Does exporting a DWG file allow an interior designer to work in 3D?

K-Lynn

I need to send a DWG file to a client to get to an interior designer in their home country. I guess the internet is unreliable there and will be forwarded from a couple people.

1. Will the designer be able to work in 3D? Would you recommend sending a current view of each floor or export all floors?

2. I typically only give my clients a PDF of the layout, not a file that can be edited. Typically the engineer is the only one I send a drawing file.  I'm curious how others handle this. Do you send a license to construct one home like the online plan sites? Thoughts?

1 hour ago, K-Lynn said:

1. Will the designer be able to work in 3D? Would you recommend sending a current view of each floor or export all floors?

That totally depends upon the technical abilities of the "Designer" and their software tools

1 hour ago, K-Lynn said:

2. I typically only give my clients a PDF of the layout, not a file that can be edited. Typically the engineer is the only one I send a drawing file.  I'm curious how others handle this. Do you send a license to construct one home like the online plan sites? Thoughts?

I have never had this as a problem. I use the 3D viewer and 360 panoramas for clients as well as PDF's. Their interior designer is their problem to solve, not yours.

AutoCAD files are natively 2D and a 3D DWG file might be editable in AutoDesk or perhaps REVIT but that is not my field of expertise.

DJP

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, K-Lynn said:

I typically only give my clients a PDF of the layout, not a file that can be edited

If you are worried just supply the PDF , the INT Designer can Trace the PDF in their SW to Create the 3D , I import and Trace ARCH. PDFs for Clients and create the 3D in Chief many times a year doing AS-Builts etc, so I'd assume other Software can do similar.

I am not sure how well a 3D DWG from Chief Works when exported, have not been asked for that as all my clients use Chief. A 2D DWG export would give them Floor plans only to "trace" which can be a bit easier than tracing a PDF.

Mick.

3D collaboration can be done in a number of ways.

As mentioned above and also some people here like to export their 3D model views into other 3D rendering applications as well to work on them.

Ideally for Chief Architect users, it’s good if the interior designers have a copy of Chief Interiors or even if you can do your model in home designer pro first or similar products ?

For this to work with other Chief related products, you will need to confirm file transfers between these applications. 

Sending a 2D DWG file for the interior designer to draw their own walls over is another good option particularly if they have their own dedicated interior design software. 

Placing and editing cabinets and objects is very easy to use in Chief Architect.

I think the first thing you need to know is, what application will your interior designer be using and then take it from there.

I export a chief 3d model to the free online version of Sketchup and share the Sketchup file so they can play around in 3D.  

I've found that even firms that use Autocad have no idea how to generate a 3D model from a plan in dwg, hence the Sketchup solution.  

• Upvote 1

I think it is will depend on whether the Int. Designer needs to actually work on the Chief 3D Model or just View it, a Cost effective solution maybe for the ID to rent Chief  ($199) or Home Designer Pro ($59) monthly or even purchase HD Pro ($600) as a more cost effective solution vs totally redrawing the Project in their own software.

I am not sure you'd have much luck enforcing a License once the Plan is overseas and it wouldn't be a cheap process either. 

M.

• Upvote 1