Split a Roof Plane

JKEdmo

Go to solution Solved by Chopsaw,

1 hour ago, JKEdmo said:

Is it possible to split a roof plane into two separate planes?  Trim command?

Thanks,

Jim

Since you're going manual, I just adjust the plane then copy/paste or reflect, or whatever is needed. Not really necessary to spilt it.

22 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Since you're going manual, I just adjust the plane then copy/paste or reflect, or whatever is needed. Not really necessary to spilt it.

That's what I wound up doing.  Thanks.

Jim

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

You can usually just place a double break and then tear a strip completely out for a quick method on a simple plane.

Thanks Chopsaw.  I tested your method and it worked!

Very interesting technique.  I don't think I would have ever thought of this in a million years.  I wonder why Chief does not have a "split" along line tool or similar.

Jim

If you need an arbitrary shape, you can use the poly subtraction and intersection tools.

1. draw the polyline that cuts through the roof plane where you want it cut and then make it contain half of the roof plane.

2. select the roof plane and then subtract out the polyline.  retain the original.

3. select the original roof plane and then intersect it with the polyline.  you can now delete the original.

You should have two separate roof planes that are cut by the poly shape you drew.

poly subtract intesect.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

If you need an arbitrary shape, you can use the poly subtraction and intersection tools.

Thanks DB.

I'll give that a whirl tomorrow.

Jim

Way to go ! Chopsaw, I have never heard of this technique before. Tearing off a strip or give it the “scourging” treatment. I would like to see it illustrated or a video on “Scourging a roof plane” cool !