realistic renderings

decorators3

Hi

I see some fabulous renderings on CA facebook..  Are these designs created with CA and then rendered outside CA site.??  My renderings are not bad but some of the ones I see look so realistic.. I'm wondering where they are rendered   If these samples I see are done thru  CA ' rendering feature then I definitely need more practice and instruction.  If there are other sources can anyone tell me the best ones to look into..

Many Thanks

CA x 11

Photo realistic is what you are looking for, I presume. As an avid Blender user since 1997, the evolution of [free] Blender is just mind blowing. Pixar, Apple, Adobe, all the big ones have gone patron investing in Blender the last year. You export dae, import in Blender and your render options are endless.

Some samples https://is.gd/5f3Squ

If one Blender add-on you might want to buy as an exterior renderer, it's Botaniq https://is.gd/xVMlbw 

I know, Blender might feel a bit intimidating for a newcomer, am thinking of writing a step-by-step course on how to export from CA, achieving photo realistic render in Blender.

Thank you so much.   I would definitely follow your instructions - such a good idea for a step by step course would be s helpful.. Showing is so much more informative  There is so much out there that I don't always know which is best or how to go about getting it done

Cheers

Levina

• 1 month later...

I recently had a 1 hour personal training session with a Chief Architect trainer they set me up with named Kayla Lockhart.  There are some tricks to getting the settings correct in the new real time ray tracing and I found it very helpful to have some one on one instruction.  I'd highly recommend this option as the lighting and the material adjustments make a big difference in the quality of the ray trace produced.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/8/2021 at 3:26 PM, decorators3 said:

not sure about exporting dae  never done it before

File > Export > Collada. 

That’s the .dae format.  I think it’s the best format. If you’re on apple then you even get the 3D model in the file thumbnail in the finder window. 

Another free option is TwinMotion. 

You should checkout Rene Rabbit's YouTube channel for Chief to TwinMotion tutorials. 

https://youtube.com/channel/UCbkgwAcrZQP0Ek0bNmqpgAQ

Thank you all for your replies I am checking out the videos  suggested and find them  very helpful . The rendering information is great but my computer does not render what I'm seeing in the videos and as suggested by Chief I have to have many more passes than suggested plus I loose my blacks - turn out grey .

My system works slowing and not great renderings so I am wondering if someone could point me in the right  direction .  Wondering if  I need a new computer or an external graphics card 

This is my laptop info

Device name    Levina-PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz   2.40 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
Device ID    0AF3687A-039A-4D63-8688-BC8C0A4AEA1B
Product ID    00326-10000-00000-AA091
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display

Thanks so much  This forum is a wonderful access for information from experienced users  but though I can create and design clients wants - I am not technically savvy.  The last thing I want to do is bring my laptop to the store and ask for assistance because I am not sure I would be given the correct info.  Sorry to be so cynical but experience has been a wonderful albeit too late teacher.  I was told I should have a 4 - 8 GB

Any suggestions will will appreciated

New computer or external devises

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Time of this report: 12/27/2021, 15:09:03
             Machine name: 
               Machine Id: {0AF3687A-039A-4D63-8688-BC8C0A4AEA1B}
         Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
             System Model: Satellite P70-A
                     BIOS: 1.40 (type: UEFI)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16148MB RAM
                Page File: 7988MB used, 10591MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Supported
 DirectX Database Version: 1.3.2
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.0928 64bit Unicode

not sure if any of this is what you are requesting

NVIDIA INFO.JPG

NVIDIA.JPG

system.JPG

If you are still on x11 as your SIG suggests you won't have the new Real Time raytracing (RTRT) in Chief , so some of Dermot links won't be helpful, as the new RTRT only came in X13.

Yes your laptop is pretty old now 5yrs? , so it will be slower , the Nvidia 740m was never a really strong mobile chip.  If you don't really need a Laptop you will get more bang for your buck with a Desktop if you are considering upgrading.

M.

Most of the training videos I posted above are probably still pretty useful for X11.  The webinars are more specific to X13 and might not be as helpful unless you are thinking about upgrading to X13 (should be $1,075.75 with the current sale price).  X13 is much more demanding on your video card though and you won't be able to use the new real-time raytracing feature unless you have a card that supports it which adds to the cost.

As for hardware recommendations, this blog article has some pretty good info (but again, some of it is more specific towards X13):

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/blog/computer-for-design-and-gaming/

2 hours ago, decorators3 said:

so if I don't have X13 should I get a new  graphics card or computer,  I cant afford to get X13 and a computer

Guess I will have to go t the shop and find out what will work or get in touch with  tech at Chief and check it out

I don't think the Nvidia 740M supports the new RTRT Engine in X13 as it does not support Shader Model 6.0 according to the TechPowerup Site

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gt-740m.c2310

so there would not be much point in getting x13 and expecting better renderings , I would suggest you download the chief Trial version of x13 and trying it out.

A new laptop should give you better all round performance but a desktop will be better again IF you don't really need to be mobile , you'd still have old laptop for that, it should Run x13 , you just won't get the new RTRT Views.

11 hours ago, solver said:

Don't forget about Ray Trace. It takes longer but will always look better than a PBR or RTRT.

Yes.. Thank you .. Its what I usually use but unfortunately my system cannot render like it did.  I'm assuming as programs in Chief increase and improve it features etc.  I will have to invest in a new computer or just rely on standard renderings. In the meantime it does take a while to access the library content so maybe the investment will be worth it ( once I know what to get) I also notice that chiefs furniture and accessories  people lighting etc are not really up to par with other design sites but I guess where chief is an architectural program the aesthetics are not top priority.  

Maybe I should rethink investing in Chief and pursue another design software that may work better for me.  

Lots of options

Thanks again

11 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Ok I have your recommended system computer info and will check into it .  I'm wondering if it is really necessary to upgrade every time Chief comes up with a newer program,  Seems it will get a bit pricey if all the added bells and whistles are not really needed.

so X13 should work even on my probably outdated system just the ray tracing may not work for ray tracing

11 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I don't think the Nvidia 740M supports the new RTRT Engine in X13 as it does not support Shader Model 6.0 according to the TechPowerup Site

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gt-740m.c2310

so there would not be much point in getting x13 and expecting better renderings , I would suggest you download the chief Trial version of x13 and trying it out.

A new laptop should give you better all round performance but a desktop will be better again IF you don't really need to be mobile , you'd still have old laptop for that, it should Run x13 , you just won't get the new RTRT Views.

Normally, you should not need to upgrade to new hardware every time you upgrade to a new version of Chief.  X13 is pretty unique because it has a brand new rendering engine that is taking advantage of the latest video card technology and is much more demanding on your hardware.  Most of the time it is more a question of how much money are you willing to spend to save some time doing your job.  

There is a big difference in price between a new system that will run X13 well and a new system with a video card capable of using the new real-time raytracing.  I priced out a new off-the-shelf home computer a couple of months ago and found about a 2X price difference.  If you want to continue using the CPU based ray tracing engine and don't really need the real-time raytracing, then you might be able to purchase the upgrade and a decent system that will run X13 for something that is still within your budget.  

You should also consider all of the new features in X12 and X13 that you might find helpful:

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/marketing/x13-new-features.pdf

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/marketing/x12-new-features.pdf

Along with these there might be some newer library content that is available that you might not be able to take advantage of with X11.

I highly recommend calling our sales team and speaking with someone who can walk you through some of your options and what we might recommend for you specifically.

2 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Normally, you should not need to upgrade to new hardware every time you upgrade to a new version of Chief.  X13 is pretty unique because it has a brand new rendering engine that is taking advantage of the latest video card technology and is much more demanding on your hardware.  Most of the time it is more a question of how much money are you willing to spend to save some time doing your job.  

There is a big difference in price between a new system that will run X13 well and a new system with a video card capable of using the new real-time raytracing.  I priced out a new off-the-shelf home computer a couple of months ago and found about a 2X price difference.  If you want to continue using the CPU based ray tracing engine and don't really need the real-time raytracing, then you might be able to purchase the upgrade and a decent system that will run X13 for something that is still within your budget.  

You should also consider all of the new features in X12 and X13 that you might find helpful:

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/marketing/x13-new-features.pdf

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/marketing/x12-new-features.pdf

Along with these there might be some newer library content that is available that you might not be able to take advantage of with X11.

I highly recommend calling our sales team and speaking with someone who can walk you through some of your options and what we might recommend for you specifically.

that is a great idea.  I will  do that  Thank you

5 hours ago, decorators3 said:

Ok I have your recommended system computer info and will check into it .  I'm wondering if it is really necessary to upgrade every time Chief comes up with a newer program,  Seems it will get a bit pricey if all the added bells and whistles are not really needed.

so X13 should work even on my probably outdated system just the ray tracing may not work for ray tracing

I assume this quote is yours as it wasn't mine as it says above for some reason........

No it's not usually but as Dermot mentioned X13 has a brand new 3D Engine and as CA is fully 3D even 2D elevations won't work on some older Videocards ( as reported by some here) , but unfortunately Laptops are not usually upgradeable as far as Graphics Cards go like a Desktop can be.

paying the annual SSA is still the cheapest way to stay current in CA, missing yrs makes it more expensive to upgrade, but I am not sure if they allow monthly SSA payments now or not ?  but it isn't needed for the 1st year if you upgrade.

I would ask if they will allow you to run X12 instead of x13 if you current computer graphics card fails in X13 though before upgrading, otherwise you'd need a new computer with a Nvidia 2000 or 3000 series video card to run X13 as well. X12 had nice renderings even in standard view, which IMHO x13 had not duplicated yet.

M.