Recessed Downlight Under Stairs

DefinedDesign

4 hours ago, DefinedDesign said:

Any suggestions on how to get recessed downlights on the main level stairs going to the basement to follow the ceiling being made by the stairs above?

Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 5.29.34 PM.png

Place the light on the level of the room that has the ceiling you want it in.  So if your second level ceiling is above your stairs going to the first level place the light on the second level.

12 hours ago, rgardner said:

Place the light on the level of the room that has the ceiling you want it in.  So if your second level ceiling is above your stairs going to the first level place the light on the second level.

Thank you for your response - you're always so kind to provide feedback.  I thought I would share a video showing the issue.  In addition to what is shown here in the video I also tried to place the lights on the basement level and run into the same issue, the lights show on the main level 3D rendering levitating over the stairs.  I'm not certain how to make them attach to the ceiling.

CA Adding Lights Under Stairs Issues

I would probably just take a back-clipped section view and manually rotate the light and pull it down to the correct elevation. It won't 'attach' to the stairs, because the underside of the stair is not recognized as a ceiling surface.

I'd place one light correctly, then copy the other lights into place using the point-to-point tool while in the back-clipped section view.

• Like 1

Like Robert suggests but if you want to be a bit more precise...

After placing light on floor below....

Take a back clipped section through the side and a 3d cutaway so you can see directly. Set them up side to side so you see both.

Transform replicate to get the light in the general area but below the ceiling you want.

Get the position left to right and front to back in the space ( in floor plan using reference display)

Go to section

Measure the angle of the stairs/ceiling. Open light symbol rotate on the X axis 90 so it is vertical click ok (easier to use the angle you measured.)

image.thumb.png.b6481bfdae58c73348ca6627bd6e8eab.png

Then open symbol again, rotate x axis again this time using the angle you measured (in the case of what I show it was Minus the angle.

image.thumb.png.b8ec842af926545fab0041e773a0d8dc.png

Use tape measure tool to see how far the edge is from the ceiling

Transform replicate to move the light on the Z axis using the dimension you measured.

image.thumb.png.5ed2a21aa420a2c10906889a4ab05682.png

• Like 1