I am in process of shopping a new desktop (still running an old XP) and exploring the custom built companies online. Does anyone have any experience with CPU Solutions? Puget? Cyberpowerpc? Or have recommendations for any others?

Configurations are so complex, especially when looking at gaming systems. I want to stay in the mid teens for cost. I am making an assumption overclocking is NOT something I want or need, same with liquid cooling systems. My main use of Chief is residential and I want to be able to do raytracing. I have decided on the I7 4th generation, Windows 7 Pro, Nvidia GTX 760 or 770 depending on the $$$, SSD drive though not certain what size will be effective.

Any input and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Curt:

I went with Win7 also

some will recommend Win 8

HP and some other vendors and now offering new Win7 PC's again

$1500 is a good aiming point

above or below depends on your needs/wants

Lew

I would definitely go with Windows 8, don't get left in the dust. Chief tests on windows 8, that is the future. It runs very well on my windows 8.1 system.

I wanted to go with win 7 for other reasons, one being I have an HP DesignJet 750c plus plotter. In my research I haven't found any drivers compatible with win 8.

I am running Windows 8 with an add on called Classic Shell. I built my own system 4 months ago with almost the exact specs you mentioned for around $2100. See my signature. Right now I am building a new system with the top notch i7 4960X Extreme but all the other specs will be basically the same. It's a lot easier then I thought it would be.

The SD makes boot up and Chief load up very fast. I would have loved a system with a dual Xeon setup, but who can afford that on the salaries we make? And SLI or Crossfire isn't supported yet by Chief so there is no reason for multiple video cards yet.

Good luck.

See my specs in my signature.

All together it was about $1800, including the monitors.

Carmel, regarding the Classic Shell - What does it do? Does it allow older windows drivers to function? Is it automatic so for example when I want to plot something it will work or is there some other steps envolved? What are you using it for?

Carmel, I am wondering how much time you spent building your own. I know I have the mechanical knowledge, but setting up the system to run I am no knowledge, and don't really have the time. When looking at the interior of a computer it looks relatively simple to put together.

Joe, Thanks for your spec though I do want a stronger video card. Was setting up 3 monitors simple? I understand X6 is set up for multiple monitors. How many monitors are run off the GT640? I assume one of the monitors is run off the motherboard.

Thanks for the info. Really want to pull the trigger on my new computer.

I read about Classic Shell and I assume Start 8 is similar. Based on what I read this is only a way of giving Win 8 a similar look to XP. It does not make any differences regarding allowing older printer drivers work in WIn8.

I want to be able to use my HP Design 750C plus plotter.

I'm not positive about printer drivers, but I think the Win 7 printer drivers are compatible with Windows 8. But it would be worth testing that out to verify if it is a concern.

I have been researching this and there are many that say that is true. I found out that I can use a shared printer on an XP machine and supposedly that works. I will try, I have a laptop with Win 8. All I have to do is figure out a way for the laptop to see the XP computer. That was not automatic - not sure why.

I would use a virtual Win 8 Hyper-V or Oracle VBox setup with native XP 64bit.  Best performance for your legacy printer without the need for workarounds or maintaining additional hardware.

jon

Carmel, regarding the Classic Shell - What does it do? Does it allow older windows drivers to function? Is it automatic so for example when I want to plot something it will work or is there some other steps envolved? What are you using it for?

Carmel, I am wondering how much time you spent building your own. I know I have the mechanical knowledge, but setting up the system to run I am no knowledge, and don't really have the time. When looking at the interior of a computer it looks relatively simple to put together.

Joe, Thanks for your spec though I do want a stronger video card. Was setting up 3 monitors simple? I understand X6 is set up for multiple monitors. How many monitors are run off the GT640? I assume one of the monitors is run off the motherboard.

Thanks for the info. Really want to pull the trigger on my new computer.

I'm running 3 monitors HDMI1, HDMI2 & VGA.  The HiRes 30" requires HDMI to get the full 2560x1620 resolution.

I run a "classic" HP 650C and I run it using a five year old basic computer whose only purpose is to print from.  So from CA I generate a PDF on my network and simply use the old dog to print.  I wouldn't avoid upgrading to Win8 because it wont print.  Just repurpose what you are using now.