What are these lines and how do I get rid of them?

bdillard1

Go to solution Solved by tommy1,

• Solution

Those are island rooms and Chief automatically places an invisible wall to an exterior wall so that you can have room definition. If you don't change the plan for those rooms, just create a new layer and put those invisible walls on it so you can turn them off in plan view.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chief is programmed to work in specific ways, part of the leaning curve is to observe and learn these barriers or conventions and work with them to get your projects completed. Tommy, above is pointing out one of those conventions. You can control this in Edit-Preferences if you wish but  it is better to just let the program run as intended by its makers.

DJP

• Like 1

Generally speaking, you don't want island rooms. All interior rooms should connect to and exterior wall or connect to another wall that somewhere down the road connects to an exterior wall. You can place another invisible wall to the exterior wall and then delete the invisible wall you don't want.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Tommy! When I get closer to having an idea what spaces I want, that will be important info!   I have a ton to learn.   I'd have someone who does this for a living fix my drawings but every nuggest like that helps me to get a little more realistic.

So are you saying I'd throw some framing up between the foam on the walls and attach the island rooms to that framing?

3 hours ago, bdillard1 said:

Thanks - I guess they don't matter much but for some reason it is messing up my room measurement - is there a way to let CA do what it thinks is right but not have it divide the measure ment down the middle?

image.thumb.png.056668f0c2b73c90ae055cf299702e26.png

Make a Full Foundation Walltype so you don't end up with little "rooms" behind the Insulated 2x4 basement wall ....ie combine it with the FDN Wall Conc. Wall

image.thumb.png.19cf9c77a3f97e4768302784b9c3f17f.png

Thanks - 3 of the rooms have short ceilings for the sake of sound isolation.    I'll have ductwork and wiring going through the trusses (once I put them in).   I realize thanks to your suggestion, I don't need a roof over the storage area as it won't be making any noise.

I recommend that you always leave "Connect Island Rooms" turned on

The program will automatically put in a room divider wall when your plan has an unconnected room. The program does this because having unconnected island rooms can cause a multitude of problems with room definitions which can affect things like living area calculations, floors and ceilings, room moldings, and lots more. 

Unless you really know what you are doing, you should not turn them off.  Even if you do know what you are doing, there really isn't much reason to turn them off.  All you are doing is setting yourself up for problems that are hard to figure out if you accidently forget to manually connect your rooms.

If you don't like where the program puts them, then you can just move them.  You can also draw your own wall connection and then you will be able to delete the one the program automatically put in.

If you don't want to see them, then you can just turn the layer off.  If you want to see your normal room divider walls, but not the automatic ones, then just put them on a custom layer and turn that layer off.  Please remember that just because they are hidden they may still affect things like bumping, snapping, dimensions, etc.  For this reason, I would keep them turned on in your working drawings but turn them off in your construction documents.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1