Roof Schedule - decimals

robdyck

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

Is there any way to get CA to report this area in the schedule rounded to a whole number without using a custom field? The custom field doesn't populate in the totals row, and I feel that area to the hundredths is perhaps more exact than needed for calculating roof sheathing / shingles!

image.thumb.png.7782b4f8f59a035530aaa7d27b12dd4e.png

For the "MY AREA" column I used a custom object field: %surface_area.round%

I actually do not want to use macros, I just want to know if there's a way to get Chief to automatically drop the decimal places for areas that are included in a Roof schedule. 

By contrast, in a Room Schedule, the included area column is rounded.

11 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I actually do not want to use macros, I just want to know if there's a way to get Chief to automatically drop the decimal places for areas that are included in a Roof schedule. 

By contrast, in a Room Schedule, the included area column is rounded.

I am probably wrong on this but cant you do: 

%surface_area.round(1)% or %surface_area.round(0)%

10 minutes ago, rgardner said:

I am probably wrong on this but cant you do: 

%surface_area.round(1)% or %surface_area.round(0)%

Yes, I can, I just don't want to. The real question is can CA do that?

In my original snippet, I've added an example column titled "MY AREA" which contains a macro showing an example of the rounded area. I do not want to use this column. I do not want to use macros. Why not? Because there is no default OIP for roof planes so this can't be setup in a template plan. My goal is a cleaner output automatically with less work. I have no intention of actually adding macros to roof planes on dozens of plans.

10 minutes ago, robdyck said:

That is in fact a macro. 

I would try %surface_area.to_f.round(0)%  

I think there may be a problem with rounding of a measurement.  Note that surface_area is not a numerical value so it might not be actually getting rounded.  Thats the reason for the to_f to convert the measurement to a floating point number.

• Solution
3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I refuse!

So what you need to do is request a software change to provide an OIP to Roof Defaults.

There's really no alternative that I know of.  The column data predefined in Chiefs Schedules is pre-formatted as text and can't be modified.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I have no intention of actually adding macros to roof planes on dozens of plans.

They can be added to your Templates' Roof Label , no need to manually add to "every roof plane" 

* Edit: You'd need to marquee select Roof planes and add to the Label

M.

Thanks for the confirmation Joe. That's what I suspected. I will submit a formal feature request. I'd prefer to give my customer's as much information as is reasonable on a plan set, however IMO adding macros to roof planes is not reasonable for most projects. 2 decimal places it is. 

To me, the programmer's choice to use 2 decimal places in these fields is a head scratcher.

4 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Yes, but if there are changes to the completed plan then that work will need to be redone. 

Why?  The schedule should be automatically updated.  The only exception would be if you added roof plane(s) that didn't have the macro in the custom field.

6 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

The only exception would be if you added roof plane(s) that didn't have the macro in the custom field.

That happens! Way too often, there are changes other than just edits! I know you can edit / copy a roof plane, but if you forget and add a roof plane, now your schedule is incomplete. I can't be the only one who has already got enough places where user error sneaks into a plan set.

7 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I'm not sure how or where you'd setup a default Roof Label...

I must be thinking of a different Schedule I was playing with in X12......

A marquee Select and Add to label should work though and wouldn't take too long...

M.

Edit All Roof Planes is definitely a super quick way to get the rounded area to the OIP, no doubt about that. So I get to choose between using rounded areas or including the totals row.

I think the totals row trumps the rounded area.