Using GENERAL FRAMING MEMBERS ??

ACADuser

I've not used these very often, but I wanted to frame a pop-out which is outside of the building envelope.

I can drag the horizontal framing members but Chief does not want to do vertical members.

Maybe there is an easier way?

CA Framing.PNG

CA Framing2.PNG

25 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

If you built a room you would have consistent framing with no manual framing members, unless you prefer them. This is a room with a doorway to create the opening. Setting heights etc. a bit tricky but once done it will remain and frame.

BALC ROOM.png

BALC ROOM 2.png

The floors for this building are cantilevered.  The framing illustrated will definitely not work.  The joists should run into the main building for at leas 6x the cantilever.  This is a project for a structural engineer to specify and provide structural drawings.  At least in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

The floors for this building are cantilevered.  The framing illustrated will definitely not work.  The joists should run into the main building for at leas 6x the cantilever.  This is a project for a structural engineer to specify and provide structural drawings.  At least in my opinion.

Not sure what you're seeing but the upper deck (of Alan's plan) looks like it cantilevers about 1 ft. and the lower pop-out appears to be a simple plant-on accent unless you're referring to the simple illustration that I posted which has no direct relation to the plan the OP is working on but was meant, again as a simple illustration of how he might handle the question he posted..

Thanks Larry but the room method is full of issues.

Part of the problem is that the pop out is 12" higher than the house floor.

I raised the floor & made the floor 12" thick and it is close to the configuration desired.

Those issues might be easy to clean up but are a aggravating.

CA Framing4.PNG

1 minute ago, ACADuser said:

Thanks Larry but the room method is full of issues.

Part of the problem is that the pop out is 12" higher than the house floor.

I raised the floor & made the floor 12" thick and it is close to the configuration desired.

Those issues might be easy to clean up but are a aggravating.

CA Framing4.PNG

Couldn't agree more about the aggravation and still struggle to configure such things. Just thought it might be a reasonable option.

Back to manual framing & simplified the framing somewhat.

2x12 for the horizontal portion & post for the vertical portion.

BTW Doug, the outside corner is hanging from the balcony trusses above.

Simpson straps & plywood glued & nailed will hold up the decorative wall element.

Thanks All.

CA Frame5.PNG