figure out the best way to place a ceiling into a closet below some stairs.

The owners would like the same stair system as the other floors, however I can't seem to figure the sloped ceiling for the closet below.

It's probably an easy setting somewhere I'm just overlooking - hmmm.

Thanks for the assistance in advance.

- Drew

Shelf Ceiling in Stairwell Closet.jpg

If you are going to keep the single stringer with open risers, then I would probably just use something like a p-solid underneath to use as a ceiling above the closet.  I'm not really sure how this would look in the real world though.

If you want a different style stair over the closet, then you could use a "complete" break, shift select the upper section, and change the settings so that it has a closed riser on it instead.

• Upvote 1

Thanks DB for the great idea, I did not try that. :)

Also, John exceptional design!  Good job.  I've seen the chrome or steel 'buttons or caps' for glass before.

Are those tucked away somewhere within Chief's library?  Or did you make those?

I could implement something like that if you could share where you found them.

Thanks!!

I just did an image search for modern San Francisco interiors, and found two pics of open-riser staircases, one with cable railings, the other glass railings.  

In both cases the treads look over-thick compared to what you see in, say, Miami or New York.  Over-thick so the space between is, well, maybe 3-7/8".

And the cable railing looked to be that tight, also.  So, to code?

Screenshot 2023-08-04 165910.png

Screenshot 2023-08-04 165940.png