Post beam interior wall construction

Chalky

I have seen this and watched a similar video, however they don't address interior framing between the posts of the exterior walls.  When designing the default wall for our construction, we don't have an option to frame out the main layer between the posts. Thanks for your time, DB.

There's really no way to make posts a part of the room definition.  You could use invisible walls to define the rooms and then use regular interior walls between the posts (no room definition) but you would have to create them offset and then move them into place after specifying them as "No Room Definition".

It could be a bit tricky.

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

could use invisible walls to define the rooms and then use regular interior walls between the posts

I actually tried this method on my first post-beam.  Hated it, esp. if anything changed.  And I was always reconfiguring that invisible wall.  To me, since my clients do not use a wall details (per Chief), nor a BOM of lumber, I just ran my walls as normal and placed my post.  So much simpler.  Not to mention, the post are typically 8" sq.. how much am I really gaining in a BOM if I cut at each post?   For a detail, I pick one post and manually place studs (poly solids, material fir) to show the connection.    

Screenshot 2023-05-31 211838.png

GRIMES-HARVEY PRELIM EXTERIOR 1 REV1.jpg

GRIMES-HARVEY PRELIM LIVING AREA 4 REV1.jpg

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Chalky said:

Amended:  I'm not seeing that this calculates materials and measurements properly.  It does get the appearance.  

You can do it with multiple wall types with a post at your interval and no other layers and an interior framed wall with the posts set as non room defining partition walls.  You would need to break the interior wall at each post and turn the little wall at the post invisible.

But as Michael mentions it will be a pain.  A tip is when you cut the framed wall at posts flip the direction of that little segment so it doesn’t rejoin together prior to making it invisible.