Slab On Top Of Stem Wall?

MickeyToo

Tried again in the framing overview and it worked again. 

http://screencast.com/t/brpudeSOm

BUT it does NOT work when building the structure as in your video.

http://screencast.com/t/2fNoK7c9Lr

Anyway thanks again and I'll stop highjacking this thread

Thanks Larry for giving this a try.  I think you have now experienced what I have experienced....... many many times...........  and that is.........  

We do a FRAMING OVERVIEW and we want three options....

1.   to see the finished floor material

2.   to take off the finished floor material and see only the  plywood below

3.   to take off the finished floor material and the plywood sheathing and see only the floor joists

As you have experienced,  we can do this SOMETIMES by turning off the ROOMS LAYER,  or the FLOOR SURFACES LAYER.......  sometimes it works and    sometimes it does not work...... I don't get it......  this is the kind of stuff I wish we could get with CA one on one and discuss.  I am sure I have sent this in, but I think these reports went into the abyss.  Would be nice to get some acknowledgement that they recognize the issue and they are working on it.

But quite frankly,  this is not a deal breaker,  just a pretty neat feature that when it works it is kind of cool.

I've changed my procedure for Floor Finishes.  My Default is no Finish Floor.  Then I add Floor Material Regions in each room.  They are on Layer "Material Regions" so I can have "Floor Surfaces" displayed (the Slab Floor Structure).

I like this procedure for my Floors because I can create much more flexible finish flooring layouts.  My Entire Structure starts out with a "Framed Floor" which can be a 4" concrete Slab - which can even have gravel and a membrane under it.  I thought this might be more work - but I was having to go into each room and change the flooring anyway since the default never seems to match most of the rooms.

BTW, this allows me to change the material in a large room without having an "invisible wall".

This is an extremely intriguing possibility. I just tried it out on a test plan, and the only downside I see is having to cut the material regions into the door thresholds - a rather tedious process. I think you may be addressing this issue with your suggestion: https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/3973-floor-finish-boundary/

Chief has a detail in the library OOTB that details the situation, but won't model the same situation. 

Joey,

I can easily get Chief to build the slab on top of the stem wall or top of slab inside stem wall (no slab thickening though as in your detail).

It's also easy to switch between the 2 methods.

post-106-0-15823700-1424320973_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-58083300-1424321175_thumb.jpg

As an aide...really though, why? During the last downturn in new construction I was bombarded with calls about remodels (which I also avoid like the plague) and most of them were in developments where the builder put the homes on slabs. 80% said that they wanted the home remodeled, but some of the ducts were in the slab, and some of the electrical, and etc....Once they gave me their budget and it didn't include breaking the slab to account for the hidden treasures, I told them to get a bucket of paint and good luck. 

I haven't been able to do that, but honestly I don't do many slabs....maybe one a year...I avoid them like the plague. I can't for the life of me understand why you would choose to build on a slab, but to each his own...like shipping containers, are you kidding me with those? 

Cost!

I have, for example, put up many detached garages and slab on grade is all I use. I don't see why someone would gladly pay extra for both the slab AND frost wall in these application's.

In the northeast, and it depends on the township of course, but, a slab, for a house, is frowned upon...but yet I have come across several.

And yes, they are no picnic to work on as part of a renovation.