Stop Wall from Extending to Roof Above

JKEdmo

Good morning,

I have a stairwell that extends from the basement to the first floor above.  The basement is below grade.  I have my basement foundation walls with full 2x4 furred walls at the interior, all part of one wall type.

image.thumb.png.421e31c51171ca0734c2e8dcd0a14b1f.png

On the first floor, I've decided to frame my 2x4 stairwell walls directly on top of the furred walls below rather than on the concrete foundation walls.  These framed walls will step back from the concrete foundation wall below and will be flashed.

image.thumb.png.4eb7fc4032c46a1b6cf317e9dc18cc35.png

Anyhow all seemed great...

image.thumb.png.5f751752ce06cd49ce835a98a94e1fff.png

But, as soon as I built my shed roof over the stairwell, the concrete foundation walls below extended to the new roof above in front of the framed walls.

image.thumb.png.25dabba1ea48fbb85c0d25dc0f774e83.png

How would you handle this?  Would you manually edit the tops of the concrete walls?  Another thought I had was build little roofs over the concrete walls -- essentially the flashing -- to stop the walls.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

image.png

Auto walls will build (on the foundation level) when the foundation senses a roof above. 

Note how the 1st floor is held inwards. Shouldn't they be aligned w/ outside of foundation?

Anyway, the roof is causing them to go skyward.  

You could turn of "auto-rebuild attic walls" and that will tell them to stay put. 

40 minutes ago, VHampton said:

Note how the 1st floor is held inwards. Shouldn't they be aligned w/ outside of foundation?

Yes, I did that on purpose.  I wanted the 2-story stairwell to have flush walls top to bottom at the interior and no horizontal shelf as you go down the stairs.  Alternately, I could do a double stud wall on the upper floor, but I settled on this.

But, these non-aligned / non-stacking walls are creating the issue.

I built small roofs over the concrete walls to represent flashing.  Not certain if this is the simplest or most elegant solution, but seems to work.

image.thumb.png.034e4fb2334f618732effcec466b7c68.png

I appreciate everyone's insight.

Jim

• Upvote 2