ridge vent qty

DrawingABlank

Go to solution Solved by Chopsaw,

How does chief get the ridge vent qty? I did not find anything in the manual or in forum search.

Two planes meeting at a peak of 40' length gives component ridge vent length result of 20'. It would seem to be allotting half of the ridge vent length to each plane.

Could anyone confirm that or clarify? Thank you

edit: reiterated topic title in the body by adding vent in reported results. Sorry for the confusion

• Solution
4 hours ago, DrawingABlank said:

Two planes meeting at a peak of 40' length gives component ridge length result of 20'. It would seem to be allotting half of the ridge length to each plane.

Could anyone confirm that or clarify? Thank you

Yes that is how it works and always good to verify as there are certain situations when it does not work. ;)

On 2/24/2023 at 5:30 PM, DBCooper said:

I get 33' of ridge cap for a 30' building with gable ends.  Seems right to me.

Thanks. In cases around here the vent is actually held back some from the end and a 'one for one' cap = vent is not as accurate for my needs. So I was looking more at situations when ridge vent is selected as the default though.

On 2/24/2023 at 5:31 PM, JLU_Design said:

Is this what your after:

In a way the schedule results and reporting in text was my goal. In order to get the correct result knowing how the vent qty is achieved was important. (instead of just cap)

On 2/24/2023 at 9:54 PM, Chopsaw said:

Yes that is how it works and always good to verify as there are certain situations when it does not work. ;)

Thanks for confirming that. Good point to keep an eye on it in some cases.

On 2/24/2023 at 2:05 PM, DrawingABlank said:

Two planes meeting at a peak of 40' length gives component ridge length result of 20'. It would seem to be allotting half of the ridge length to each plane.

Could anyone confirm that or clarify?

Where exactly are you seeing this "component ridge length" and could you possibly post a simple example plan with this happening?  Because in my experience, when you have 2 properly joined roof planes generating a Ridge Cap at the peak, only one of them will report the Ridge Cap material.  They're not each reporting half. 

4 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Where exactly are you seeing this "component ridge length" and could you possibly post a simple example plan with this happening?  Because in my experience, when you have 2 properly joined roof planes generating a Ridge Cap at the peak, only one of them will report the Ridge Cap material.  They're not each reporting half. 

My goal for posting was for ridge "vent" quantity. I did leave out that key point when commenting on the reported values. I edited the original to clarify that.

Your question is curious though... it seems that ridge cap is not a value that is usable in macro or other? At least not from what is in basic object properties for each plane. Of course this qty still reports in to materials though. Thanks for inquiring and being willing to assist.

ridge vent component.JPG

11 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Because in my experience, when you have 2 properly joined roof planes generating a Ridge Cap at the peak, only one of them will report the Ridge Cap material.  They're not each reporting half. 

How would chief decide which roof plane was going to report for the ridge cap ?   I have never seen what you are describing on a plane by plane basis.

However the material list will do a tally for you.

image.png.cf1b9f71b7a8cf9a50b1a90e645a67ce.png

2 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

There is no way in Chief to place or count ridge vent.

If you have it selected it will report the ridge length as the OP is reporting.   But you are correct you would need to contrive a way to show ridge vents or use a library symbol.  ;)

2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

How would chief decide which roof plane was going to report for the ridge cap ?   I have never seen what you are describing on a plane by plane basis.

First off, I should probably clarify that I was misunderstanding the original post so this may be a moot point, but I guess I should probably clarify my statement.  I was specifically referring to the Ridge Cap.  It shows up in the Components panel for the individual roof plane(s) that are automatically generating them.  When the planes are properly joined, the 3D Molding Polyline for the Ridge Cap is generated but its only actually generated by one of the Roof Planes.  It is however not sent to the Material List by the Roof Plane.  It's sent to the Material List by the Ridge Cap Molding Polylines themselves.

What the OP was apparently talking about as I'm sure you already knew was the Ridge Vent.  That is generated exactly as you say--half by one affected plane and half bu the other affected plane.  The behavior is a little odd, but it also makes sense.  Unlike the Automatically Generated Ridge Cap Molding, nothing is actually being created in the plan, so there's no single object to report.  With no object to report, I'm guessing Chief just thought it made more sense for each plane to report its own share rather than putting all on a single plane. 

• Upvote 1

For a hipped roof, is ridge vent counted for half of all roof edge join in any single plane?  Thus vent count for all hips?

For any roof, is ridge vent counted for roof overhang?  We've never done vented caps outboard of the gable walls?

5 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

For a hipped roof, is ridge vent counted for half of all roof edge join in any single plane?  Thus vent count for all hips?

You can test and see for yourself, but no.  Its only counted for horizontal peaks.

6 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

For any roof, is ridge vent counted for roof overhang?

Yes.  You can deal with this pretty easily by just subtracting some length from each plane though with a custom macro.

25 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:
34 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

For any roof, is ridge vent counted for roof overhang?

Yes.  You can deal with this pretty easily by just subtracting some length from each plane though with a custom macro.

It does not seem there is any access to overhang data to make a calculated subtraction of the exact overhang or even a percentage of It.  If that is true perhaps we should be requesting access to that ?

4 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

It does not seem there is any access to overhang data to make a calculated subtraction of the exact overhang or even a percentage of It.  If that is true perhaps we should be requesting access to that ?

If its something you find yourself needing, then yes.  For sure.  I probably won't be asking for it, but I certainly wouldn't mind having it.  In the meantime it has to either be done on a plane by plane basis or by using a generic adjustment factor. 

As a side note, you could potentially automate a more refined adjustment factor by using the roof area along with the overhang area in your calculation...maybe using some other parameters as well.  I don't know though.  I haven't actually thought it through. Just throwing pencils at the ceiling till one of them sticks.

4 hours ago, basketballman said:

What if we went " old school; extremely low tech "

and just ran a temp dimension line in an elevation view to get right answer ?

Manual is what I typically do. Your implications are correct that sometimes its not worth it. After many years I am just taking another look at tasks big and small to see where further improvements can be made. For me that includes moving beyond the predefined tools to further utilize other assets that Chief has. Quite a few on the forum are good examples of that thinking. Thanks everyone