light dripping, blasting, leaking

SHCanada2

14 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

anyone know how to fix the fluorescent light

Can be tricky. Open the light, go to light data tab. Click show position in camera, sometimes changing the offset fixes, sometimes changing to spot which has other issues and sometimes changing lumens as Gene suggest....sometimes a combination. Once satisfied uncheck show postion.

Just from looking at the images I can think of a few issues I'd check:

• Light source is too intense, decrease the lumens
  • Try adjusting the absolute elevation of the light source
  • You're getting too much reflection from the ceiling, is is set to matte or general material?

4 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

How's it look with the lights dimmed way down?

they were down  to 100 lumens. only at zero does it go away

3 hours ago, ericepv said:

Try adjusting the absolute elevation of the light source

I tried this by changing the distance relative to ceiling, then it became worse

3 hours ago, ericepv said:

You're getting too much reflection from the ceiling, is is set to matte or general material?

I have this, should it be something different?

image.thumb.png.88f682620023917b09f813854c6429a0.png

4 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Open the light, go to light data tab. Click show position in camera, sometimes changing the offset fixes, sometimes changing to spot which has other issues and sometimes changing lumens as Gene suggest....sometimes a combination

tried moving to center, changing from spot to point. no difference:

image.thumb.png.fa5676f2d432feb1a68eda077036a82f.png

as part of the core catalog, one would think the settings should be correct, and so perhaps something else, or maybe not...

1 hour ago, jasonn1234 said:

tried moving to center, changing from spot to point. no difference:

Moving it works for me.

image.thumb.png.565fd881da27c500678967b915ff6c02.pngimage.thumb.png.0101c4db43f04b91ea398318a79a4ba5.png

1 hour ago, jasonn1234 said:

as part of the core catalog, one would think the settings should be correc

Yeah that would be nice. The content team does a really nice job overall. RTRT is relatively new and there are thousands of symbols with many needing adjustment, first when PBR came out and then again with RTRT. Did you send in a report/request? Might want to do that. In the meantime once you have one working add to user library, then replace all from library and in the future you can just grab it. :)

6 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Might want to do that. In the meantime once you have one working add to user library, then replace all from library and in the future you can just grab it

that was going to be my next question if I do not get it working...does someone have one that does. I'll adjust the ceiling definition and see if I can mimick your results in the meantime. what are your settings for light 1 and light 3? You screenshot shows that your light 2 is camera only . does that mean it is being used for RTRT, or not being used?

The documentation seems non descriptive (does "regular 3D view" include RTRT?)

• Select Use in Camera View to turn the selected light source on in regular 3D views only.
  • Select Use in CPU Ray Tracing to turn the selected light source on in CPU Ray Trace views only.
  • Select Use in Both to turn the selected light source on in both camera and CPU Ray Trace views.

changing the ceiling to a texture and keeping the light source with no offset, seems to have worked:

Thanks all.

something else funky happened, I changed the ceiling texture back to the stock color-bone, which has no texture and now the ceiling is no longer shiny and the bleeding is gone

...go figure

7 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

what are your settings for light 1 and light 3? You screenshot shows that your light 2 is camera only . does that mean it is being used for RTRT, or not being used?

Image is 4 walls with roof and foundation using OOB defaults (including ceiling), 3 lights are from core library. The only change made to any is what is shown in image-light 2. Lights 1 and 3 of the fixture are already at -6. and 0. As Eric pointed out sometimes it's a glossy material that needs adjustment as well or instead.

7 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

something else funky happened

Sometimes with a render open after it refreshes things are not quite the same (sometimes not so good) Could be that or could be possible the ceiling was painted accidentally? It happens when using spray can on something set with same material which one (of several) reason to use defaults to change materials.