Extra roof overhang causing wall to go up.

pattyw

I have a small inset wall between two walls further out.  The auto roof was trying to keep the same overhang and inserting valleys, etc.  I changed that wall so that the roof overhang would push it out to match up with the other walls.  Yeah, roof builds like I want.  However when looking at a cross section, it's now building up that wall higher.

I don't need it to extend that wall higher.  The trusses will rest on the original wall height, just stick further out.

Is there a setting I'm missing to do what I want?

RoofOverhangIssue.png

Attached are 3 pics and a plan. 

The 1st one is the base with the walls where I want them, but the roof has those two valleys.

The 2nd one I played with the overhang on that inner wall until the valleys went away, but then it opened up that sofft.  I'm wanting that left soffit to match what it's doing for the right.

The 3rd one, I left the overhang alone, and instead put it an invisible wall.  That fixes the roof and the cross section, except that now the lower roof is stopping at that invisible wall.

Is there a fix for either 2 or 3 above?  I like #3 approach the most, but currently use 2 since only the cross section is wrong.

RoofIssue1.png

RoofIssue2.png

RoofIssue3.png

RoofIssue3.plan

On 9/10/2022 at 2:22 PM, pattyw said:

I have a small inset wall between two walls further out.  The auto roof was trying to keep the same overhang and inserting valleys, etc.  I changed that wall so that the roof overhang would push it out to match up with the other walls.  Yeah, roof builds like I want.  However when looking at a cross section, it's now building up that wall higher.

I don't need it to extend that wall higher.  The trusses will rest on the original wall height, just stick further out.

Is there a setting I'm missing to do what I want?

RoofOverhangIssue.png

Made you a quick "how to" video...hope it helps.

PattyW - Chief Talk - Build Roof with Alcove Tip - Watch Video

82a4a9173d4b4644a22d0e5b64917b88-with-play.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the video, I learned some new tricks in that.  I had tried that feature but it didn't do exactly what I wanted.  One thing I failed to do in my test file above was offset the walls.  I've attached a new sample file.

I'd like the topmost roof to auto build like in the 1st image.

The 2nd image is with the alcove setting.

AlcoveOffsetRoofIssue1.png

AlcoveOffsetRoofIssue2.png

RoofIssue4.plan